Memory Lane

Being Creative … With Ice Cream?

Photo by Dave Phillips on Unsplash

I'm not sure where they come up with these "holidays" but today's National Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day … although I can't remember the first time I had a creative ice cream flavor. Growing up on Long Island in the 1960s, my ice cream memories are of your traditional flavors bought in non-descript half-gallon rectangle cartons (not even tubs) from the grocery store. Or, as a special treat or celebration, a coffee ice cream soda (not sure you'd consider "coffee" a "creative flavor") at Krisch's in downtown Massapequa, Long Island (it's still there!). Occasionally, I'd get an ice cream sundae at Friendly's, but I wasn't overly creative – vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and extra cherries.

I guess, in those days, the closest thing to "creative" ice cream was spumoni which was an odd combination – layers of cherry, pistachio, and either vanilla or chocolate ice cream with what, at the time, I thought were "mystery items" but only years later did I learn were dried fruit and nuts. Regardless, it was one of my favorites, although my mom rarely bought it, and I think it may have been because I was the only one in my family who liked it.

Anyway, I may not remember when truly "creative" ice cream flavors appeared in my life, but I'll never forget the first time I went to Ben & Jerry's in Burlington, Vermont. Back then, they only had that one location, but we always made sure to stop there (often more than once) on our frequent trips to Vermont. Many years later, when I visited their factory in Waterbury, Vermont, they were no longer a local secret and were known for making some of the most creative and delicious ice-cream combinations. Ever. (For the record, my favorite's the very popular and very yummy Cherry Garcia, which has a fascinating backstory.)

Regardless, I couldn't help but wonder what my sister, the self-proclaimed "selfish and shallow" size 2, who rarely eats sweets, would have to say about ice cream "creativity" …

I know very little about "creative" ice cream flavors, as on the rare occasion I eat ice cream, I prefer traditional flavors. Although, as a kid, I loved ice cream sandwiches, which I guess required creativity to invent. However, I do know that when Ben & Jerry's needed to raise cash to build a manufacturing plant, they wanted to find a way to share their success with Vermonters and discovered a little-known clause that allowed them to establish a Vermont-only public stock offering. Now that is creative ice cream (making).

‘Tis the season for joyous celebrations – of whatever holiday you may celebrate. And fond memories. Even though Red wasn’t born when this happened, it’s still one of her holiday favorites (yes, she initially thought Black must have been on the “naughty list”) and a reminder of what the holidays are truly all about.

BLACK: I do not know at what age my Christmas memories began, but I do remember being very young and in awe of a very large – and very well decorated – Christmas tree in our family room. I even remember peeking down the stairs late one evening and seeing my mother standing extremely close to Santa Claus. OK, you might not find that an unusual memory, except my family is Jewish.

Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by klohka on iStock

For those of you who have followed us for years, you know what’s coming … a naked turkey story. Because as soon as Black wrote it, it became a Thanksgiving tradition.

Black typically doesn’t reminisce, so her memories of a perfect turkey that made for a perfect Thanksgiving (for her) have become the perfect way for us to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. May your day be filled with family and friends and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ...Show less
True
Photo by Red

It was one of those mindless questions, “What was your favorite childhood book?” And although I couldn’t answer the question, it brought back wonderful memories of my favorite book while I was still living at home. Which recently turned into a new tradition … and maybe the highlight of my summer …

Keep Reading ...Show less