Banter Bites

Live Streamed … But Hard To Watch

Emotions are powerful. Combine them with facts and you have a compelling case.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We may react differently to the Derek Chauvin trial, we may have different viewing preferences, we may remember other cases that touched upon similar issues, but it's probably safe to say that we want to see justice served.

Red never planned to watch the live streaming, not even in the background, as she knew the trial would be highly emotional, simultaneously heartbreaking and infuriating. But she never expected the feelings of remorse and guilt … from the witnesses.

Black, who's always been fascinated by "all things legal" knew better than to "bore" her sister with a conversation about the legal "positioning" and the importance of juror selection, but did mention the pros and cons of live streaming,

Full coverage certainly allows the public to see how justice is (or is not) carried out. But the downside is some witnesses may be made very nervous by the cameras, possibly impacting their testimony and/or harming their credibility; trial attorneys may grandstand for the camera; and the large assortment of trial "sound-bites" does not necessarily mean an accurate reflection of the testimony or facts.

That reminded Red of the Rodney King beating by the police in Log Angeles in the early 1990s, followed a few years later by the infamous O.J. Simpson Bronco chase and subsequent trial for the murder of his ex-wife and her friend. They, like this situation, had been "perfect storms" where significant public interest on "bigger" social issues intersected with a greater appreciation that the public's access to testimony is critical to understanding what and why things happened.

And although we may look at things very differently (emotionally vs. pragmatically), we agree that,

We now live in a society where, for many people, social media has replaced traditional "news" outlets, and everyone's carrying around a video camera (in their cell phones). Coupled with the increased attention to police brutality, white supremacy, and the Black Lives Matter movement, it's no surprise that the Derek Chauvin trial for the death of George Floyd is such a major event. And if that's not enough, layer in the pandemic and the restrictions that places on courtroom attendance, and you have an unprecedented demand for the full and accurate coverage of a highly emotional trial.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less