Obviously, people cannot get enough of the Royal Family or of Oprah, as over 17 million people watched the interview on Sunday night.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The last thing that Red expected was for Black to ask her what she thought of Oprah's interview with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

After all, Red knew that Black didn't "follow" the Royal Family, unless it had something to do with the business world and appeared in a business publication, or maybe crossed her radar via one of the handful of daily newsletters she receives. So, once Red confirmed that Black really wanted to know her thoughts, Red started talking and probably didn't come up for air for about 20 minutes.

Now, it's not just that Red follows (to some degree, but not in an all-consuming way) what goes on with the Royal Family, but Red was married to a Brit and lived in England for many years, so had both friends and family there, giving her both "outsider" and "insider" perspectives of the country, its people, its media, and the institution of the British monarchy.

Red's overall sentiments (as best as 20+ minutes can be boiled down),

I can see where on the big picture issues – from racial discrimination to awareness of mental health issues to historically how the "Firm" (as the family and institution calls itself) conducts its business – much of what Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said rings true. But, of course, we'll never know if all the details are truly accurate, somewhat skewed to suit their version of events, or a reflection of what they honestly perceived and remembered.

Of course, Red couldn't resist asking Black what her thoughts were, half expecting her to say that she didn't have any. Then again, looking back later, Red really wasn't surprised when Black commented …

I preface this with, I did not watch the interview, although I have since seen clips and yesterday morning every daily newsletter I receive (AP News, Axios, Bloomberg, and the New York Times) covered it. The topics seemed to parallel, but on a personal level, that which has been headline news in the States – racism, the power of the media, and mental health issues. But what struck me most, even taking into consideration that Meghan is an actress, was her maternal instincts to protect her child, and her bravery to admit considering suicide. It was not that long ago she addressed her miscarriage with the public, again not something normally admitted to others – let alone the entire world.

P.S. – The following is from the bottom of the Axios article: the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) provides 24/7, free and confidential support for anyone in distress, in addition to prevention and crisis resources. Also available for online chat.

As voters, should we care whether people on the ballot are mentally capable of holding the job?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's probably safe to say that most of us, including Red, think of old age and its implications in a very personal way, either in terms of ourselves or loved ones. But not Black, who often says, "Aging beats the alternative," and looked at retirement from a business perspective, but now sees how it impacts all of us in terms of elected officials.

Keep Reading ... Show less

How do you look back at the "good 'ole days" if they happened before you were even born?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We read the same Axios story about "TikTok's nostalgia economy," and although the focus was "media trends" due to younger people using social media to both make fun of older people and also to flashback nostalgically, of course, we focused on very different aspects of the story.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less