Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know everyone's always trying to find balance in their life, but I've really been struggling with it as there always seems to be so much going on between Red & Black, Mom, the girls, the list is seemingly endless.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

And, as I am a die-hard workaholic that admits to not having a life, you think I have the answer?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Excellent point. Never mind.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

However, I do have some suggestions … if you do not mind, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

At this point, I'll take whatever help I can get.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Sometimes you just need to make a conscious effort to stay present. And, by that I mean appreciate what is happening now instead of thinking about what is next. Or, reminiscing about the past.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds good, but it also sounds overly simplistic, not to mention highly optimistic. And where would I even start?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy. It really is as simple as 1 – 2 – 3.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Nothing's that simple.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

1. SLOW down and look around
2. STOP using your gizmo and consider putting it away
3. GO interact with people (safely, of course) or just steal some "alone time"

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, that does sound simple. Now I just have to remember to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe you just need to imagine a traffic light. Plus, it would have the added benefit of every time you see a real traffic light it will remind you to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I should've known there'd be a car or driving analogy in there somewhere.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Throttle on ...
Photo by nycshooter on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory. Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.

I can't believe that Sawyer's graduated from high school and will be off to college in a few months. It's so bittersweet. Especially as it seems like only yesterday you were bringing me dinner in the hospital the day she was born – it was wedding soup from my favorite Italian restaurant.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, since that has now become one of her favorite restaurants, that is where we should go to celebrate the start of her exciting new journey.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exciting is an understatement. As soon as she finished her Zoom session with the orientation team at Belmont University, she came downstairs and talked a mile a minute about all the incredible course offerings, and before I knew it, she opened her laptop and was going through everything with me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

When she showed it to me, I was impressed by the range of courses available, and it made me want to go back to college. But, I was most impressed by her enthusiasm and commitment to opening herself up to opportunities that she might not have previously considered.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know! For years, starting when we taught at KIPP Houston High School, you've told students that college was a step-along-the-way, not a destination. And the perfect opportunity to try new things.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I also said, "Homework never ends; it just is called 'research' when you get older."
Keep Reading ... Show less