Words & Banter

Celebrate Today By Honoring Workers Of Every Day

Credit: Photo by Spukkato on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I suppose you celebrate Labor Day by just, well, laboring away on Red & Black. But that's how you celebrate most holidays. For me, I always enjoy celebrating the last three-day weekend of the summer, although the challenge will be deciding what to do this Labor Day (keeping in mind COVID-19, like you, doesn't take holidays off). I'm guessing a bike ride or movie, or maybe both.

But before you say anything, yes, I'm well aware that today's more than a day off and a potential "cut-off" for not wearing white anymore (😊). It's about honoring American workers and all the many contributions they've made and continue to make.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you love history, but do you know the history of Labor Day includes violence and a deadly railroad strike? And was a way for politicians to "prove" they cared about workers? Anyway, this year, given the pandemic and all the natural disasters, the idea of a day to celebrate American workers and heroes – and prove we care – is more important than ever before. And, could be as simple as saying "thank you" or sharing a favorite Labor Day quote.

And, yes, you are correct, I am working today. Because I enjoying working. And, my Labor Day "gift" for you will be to save all my emails to you until tomorrow, and your gift to me could be letting me get back to work.
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

Are you taking the Dry January challenge and not having any alcohol for the month? Or, maybe you plan to drink less (but not nothing), which makes it Damp January. Or, maybe this is the first you’ve heard of it. (If so, there’s still time to start!)

Well, nothing much has changed from our approach to Dry January last year, except the one who had started drinking more last year is continuing the trend …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK , started Dry January , where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.

It’s January, and everyone’s probably tired of reading about New Year’s resolutions.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not me. Since I never make them, I never feel the need to read about them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you don’t. So, what should we write about?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How about that we celebrate some of our favorite things in January?

So many “National Days” in January are fun (we’ve written about them over the years) and remind us of some of our favorite things. (Can you pick which are Red’s favorite holidays and which are Black’s?) And whether or not you make resolutions, it’s always important to have a sense of humor and enjoy the simpler things in life …

Answer: Red’s favorites are Bagels, Popcorn, and Hugging. Black’s are Clean Desk, Bagels, and Backward.

Wishing you Happy 2024 – with new beginnings and much more!