Words & Banter

Finding Balance … With A Traffic Light?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I know everyone's always trying to find balance in their life, but I've really been struggling with it as there always seems to be so much going on between Red & Black, Mom, the girls, the list is seemingly endless.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, as I am a die-hard workaholic that admits to not having a life, you think I have the answer?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Excellent point. Never mind.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

However, I do have some suggestions … if you do not mind, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

At this point, I'll take whatever help I can get.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Sometimes you just need to make a conscious effort to stay present. And, by that I mean appreciate what is happening now instead of thinking about what is next. Or, reminiscing about the past.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds good, but it also sounds overly simplistic, not to mention highly optimistic. And where would I even start?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy. It really is as simple as 1 – 2 – 3.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Nothing's that simple.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

1. SLOW down and look around
2. STOP using your gizmo and consider putting it away
3. GO interact with people (safely, of course) or just steal some "alone time"

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, that does sound simple. Now I just have to remember to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe you just need to imagine a traffic light. Plus, it would have the added benefit of every time you see a real traffic light it will remind you to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I should've known there'd be a car or driving analogy in there somewhere.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Throttle on ...
Image by farakos on iStock

Even though Red’sthe warm and fuzzy one and Black’s extremely pragmatic, we both think of hearts on Valentine’s Day. Just not in quite the same way …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Happy Valentine’s Day. And before you say anything, yes, I know you don’t celebrate holidays, so just humor me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

But, I do “celebrate” February being American Heart Month since heart disease is the leading cause of death – for both men and women.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, that’s one way to turn a “fun” holiday into a real downer. Today’s supposed to be about letting people you love and care about know that you’re thinking of them. Think Hallmark cards, squishy teddy bears, chocolate hearts.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

Are you taking the Dry January challenge and not having any alcohol for the month? Or, maybe you plan to drink less (but not nothing), which makes it Damp January. Or, maybe this is the first you’ve heard of it. (If so, there’s still time to start!)

Well, nothing much has changed from our approach to Dry January last year, except the one who had started drinking more last year is continuing the trend …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK , started Dry January , where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.

It’s January, and everyone’s probably tired of reading about New Year’s resolutions.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not me. Since I never make them, I never feel the need to read about them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you don’t. So, what should we write about?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How about that we celebrate some of our favorite things in January?

So many “National Days” in January are fun (we’ve written about them over the years) and remind us of some of our favorite things. (Can you pick which are Red’s favorite holidays and which are Black’s?) And whether or not you make resolutions, it’s always important to have a sense of humor and enjoy the simpler things in life …

Answer: Red’s favorites are Bagels, Popcorn, and Hugging. Black’s are Clean Desk, Bagels, and Backward.