Banter Bites

No Power. No Water. No Giving Up.

There are things you just don't expect to see in Texas … and now will never forget.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We knew a winter storm was coming to Texas, as it dominated the local news for a good part of last week and certainly going into the weekend.

Red, of course, had her hurricane preparedness lists, and looked to those to be as prepared as possible. Of course, there were additional things that had to be considered for a winter storm – like wrapping external pipes, having faucets drip, and having warm clothing and blankets ready. (Northerners may be used to prolonged sub-zero temperatures, Southerners are not. But, at least being from New York, we knew what to do.)

But you can plan and prepare all you want. When the power goes out for an extended period of time (no matter what the cause) it's a shock and you have to quickly go from planning mode to reaction mode. Which is what happened to both of us, with Black's high-rise losing power early in the storm and Red's house joining the millions (!) without power a day later. Our specific situations aren't important, but we're each very grateful that we're back "online" and are writing this from our homes where power has been restored. (Luckily, we didn't lose water.)

But throughout the last few days, we've been inspired by the resilience and heart of Texans who just don't give up. In times of need, Texans come together. Whether it's neighbors helping each other, strangers handing out blankets and bottles of water, restaurants giving away food, or Mattress Mack opening Gallery Furniture megastores as shelters, Texans are tough, big-hearted, and never give up.

Our hearts go out to all those that have been impacted, and especially those still without power and water. We ask that everyone do whatever they can, even if it's just conserving power and water, to try to help others. As always, we'll overcome this challenge. Together.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less