Whoever said you can't buy happiness, never bought ice cream.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Black sent Red an email linking to what she thought was a fascinating article about the competitive ice cream industry, and Red rolled her eyes, thinking, "My sister can't even enjoy something as simple as ice cream without analyzing it."

But then, for Red, ice cream isn't just a food – it's an indulgence, an experience, and a trip down memory lane. Back to a time when ice cream was simpler, as was life. Well before the ice cream section of the grocery store overwhelmed you with too many choices (was there ever a time when the only options were vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry?), although she'll admit a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and a spoon is all you need to make a bad day better.

Of course, the mention of Ben & Jerry reminds Black of how their ice cream somehow became political. She can understand the internal battles of whether the guilty pleasure of ice cream is worth the calories (she compromises by eating only a spoonful or two), or even arguing with someone over the "best flavor" (even chefs have favorite store-bought ice cream flavors), but the only connection between ice cream and politics should be related to the history of ice cream. (It was first introduced in America when we were still colonies. Later, President George Washington supposedly spent $200, a lot of money in those days, to satisfy his ice cream cravings, while Thomas Jefferson's credited with the first American ice cream recipe.)

Fast forward to today, and our love of ice cream is stronger than ever (and big business), whether fueled by the pandemic and our desire for "comfort food" or us wanting to return the simple pleasures, albeit with more sophisticated flavors. Black watches as there's a battle brewing (or should we say, churning) between artisanal ice cream shops opening throughout Houston, but Red sums it up best,

Whether it's the cheapest scoop out there or it seems more like a car payment (ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, but if there's three or four of you, it adds up), ice cream's one of life's greatest pleasures and always brings a smile to my face. Especially when it's one of those shops where you can smell the freshly baked cones before you even walk in the door. Then it's a treat for all your senses.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less