There was no way to know a little boy's wish to be a police officer would transform millions of lives.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It started with one little boy's wish, and 41 years later, more than 500,000 wishes have been granted by The Make-A-Wish Foundation, and so many of our lives have been touched, so we hope you join us in celebration of World Wish Day.

Although The Make-A-Wish Foundation is now in nearly 50 countries across five continents, Red doesn't remember hearing about them before returning to live in the States and moving to Houston, where she soon became aware of Black's involvement. And it quickly spread through the family as Red's daughter Natasha, and later Sawyer, grew up not only admiring their aunt's commitment to helping grant life-changing wishes for critically ill children, but were inspired to do what they could. Red has fond memories of many lemonade stands over the years where her daughters used all their charm and persuasion to raise money for the local chapter of The Make-A-Wish Foundation.

While Red wasn't surprised that Black found innovative ways to raise money (such as using the roof of her Ferrari Challenge race car as a "sponsorship" opportunity and requesting donations in lieu of wedding gifts), she had no idea just how involved Black was in her local chapter. But over time, she became aware that for Black, The Make-A-Wish Foundation was more than a Board position or charitable contribution, it's a passion and a part of her daily life.

Of course, Red was curious as to how Black planned to celebrate World Wish Day (April 29), and after Black replied, "With JJ Watt," she invited Red to the Texas Gulf Coast & Louisiana chapter's digital celebration,

How does granting 24 wishes in 24 hours sound? And, to make it even more exciting, wish granter and football great, JJ Watt will be featured in a 24-minute event celebrating 24 wish kids. This year's theme is "Don't Wait for Hope. Create It." and all it takes to participate is a click of the finger to register.

World Wish Day celebrates the anniversary of the first wish that inspired the founding of The Make-A-Wish Foundation, but every day is the perfect day to help to bring hope and joy to not only a wish kid but their families.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less