You don’t have to be a fan of sports to be a fan of sports stories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s no secret that we see things differently, including major sports events; and while Red, although not a huge sports fan, prefers to focus on the athletes, while Black’s “range of interest” extends from the impact of politics to the effect of corporate sponsorship, there’s something about great comeback stories.

Like how the Cincinnati Bengals, perhaps the last team anyone thought would be in this year’s Super Bowl, are playing against the Los Angeles Rams in their home stadium. In Hollywood. Where dreams are made. Now, whether tomorrow’s Super Bowl will be a dream come true for the Bengals or an awakening from a dream to a different reality, there’s no getting around that it’s a great story.

As were the AFC and NFC finals games which were all about comebacks as both Super Bowl teams came from behind to win their conference titles. Not to mention, the Divisional Playoffs were all nail-biters, with each game decided on the final play. (Black’s not a football fan, but she does love statistics and odds.)

And then, since we’re in the midst of the Winter Olympics (we’ll ignore how much the Olympic Games have changed since we were kids), we’ll never forget a story so incredible that it became a movie – the 1980 U.S. men’s ice hockey team, the ultimate underdog, came from behind to beat the formidable Russians in the semi-finals and then took the gold against Finland.

What better proof for all of us that we should never give up because it’s not over until it’s over. Although, if you ask Red her favorite sports “comeback” story, it would be a vivid memory of Black that she told in A Way With Words … And Hockey Players?

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less