For those of you who refuse to wear a mask, guess it won't make any difference. For those who already do, hey, what's one more?!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: A backstory? Not really. But we always have a story.

By the time Black had forwarded Red a CNET article about experts recommending we wear two masks at once, Red had already heard about it. And not from an article, but first hand, when she had taken her daughter to the pediatrician (when you play competitive volleyball, sometimes telemedicine isn't enough) and they asked them to put on a second mask.

Red agreed that the logic made perfect sense; if one's good, two would be better. And, it reminded her of cold Vermont winters where you'd layer up to protect yourself from the cold. Anyway, she commented to Black that it really wasn't a big deal since you're already wearing a mask. Although she's guessing there will still be people who'd object – probably the same people who don't even want to wear one mask.

When she asked Black if she planned to wear add a second mask in addition to the boring white surgical masks she usually wore, she should've known that Black would have something unexpected to say …

As I see it, the boring white surgical mask is no different than the boring crisp white shirts that I wear under my blazers. Now, I will have a crisp white mask peeking out from under a more interesting cover mask. It's actually the best of both worlds.

Leave it to Black to have a pragmatic approach to fashionable mask-wearing. Red prefers the comfort route, and knows the double-masking will give added protection to her "comfy" masks. Plus, she'll derive comfort in knowing that she's protecting herself and others.

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?