Words & Banter

NOT Political Commentators

Design by Sawyer Pennington

The back of our book states, "We are real people. We are not claiming to be experts in any given field, but rather are becoming experts of our own lives. "However, since many of our daily Banter Bites are political in nature, we want you to know that we are NOT political commentators either … even though it seems so much of our daily lives have become political. Even the wearing of masks, which we strongly believe is a health and safety issue, has become a political issue.

In terms of the presidential election, we've tried to remain neutral and merely give you food-for-thought on different aspects and topics. The reality is that Red and Black don't always agree on politics, but unlike friends and acquaintances that you can distance yourself from due to politics (that could be a post onto itself), we're sisters that work together, so we've had to find a way to get past that. The funny thing is that along the way, we've learned to explain our respective positions (which can be a challenge since one of us is emotional and family oriented while the other is pragmatic and business oriented) and actually give each other food-for-thought.

We know there are many political commentators out there, as well as politicians who give commentary. Some are more educational than others, some are more accurate than others, some are more entertaining than others. We're not claiming to be any of those … we're merely letting you eavesdrop on how we're dealing with life in a very political environment.

P.S. – Having said all that, Red would love to see Black on "Real Time with Bill Maher."So, does anyone know how to make that happen?!

Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less