Thanksgiving's my favorite holiday of the year, but this year I feel like it's barely going to be a holiday. It makes me sad.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you still going to have decorations throughout the house and your big inflatable turkey in the front yard?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you kidding? He's my favorite inflatable and has been on our front lawn since right after Halloween! Inside, I pared down the amount of decorations years ago. Just enough to make it festive, but not overwhelming in terms of set-up and take-down.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you still planning to cook a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? I know the last few years it has only been a handful of people, and there are only two (Mom and me) who are not part of your COVID "bubble".

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course! I always make too much food so I can send Mom home with lots of leftovers. This year, I'll just be delivering it as a big care package and, like everything else I deliver, leaving it in the laundry room. Since she's almost 93 with pre-existing conditions, we haven't had face-to-face, or even mask-to-mask, contact since March. Anyway, I guess that means you'll want to place your "delivery" order.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, do not take this the wrong way, but now I have an excuse for not coming over and eating way too much. Especially as I am not a huge fan of turkey or dressing. Or, desserts. Although, if you get your usual Honey Baked Ham, I might want a few slices.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, you buy the ham and I merely pick it up and serve it. But I can probably get away with not making a zillion desserts this year. Since it will just be a few of us in the house, even with making everyone their favorite dessert, it will be a lot less work.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The last few years I brought pies from Whole Foods to cover some of the "favorites" and I can do that again this year. I will just drop them off, wish everyone "Happy Thanksgiving" from a distance, grab my to-go order, and be on my way. In fact, I may become a "Thanksgiving Santa" and deliver pies to some other people, too.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I used to bake cookies for the girls to give as Christmas gifts, but I've never thought about delivering Thanksgiving food to others. That could become a new tradition. And it could be as simple as just making extra portions of what's already planned.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Which to some extent is what the Pilgrims did … they shared their good fortune and available food and crops with the Indians. So, is that not the true spirit of the holiday?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who doesn't cook. And never has people over to her home. But I guess one of the good things about a pandemic Turkey Day is that I can delete "cleaning the house" from my traditional Thanksgiving to-do list since there will be no one coming over to judge me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I can understand guests judging your sweet potatoes or cranberry sauce, but your housekeeping abilities? An issue the pilgrims did not have to worry about since their celebratory feasts were outdoor events. Although this year, they would be considered super-spreaders.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute. I thought about doing something outside, but we don't have a large picnic table, the weather's never predictable, and it wouldn't necessarily allow you to socially distance when your masks are off to eat.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

We each need to be creative and find what works best for our situation. It will be the most difficult for people who usually travel to be with family or are used to having a large gathering for a traditional Thanksgiving feast. It does not mean that people cannot still "get together" and celebrate – whether it is having a "Zoom" Thanksgiving meal or just a smaller outdoor gathering where you visit but do not eat. But, for some, it may mean just visiting over the phone with people you are grateful to have in your life.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Careful! You're starting to sound warm and fuzzy. Anyway, every year I have a list of people I either call or text on Thanksgiving. Because it'll be a much smaller and "easier" Thanksgiving means there will be more time to spend with them.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

It also frees up time to stop and give thanks. To appreciate what you have in your life.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, which to me is the true meaning of Thanksgiving. Although I'll admit I have my own special traditions.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Do I even want to know?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Probably not. I wake up, turn on "The Godfather" movie marathon on TV, and start cooking. I love the break from my normal routine and having the freedom to cook all day, coupled with the feeling that it means fall's really here, even if the thermometer doesn't always indicate that.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Sounds like your Thanksgiving traditions will continue, although modified slightly.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, it will definitely be a bit different. And, on a good note, maybe even less hectic. Maybe I'll even be able to earmark time to just "chill" and quietly give thanks for the positive things in my life.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The Pilgrims would be proud.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

So, what are your plans since you won't be eating with us? Oh wait, let me guess. You'll be working on Red & Black so you can have uninterrupted peace and quiet.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. Because that is my Thanksgiving tradition.

Quick! Define literacy (without Google or Siri's help). Ok, finished? We bet that you may have stopped at the ability to read and write. Which, technically, isn't wrong. It just isn't completely right, either. Which is what Red found out when she discovered, much to her surprise, that it includes such critical areas as financial, digital, and health literacy.

Red even admitted to Black that she didn't understand all those terms, although she had another concern … was Black going to use her as a poster child for her lack of literacy skills in this month's column, "RED & BLACK … A Blueprint For Life?!"

P.S. – This month's column is in honor of September being Adult & Family Literacy Month.

Underlying photo by mphillips007 on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't believe how quickly the year's flying by. And that tomorrow's already the fall equinox.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I cannot believe that you know that but did not know when Rosh Hashanah fell this year.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I got the dates mixed up. And I'll admit I had to look up the fall equinox date because it also varies slightly from year to year.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, the equinox is not a day, but rather an exact moment – when the Sun crosses the Equator.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Picky, picky, picky. But if I remember correctly, although science class was decades ago, on the equinox, we have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not exactly, but close enough. But, why are we even talking about this?
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Spauln on iStock

Initially, I just chalked this up to being "old" and accepting the fact I remember telephones before they were "smart" (and will admit they can make me feel "less-than-smart"). I am old enough to remember rotary dial phones (see the image above) where you had to place a finger in the hole associated with the number, then rotate the dial round to the end-stop and let the dial return under its own power. I will not go into the science behind it, but it was extremely reliable – although very hard on your manicure.

But, this is not about the history of telephones or the associated technology that has improved to the point computers that once required a large, air-conditioned room can now fit in your back pocket or handbag. This is not about us all (regardless of age) needing to be digitally literate. It is not about the fact the older we are, the larger the screen size we prefer, although we might claim it is a function of what we are used to versus admitting to declining vision as we age.

Rather, this is about a recent experience that first made me feel old. Then roll my eyes. And then open my eyes to an opportunity.

Keep Reading ... Show less