Lazyllama / Alamy Stock Photo

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Now that the Olympics are over, I'll admit that I didn't watch much of them. But years from now, what I'll remember, besides the impact of COVID-19, will be gymnast Simone Biles removing herself from competition because of a mental health issue. Obviously, it was totally unexpected and sad, yet so inspiring as people – from other athletes to fans to broadcasters to celebrities – rallied behind her.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When she came back to win the bronze medal on the balance beam, she explained how it meant "more than all the golds." I believe that looking back, she may find that this was her most important and far-reaching Olympics, as she not only shone a light on the importance of mental health, but she changed the narrative making it ok to not be ok.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Absolutely. But I also loved seeing the various clips of her cheering on her teammates and even congratulating competitors. The other thing I'll remember is that story you sent me about the two high jumpers who were tied for gold when the bar was raised to the Olympics-record height, although neither of them made it. They were going to decide the winner with a jump-off until one of them asked if they could have two golds.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Apparently, they are friends on and off the track, but the spirit of sportsmanship surpassed even friendship in this case. At the risk of sounding warm and fuzzy, which is your area of responsibility, that is one of many stories about athletes helping one another, celebrating with each other, showing kindness towards each other, even in the face of disappointment.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It reminds me of why I loved watching the Olympics when I was growing up – the love and joy of sports where winning was the ultimate goal but not to the point where it overshadowed everything.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think for many, if not most, athletes, that is probably the way they still feel. Or, if you were to watch the Olympics via TikTok (some great stories and links), you would see the "human" or what you refer to as the "mere mortal" aspects of the Olympics. Unfortunately, from a bigger perspective, the Olympics has "succumbed" (for lack of a better word) over time to outside forces as it became a big business, influenced by politics, and the controversy of performance-enhancing drugs.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please save that for another day. I don't mind talking about the history of the Olympics dating back thousands of years, but if we're talking about modern times, I prefer to focus on "feel good" stories. I always have. Even when I watched it as a kid, one of my favorite parts of the telecast was all the athlete profiles.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It is the power of stories. And the fact they are not only world champion athletes – they are people. The stories and profiles can be inspirational because it shows they are more than just skills, it shows the humanity, the hard work, the dedication. And, oftentimes, the trade-offs and disappointments.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that over the decades, there have been so many inspiring Olympic moments, but the most memorable, at least for me, are the personal ones about the athletes. And this year, my biggest "take-away" will be Simone Biles and her extraordinary achievement in coming back to win the bronze. She showed you should never count someone out, especially if they not only have unfathomable athletic skills but the heart and commitment to facing challenges head-on and overcoming them, even when those challenges are deep within themselves.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And that, to me, is the essence of the Olympics. The world records and medal counts may be easier to track, but it is the impact and ripple effect of the athletes that will stay with us once the games are over.
Image by osbkin on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I love history and understand that “Lincoln freed the slaves,” but the Civil War was about more than slavery. It was about preserving the Union, and about states’ rights (some things never change) and westward expansion. However, once President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the war between the states would be forever remembered as a war to end slavery. Although I’ll admit that I’d never of Juneteenth until I moved to Texas. And I was surprised to learn it took two and half years after the Emancipation Proclamation for slaves in Texas to be set free, but that explains why Juneteenth’s celebrated as the end of slavery in the United States. And why it was declared a federal holiday in 2021.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Change is never as simple as issuing proclamations. Especially since slavery represented systemic racism, inequality, and inhumanity. Real change requires words and actions, and a change in mindset. Celebrating the end of slavery is noble, but it should also serve as a reminder of where we are and how far we still have to go. Ending racism is not as simple as saying it is wrong but recognizing that it still exists is an important start.
Image by Kenishirotie on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Father’s Day , when I think of Daddy, I think about alligators and turtles. I know that might sound crazy, especially as there are so many wonderful memories, but those stand out. As does the fact that every day, he taught me about unconditional love and was always there for me. And even though he passed away over 20 years ago, the memories are as strong, both emotionally and “visually”, as if it was just yesterday. And for that, I’m so grateful.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you are probably expecting me to talk about how Father’s Day is, in many ways, a form of “equal rights" since Mother’s Day was already in existence , or maybe the business aspects of it being a “ retail holiday ”. Instead, at the risk of sounding warm and fuzzy, I will just say that dads always have a very special place in the hearts of their “little girls” … no matter how old those “girls” become.

Wishing all dads a very Happy Father’s Day!

Photo by nycshooter on iStock
It seems most appropriate that Flag Day falls during Effective Communication Month, or at least it does to Black, who years ago had suggested Red use race flags as a fun (and “safe”) way to communicate with her teenage daughter. From that point on, Red never looked at the “Stars & Stripes” the same way again … because she learned flags might be one of the most straightforward and effective ways to communicate – whether feelings of pride and support, messages to racecar drivers, or even to indicate your moods.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4 th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory . Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.
Keep Reading ...Show less