For those of you who refuse to wear a mask, guess it won't make any difference. For those who already do, hey, what's one more?!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: A backstory? Not really. But we always have a story.

By the time Black had forwarded Red a CNET article about experts recommending we wear two masks at once, Red had already heard about it. And not from an article, but first hand, when she had taken her daughter to the pediatrician (when you play competitive volleyball, sometimes telemedicine isn't enough) and they asked them to put on a second mask.

Red agreed that the logic made perfect sense; if one's good, two would be better. And, it reminded her of cold Vermont winters where you'd layer up to protect yourself from the cold. Anyway, she commented to Black that it really wasn't a big deal since you're already wearing a mask. Although she's guessing there will still be people who'd object – probably the same people who don't even want to wear one mask.

When she asked Black if she planned to wear add a second mask in addition to the boring white surgical masks she usually wore, she should've known that Black would have something unexpected to say …

As I see it, the boring white surgical mask is no different than the boring crisp white shirts that I wear under my blazers. Now, I will have a crisp white mask peeking out from under a more interesting cover mask. It's actually the best of both worlds.

Leave it to Black to have a pragmatic approach to fashionable mask-wearing. Red prefers the comfort route, and knows the double-masking will give added protection to her "comfy" masks. Plus, she'll derive comfort in knowing that she's protecting herself and others.

Most workaholics can rationalize working all the time. At least to themselves.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: “Gizmos” already blurred the lines between the workweek and the weekend, but the WFH (working from home) “revolution” caused by the pandemic has destroyed the line; except for people like Black, who have always treated every day as a workday.

Keep Reading ...Show less

We all “celebrate” Memorial Day differently, but we all should remember it’s a day to honor those who gave their lives serving this country.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Memorial Day may be the unofficial start of summer, and Red remembers celebrating over the years with family get-togethers, barbeques, and pool parties; whereas Black “celebrates” most holidays by having a quiet day to work uninterrupted, but it’s important never to forget the significance of the holiday.

Keep Reading ...Show less

What were the odds a Kentucky Derby winner would “sit out” the second of the Triple Crown races?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Everybody loves a good sports comeback story, but what about when the story’s about someone (or, in this case, some horse) that no one ever expected to even be in the race, let alone win; but while Red’s amazed by the story, Black’s more focused on the initial mindset and subsequent decisions.

Keep Reading ...Show less