For those of you who refuse to wear a mask, guess it won't make any difference. For those who already do, hey, what's one more?!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: A backstory? Not really. But we always have a story.

By the time Black had forwarded Red a CNET article about experts recommending we wear two masks at once, Red had already heard about it. And not from an article, but first hand, when she had taken her daughter to the pediatrician (when you play competitive volleyball, sometimes telemedicine isn't enough) and they asked them to put on a second mask.

Red agreed that the logic made perfect sense; if one's good, two would be better. And, it reminded her of cold Vermont winters where you'd layer up to protect yourself from the cold. Anyway, she commented to Black that it really wasn't a big deal since you're already wearing a mask. Although she's guessing there will still be people who'd object – probably the same people who don't even want to wear one mask.

When she asked Black if she planned to wear add a second mask in addition to the boring white surgical masks she usually wore, she should've known that Black would have something unexpected to say …

As I see it, the boring white surgical mask is no different than the boring crisp white shirts that I wear under my blazers. Now, I will have a crisp white mask peeking out from under a more interesting cover mask. It's actually the best of both worlds.

Leave it to Black to have a pragmatic approach to fashionable mask-wearing. Red prefers the comfort route, and knows the double-masking will give added protection to her "comfy" masks. Plus, she'll derive comfort in knowing that she's protecting herself and others.

National holidays aren’t the time to count calories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We both agree that happiness has a hole in it, although one of us may only eat one bagel a year while the other tries to keep it to only one bagel when she does indulge.

Keep Reading ... Show less

A day to clean up your desk?! It will take way more than a day …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: No one is immune from piles of paper, not even Black, the master of organization, but there’s a huge difference between a desk with a few small piles and some scattered papers (although her laptop’s keyboard needs serious cleaning) and Red’s “workroom” that usually looks like a tornado hit it.

Which is why Red rolled her eyes when Black mentioned today’s National Clean Your Desk Day, as it’d take her significantly more than a day to “clean up this mess,” but then she remembered Black’s advice on how to keep her piles (and piles) of paper under control and felt inspired. Red admits often feeling like she’s drowning in paper, but that’s because she lets the piles get out of control before reminding herself of Black’s very easy, straightforward approach to turning her mountains of paper into small manageable hills. And, significantly reducing stress along the way, because as Black points out,

Sometimes, it is more important to know what you are ignoring than it is to deal with everything in the piles.

Last year, it was a day of despair and disbelief, but also one of hope and pride … this year, the feelings of hope and pride seem to have disappeared.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: If possible, the concerns and feelings of despair and disbelief we had a year ago about the January 6 Capitol riots are even stronger today as there’s more video footage, photographs, and first-hand testimony. While there’s no denying there was bloodshed and lives lost at the Capitol, some may debate, usually influenced by their political beliefs, the ramifications of the day. But as Black alluded to when it first happened – you can’t help but question whether Democracy will prevail long-term … because last year, the world witnessed something most people would never have thought possible in the United States of America.

Today, there will be events and speeches commemorating this “Day of Infamy,” and we hope that, as the Speaker of the House stated in her Press Release about specific events at the Capitol,

These events are intended as an observance of reflection, remembrance, and recommitment, in a spirit of unity, patriotism, and prayerfulness.