Words & Banter

RED & BLACK … A Year-Round Valentine

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Where did January go? Every day feels like Groundhog Day, but yet the months are flying by! Our January column was about "resets" instead of resolutions, so maybe we could expand on that and talk about self-improvement.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Instead of love, hearts, and Valentine's Day? Works for me.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe we can tie the two concepts together – become a better person as a Valentine's Day gift to yourself?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Instead of looking at what needs improvement, what about learning to love – and accept – yourself?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds rather arrogant, as I think it's safe to say that most of us could use some improvement.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Agree, but that puts the focus on what is wrong with us versus what is right.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Interesting thought, especially as I suspect that most of us underestimate, and undervalue, all the positive things we do. It's just so easy to get caught up in the "how to be better" mindset. Which can be overwhelming, as it becomes just one more thing you feel you need to do.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, can set you up for failure versus success. Plus, everyone's personal circumstances are different, which is why I am suggesting self-acceptance versus comparing yourself to some other "ideal". Focus on positive traits. Then, build on those.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I like that! Especially since building on something you already do will probably take less time than trying to change and, let's face it, lately it seems that time's flying by even more quickly than usual.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Someone once told me, "The older you get, the quicker time flies." Which means we must use it wisely. Especially since none of us knows how much time we have left.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you're pragmatic, but that was painfully blunt. Especially given what's going on with the pandemic. In the past, most people preferred not to think about death, but now, at the risk of sounding dramatic, it's all around us and has touched so many people. It's so incredibly tragic.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Having loved ones die, especially untimely deaths, can have a powerful impact. Which is what happened to me growing up. It made me realize that the future is not a guarantee, but merely an incentive. And that, in turn, had a direct impact on my priorities. And, how I approach life.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember you telling me that. It certainly explained a lot of things, like what appeared to be your "devil-may-care" attitude. It helped me realize that a lot of your decisions, and actions, were based on your unusual perspective. I guess you can say that you live life based on your experience with death.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

To some extent, but I see the bigger influence being how I want to be remembered at my funeral.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm not sure I even want to have this conversation, but I'll admit I'm curious. So, do you care to explain that remark?!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe you should live your life not concerned about what people think and say about you when you are alive. But instead, what they will say about you once you are gone.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Why would you care if you're no longer around?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

By then, what you say you are going to do is a moot point. All that is left are your actions. And, they will speak louder than words. What did you do? Who did you help? Did you try to make a difference?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That's a very interesting attitude for someone who doesn't seem to care what people say about you when you're alive!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is it? When people talk about the living, many focus on gossip and/or perceptions. People look at isolated incidents. Recent events or actions. However, when you remember those who are no longer here, you may have specific memories that stand out, but you remember the person. And, what they stood for. You remember them in terms of the life they lived.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

You're right. Almost every night, Wolf Blitzer on CNN takes the last few minutes to memorialize victims of COVID-19 and he talks about the life they lived. I don't even know them, but it makes me realize how everyone can be special. And the ripple effect everyone has on the lives they've touched.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember the conversation we had years ago when we were returning from Cousin Frankie's funeral? We talked about all the incredible things that everyone was saying about him.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Absolutely! We weren't close to Frankie, but we learned so much about him by what other people said. He touched so many lives. I remember thinking that, in a strange way, knowing that helped comfort Aunt Maxine and Uncle Connie.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember the recurring sentiment was that he always let his family and friends know that he loved them.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, I remember that, too. Since his death was so untimely and unexpected, that was such an amazing gift that he left the people he loved.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

One of the greatest gifts you can give the people you love is to let them know that you love them. Especially because you never know if that will be the last chance you have to let them know how you feel.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

So true. Which is one of the reasons that Valentine's Day drives me crazy. Although I love getting cards and flowers, I don't think that you should need a holiday or special occasion to prompt these things. Do you really need Hallmark and your local florist to tell you that you should be saying, "I Love You"?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Somehow, I do not think you want to discuss the business aspects of holidays. But you, of all people, understand how easy it is to get wrapped up in day-to-day living. Sometimes we need a reminder to make us stop and focus on what is truly important. Why not use Valentine's Day as an opportunity to stock up on "I love you" cards and then use them all year long? Obviously, Post-it notes, phone messages, or text messages work just as well. There is much truth to the cliché, "It is the thought that counts."

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

So, does that mean you do or don't want me and the girls to send you a card on Valentine's Day?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Whatever makes you happy. Just promise if you get me a card, it will not be one of those drippy sweet ones. If you really love me, make sure it is sarcastic. And, the more sarcastic – the better.

Image by filipefrazao on iStock

Were you like Red and shocked when the actor Chadwick Boseman died at the age of 43 after battling colon cancer for years? Cancer isn’t only for older people, and recent studies show more people under 50 are getting cancer. (Doctors aren’t sure why but suspect it may be due to less physical activity, more highly processed foods, and new toxins.) That’s why cancer screenings are more important than ever!

February may be Cancer Prevention Month – but we need to do it all year! Every year. And is why we’re rerunning last year’s post …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that cancer isn’t the “death sentence” it used to be when we were growing up, but it’s still a very scary word. Especially if it’s heard “close to home”.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When we were young, the word was rarely said. And if it was, it was whispered or referred to as the “ c-word.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Kind of like when I had my two miscarriages. No one wanted even to acknowledge, let alone talk about, them. Which made it all the more difficult to get through it, although intellectually, I knew it was not uncommon.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, neither is cancer. It is the second-leading cause of death in the world, surpassed only by heart disease. But, at least, it is no longer a taboo subject.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please don’t make this about numbers. It’s about people. Which you should know. I’m sure you remember when Daddy was diagnosed with parotid gland cancer , which luckily was treatable. And I’ve had skin cancer, although I was very fortunate, it was caught early and easily treated.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by farakos on iStock

Even though Red’sthe warm and fuzzy one and Black’s extremely pragmatic, we both think of hearts on Valentine’s Day. Just not in quite the same way …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Happy Valentine’s Day. And before you say anything, yes, I know you don’t celebrate holidays, so just humor me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

But, I do “celebrate” February being American Heart Month since heart disease is the leading cause of death – for both men and women.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, that’s one way to turn a “fun” holiday into a real downer. Today’s supposed to be about letting people you love and care about know that you’re thinking of them. Think Hallmark cards, squishy teddy bears, chocolate hearts.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

Are you taking the Dry January challenge and not having any alcohol for the month? Or, maybe you plan to drink less (but not nothing), which makes it Damp January. Or, maybe this is the first you’ve heard of it. (If so, there’s still time to start!)

Well, nothing much has changed from our approach to Dry January last year, except the one who had started drinking more last year is continuing the trend …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK , started Dry January , where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less