It's may be hard to remember, but it used to be that White House news barely made the news.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: At the risk of sounding like the description of "Seinfeld" – a show about nothing …

We're going to be very honest when we say that today's Banter Bite's really about nothing – nothing special. Or, maybe it's better described as nothing earth-shattering, nothing alarming, nothing controversial.

And although there were plenty of stories in the news, there wasn't anything that we felt compelled to comment on (but that didn't stop us from talking on the phone throughout the day). Now, don't get us wrong. There's plenty to talk about in terms of what's going on in D.C., but politics aside, you must admit that, on the surface anyway, things are significantly less volatile and a lot more measured. And for that, we're grateful. So …

We're not going to talk just for the sake of talking, or write for the sake of writing, as much as our readers might think that we always have something to say about everything and anything. Instead, we should all take a deep breath and enjoy the calm and quiet.

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less