Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I know everyone's always trying to find balance in their life, but I've really been struggling with it as there always seems to be so much going on between Red & Black, Mom, the girls, the list is seemingly endless.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, as I am a die-hard workaholic that admits to not having a life, you think I have the answer?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Excellent point. Never mind.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

However, I do have some suggestions … if you do not mind, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

At this point, I'll take whatever help I can get.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Sometimes you just need to make a conscious effort to stay present. And, by that I mean appreciate what is happening now instead of thinking about what is next. Or, reminiscing about the past.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds good, but it also sounds overly simplistic, not to mention highly optimistic. And where would I even start?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy. It really is as simple as 1 – 2 – 3.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Nothing's that simple.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

1. SLOW down and look around
2. STOP using your gizmo and consider putting it away
3. GO interact with people (safely, of course) or just steal some "alone time"

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, that does sound simple. Now I just have to remember to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe you just need to imagine a traffic light. Plus, it would have the added benefit of every time you see a real traffic light it will remind you to SLOW – STOP – GO.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I should've known there'd be a car or driving analogy in there somewhere.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Throttle on ...
Photo by Rabbitti for iStock

It’s #GivingTuesday, and although it’s always a good time to think of others, remember all the people who are continuing to deal with the aftermath of natural disasters long after the headlines have been forgotten.

And even though Black believes charitable giving can be “secretive”, she also knows there’s science proving helping others is good for you. (Warning: she likes to recommend the book “Wonder Drug: 7 Scientifically Proven Ways That Serving Others Is the Best Medicine for Yourself.“)

P.S. – Wherever you may choose to donate, beware of potential scammers. So, if in doubt – check them out! (Black likes GuideStar and Charity Navigator.)

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know today’s Giving Tuesday, but what I always find so amazing is how you treat every day as “Giving Tuesday."

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

What makes you say that? I do not donate to an organization or charity every day.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You’re always so literal. I meant that the spirit of “giving to others”, whether donating or providing support in some way, seems to be part of your daily life.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you are exaggerating.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo courtesy of Red’s eldest daughter, Natasha

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of asking you a warm and fuzzy question, have you thought about what you’re most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I should’ve guessed that you’d take the question literally. Could you expand on that a little, or at least give me a hint?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by htomas for iStock

When Red was a child, toilets represented more than a place to go when, well, you had to go. Much to Black’s amusement, Red saw cleaning them as a reward. (Really! Check out Red's post below.) But neither of us realized that billions of people don’t have access to toilets. And if it weren’t for today being World Toilet Day, we never would have known the magnitude of the associated health and safety issues – or the connection between sanitation and groundwater.

RED: What can I tell you? When I was a kid, one of my all-time favorite things to do was … clean the toilet. Yes, you read that correctly. And it wasn’t because I was a germophobe or a clean freak. I just loved being able to sit on the floor, using as much Bon Ami (I’ve no idea why I remember the brand) cleaning powder as I wanted. And the best part? All those bubbles!

It kept me entertained for hours. Not to mention, my mom was thrilled because it kept me “contained” and out of her hair. So much so that if I was very good and behaved myself, she might even give me “special permission” to clean the toilet in my parent’s bathroom. Of course, Black, being five years older and understanding the situation, found it all extremely amusing. Even now, decades later, she still gives me grief about it,

Keep Reading ...Show less