I don't know about you, but although I knew that 2019 was coming to an end, I hadn't really been thinking about it in terms of the end of a decade. That is, until I started seeing all the newspaper articles and television programs not only running their usual year-end summaries, but also looking back on the entire decade.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it definitely is not as big a deal as the turn of the century. I remember that everyone was worried about Y2K, and whether there would be serious computer problems related to going from 1999 to 2000. Plus, people were worried there would be a champagne shortage. But, neither of those two "catastrophes" actually happened.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Seriously? People were actually worried about a champagne shortage?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Wine producers and retailers probably started the idea of so much celebrating, and not enough champagne. Turns out there were shortages of some of the high-end champagnes in certain places, and overall champagne sales were up significantly.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I should've guessed that your memories would be business-related.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

In that instance, yes. But, you are the one who likes to travel down memory lane, not I. So, are you reminiscing about the past decade or just the past year?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Until all the media hype, I hadn't really thought about it being a new decade. But when I did, it was bittersweet because the girls were 10 years younger.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

So were you. So was I.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

But it's different when you're thinking about how quickly your children grow up. Anyway, I understand that you're not nostalgic, and you definitely never play the "what if" game, but I find it hard to believe that you won't reminisce, even a little, over the past 10 years, or even the last year.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Our past has led us to where we are, and you can learn from it, but that is different from reminiscing. You need to live in the present and know that it will influence the future.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

But how do you learn from the past if you don't take the time – and I'm not saying a large amount of time – to think back about it?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You do that as you go, you do not think back over an entire year. Or, an entire decade. Especially since those are arbitrary time periods based on calendars.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

When you put it like that, it does seem a little crazy. I guess it does make a lot more sense to just learn and make adjustments as you go vs. letting the "mistakes" pile up.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You cannot change the past. But, what you do today does impact the future. The key is finding the right balance between savoring the moment and planning for the future.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You'd think that as we get older, we'd learn to do things better, to approach things better, to just, well, at the risk of sounding like Melania Trump, be better. But for many of us, that's not the case.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

With age comes experience, not wisdom.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Wow! You're probably going to roll your eyes at this, but I never really thought about it that way. But it's so true. The concept of "learning from your mistakes" is something we hear a lot, especially when we're growing up. Unfortunately, I think that often stops when we become adults.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Learning should never stop – especially as we can learn from both our "mistakes" and our good experiences. It just takes the desire to do so.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds good, but for us "mere mortals" it can be a little more difficult, as we tend to do things the way we always have. We get caught up in our day-to-day lives and before you know it another week – another month – another year – another decade has come and gone.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The older we get, the quicker the years seem to fly by, which makes it even more critical to focus on what is truly important. Identifying your values and priorities, and making sure your decisions align with them.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You make it sound so easy but, trust me, it's not. Plus, you've always looked 20 years out and worked backward. For many of us that's a totally new way to look at life, especially those of us who like to reminisce.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of sounding like a Hallmark card, it is a new year, a time to look forward, not backward. Put another way, there is a reason your front windshield is significantly larger than your rear-view mirror.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You and your car analogies. But I have to admit it's a great visual. And I'll do my best to keep it in mind. But for now, I still can't believe it's 2020.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny thing is I started to wish you "20/20 vision" in 2020, then realized it refers to "average" vision … and why would I wish anyone an average year?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

For those of us who need glasses, 20/20 is what we strive for, and allows us to see things much clearer.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

In that case, I wish you 20/20 in 2020.

It was like any other weekday morning, a tumbler of hot coffee on my desk and the morning news on the TV in the background, as I brace myself as I open Outlook. Computer issues? Nope, especially now that I have a new computer. Instead, it's the daily onslaught of emails generated by Black as she seems to do her best thinking while the rest of us are sleeping.

Well, the subject line of one of her emails, "Crazy idea?", stands out and I open it to find an image of a Good Humor truck and a leading question:

Well, it's a new year but it really doesn't feel much different from last year. Even though there's a vaccine, the coronavirus is still a gray cloud hanging over us. Combine that with resolutions that typically don't last more than a month or so, and it's not a good start to the new year.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The new year is a date on the calendar. It would be like saying Wednesday really does not feel any different from Tuesday. It is a mindset and an attitude. And, obviously, yours is focused on the negative – not the positive.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know I should treat the new year as a new beginning. You know, the concept that's the basis of countless articles and news features. But it just seems like an almost impossible task.
Keep Reading ... Show less

Red wonders if we can blame it on Bruce Willis or maybe Robert Downey, Jr. Blame them for what? The popularity of action movies over the last decades – ranging from normal people demonstrating almost impossible feats of bravery and skill (yes, she's thinking "Die Hard") to super heroes conquering the day no matter the odds (like Marvel's "The Avengers") – that has greatly influenced our idea of what's a "hero". (Black defers to Red when it comes to movies, unless you want to talk about the business aspects of the industry.)

Until we stop and think about it.

Keep Reading ... Show less