Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know everyone's always trying to find balance in their life, but I've really been struggling with it as there always seems to be so much going on between Red & Black, Mom, the girls, the list is seemingly endless.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

And, as I am a die-hard workaholic that admits to not having a life, you think I have the answer?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Excellent point. Never mind.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

However, I do have some suggestions … if you do not mind, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

At this point, I'll take whatever help I can get.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Sometimes you just need to make a conscious effort to stay present. And, by that I mean appreciate what is happening now instead of thinking about what is next. Or, reminiscing about the past.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds good, but it also sounds overly simplistic, not to mention highly optimistic. And where would I even start?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy. It really is as simple as 1 – 2 – 3.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Nothing's that simple.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

1. SLOW down and look around
2. STOP using your gizmo and consider putting it away
3. GO interact with people (safely, of course) or just steal some "alone time"

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, that does sound simple. Now I just have to remember to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe you just need to imagine a traffic light. Plus, it would have the added benefit of every time you see a real traffic light it will remind you to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I should've known there'd be a car or driving analogy in there somewhere.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Throttle on ...

Quick! Define literacy (without Google or Siri's help). Ok, finished? We bet that you may have stopped at the ability to read and write. Which, technically, isn't wrong. It just isn't completely right, either. Which is what Red found out when she discovered, much to her surprise, that it includes such critical areas as financial, digital, and health literacy.

Red even admitted to Black that she didn't understand all those terms, although she had another concern … was Black going to use her as a poster child for her lack of literacy skills in this month's column, "RED & BLACK … A Blueprint For Life?!"

P.S. – This month's column is in honor of September being Adult & Family Literacy Month.

Underlying photo by mphillips007 on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't believe how quickly the year's flying by. And that tomorrow's already the fall equinox.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I cannot believe that you know that but did not know when Rosh Hashanah fell this year.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I got the dates mixed up. And I'll admit I had to look up the fall equinox date because it also varies slightly from year to year.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, the equinox is not a day, but rather an exact moment – when the Sun crosses the Equator.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Picky, picky, picky. But if I remember correctly, although science class was decades ago, on the equinox, we have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not exactly, but close enough. But, why are we even talking about this?
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Spauln on iStock

Initially, I just chalked this up to being "old" and accepting the fact I remember telephones before they were "smart" (and will admit they can make me feel "less-than-smart"). I am old enough to remember rotary dial phones (see the image above) where you had to place a finger in the hole associated with the number, then rotate the dial round to the end-stop and let the dial return under its own power. I will not go into the science behind it, but it was extremely reliable – although very hard on your manicure.

But, this is not about the history of telephones or the associated technology that has improved to the point computers that once required a large, air-conditioned room can now fit in your back pocket or handbag. This is not about us all (regardless of age) needing to be digitally literate. It is not about the fact the older we are, the larger the screen size we prefer, although we might claim it is a function of what we are used to versus admitting to declining vision as we age.

Rather, this is about a recent experience that first made me feel old. Then roll my eyes. And then open my eyes to an opportunity.

Keep Reading ... Show less