Republican party. What comes to mind? What are you trying to forget? Or are you just doing your best to ignore it all?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: OK, this isn't going to be about politics for several reasons.

First, because although Red loves history, and there's a fine line between being a student of history and following politics, her area of interest is Tudor history. (Even Black, who loves the question, "Why" hasn't asked her, "Why Tudor history?") Second, neither Red nor Black used to follow politics (we don't count knowing the basic principles of political parties). Ok, we'll be more precise. American politics. Red's excuse was much of her adult life was lived overseas. Black's excuse? She just wasn't interested. That changed for both of them with the 2016 Presidential election, when there seemed to be no way to avoid politics from that point forward.

But this post isn't about politics. You may be thinking, really? It certainly sounds a lot like politics, and we're all exhausted by politics. So, when Red was curious why the Republican party seemed to be imploding, or certainly was at war with itself, and even wondering if the "party of Lincoln" would survive, Black changed the focus of the conversation to the symbol of the Republican party – the elephant.

Anyone who has ever heard (pun intended) us at speaking engagements knows elephants often work their way into the presentation. It's an analogy from our book that becomes hard to forget or, at least, it's something Red has never forgotten. It happened early in her crisis, when she was struggling with having too much to do, too much to learn, and too much to cope with, and Black merely said,

You CAN eat an elephant. You just cannot do it in one sitting.

So, it didn't surprise Red that instead of commenting on the Republican party's current woes, Black immediately thought of the Republican's symbol, the elephant, and her analogy. But it did make Red realize that she didn't have a clue how the elephant became the symbol of the Republican party. But, being that lover of history, she knew the History channel could answer the question, "How did Republicans and Democrats get their animal symbols?".

Happy Meals. Lasik surgery. A Supreme Court justice. Any idea what these three things have in common?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although Hispanic Heritage Month started in 1968 as a week-long event, Red, the straight-A student and lover of history, is a bit embarrassed that she didn't know about it, but the theater major in her realizes they're under-represented (and misrepresented) in the movies. When we talked about the comparison of "In The Heights" to "West Side Story," Black wasn't only focused on the business aspects but also how it reflects the times, and now is interested in the many contributions (including patents) made by Latinx, and the need for inclusion and diversity.

P.S. – We were both curious why the month-long celebration begins mid-month (September 15) and discovered it's in honor of the anniversaries of national independence for many Latin American countries.

Can something be "new" if it's made with "old" ingredients?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Black's fascinated by the business and marketing aspects of food mash-ups (especially the multi-generational angle), while Red's excited that her beloved Dunkin' has collaborated with Post Cereals and there's now Dunkin' cereal (and both of us love the tag line, "Now you can have your coffee and eat it, too!). Funny thing is that we've all probably been doing our own "mash-ups" for years (ok, maybe not Black).

As the song says, "They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, they say there's always magic in the air on Broadway" … and now it's all coming back!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we live in Texas, we're originally from New York, and as different as we are, one thing we have in common is a love of Broadway, so we're excited about the re-opening of Broadway, even if for very different reasons.

Keep Reading ... Show less