There was no way to know a little boy's wish to be a police officer would transform millions of lives.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It started with one little boy's wish, and 41 years later, more than 500,000 wishes have been granted by The Make-A-Wish Foundation, and so many of our lives have been touched, so we hope you join us in celebration of World Wish Day.

Although The Make-A-Wish Foundation is now in nearly 50 countries across five continents, Red doesn't remember hearing about them before returning to live in the States and moving to Houston, where she soon became aware of Black's involvement. And it quickly spread through the family as Red's daughter Natasha, and later Sawyer, grew up not only admiring their aunt's commitment to helping grant life-changing wishes for critically ill children, but were inspired to do what they could. Red has fond memories of many lemonade stands over the years where her daughters used all their charm and persuasion to raise money for the local chapter of The Make-A-Wish Foundation.

While Red wasn't surprised that Black found innovative ways to raise money (such as using the roof of her Ferrari Challenge race car as a "sponsorship" opportunity and requesting donations in lieu of wedding gifts), she had no idea just how involved Black was in her local chapter. But over time, she became aware that for Black, The Make-A-Wish Foundation was more than a Board position or charitable contribution, it's a passion and a part of her daily life.

Of course, Red was curious as to how Black planned to celebrate World Wish Day (April 29), and after Black replied, "With JJ Watt," she invited Red to the Texas Gulf Coast & Louisiana chapter's digital celebration,

How does granting 24 wishes in 24 hours sound? And, to make it even more exciting, wish granter and football great, JJ Watt will be featured in a 24-minute event celebrating 24 wish kids. This year's theme is "Don't Wait for Hope. Create It." and all it takes to participate is a click of the finger to register.

World Wish Day celebrates the anniversary of the first wish that inspired the founding of The Make-A-Wish Foundation, but every day is the perfect day to help to bring hope and joy to not only a wish kid but their families.

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less

When you look at someone with a tattoo, what's your first thought?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although tattoos have been around for thousands of years, how they're perceived has changed dramatically over the last few decades; just ask Red, who when she was growing up would've made a face and responded, "Yuck," while Black would've said she found them cool and (just to annoy our mom) that she could see getting one.

Keep Reading ... Show less