For those of you who refuse to wear a mask, guess it won't make any difference. For those who already do, hey, what's one more?!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: A backstory? Not really. But we always have a story.

By the time Black had forwarded Red a CNET article about experts recommending we wear two masks at once, Red had already heard about it. And not from an article, but first hand, when she had taken her daughter to the pediatrician (when you play competitive volleyball, sometimes telemedicine isn't enough) and they asked them to put on a second mask.

Red agreed that the logic made perfect sense; if one's good, two would be better. And, it reminded her of cold Vermont winters where you'd layer up to protect yourself from the cold. Anyway, she commented to Black that it really wasn't a big deal since you're already wearing a mask. Although she's guessing there will still be people who'd object – probably the same people who don't even want to wear one mask.

When she asked Black if she planned to wear add a second mask in addition to the boring white surgical masks she usually wore, she should've known that Black would have something unexpected to say …

As I see it, the boring white surgical mask is no different than the boring crisp white shirts that I wear under my blazers. Now, I will have a crisp white mask peeking out from under a more interesting cover mask. It's actually the best of both worlds.

Leave it to Black to have a pragmatic approach to fashionable mask-wearing. Red prefers the comfort route, and knows the double-masking will give added protection to her "comfy" masks. Plus, she'll derive comfort in knowing that she's protecting herself and others.

How times change … there once was a fictional TV show called "Lost In Space" … now there's going to be a real-life "Seat In Space" …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red heard that "mere mortals" (translation in this case meaning non-astronauts) were going to be launched into space, all she could think of was how that sounded both scary and exciting, whereas Black, unsurprisingly, had much more pragmatic thoughts.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Sometimes you don't miss something until it's gone. But was it the movies? The escape? Or the popcorn?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: For both Red and Black (but for different reasons), it seemed like the day (or rather weekend) would never come when Red would feel comfortable, post-pandemic, going back to the movies; but Red never expected the stumbling block would involve one of her favorite things.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Rainbows are beautiful and suggest something magical. But during Pride Month, they also become a symbol of love, support, and understanding for the LGBTQ community.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Until yesterday, when Black explained it to her, Red, like many people, didn't realize that Pride Month evolved from a tragic event, the Stonewall Uprising, into both a tribute and a memorial before it became a worldwide celebration of the LGBTQ community.

Keep Reading ... Show less