Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember when we were kids, and all that we could watch during the summer, on the handful of TV stations that existed back then, were reruns?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course. The summer hiatus. When shows went "on vacation" and everyone anxiously awaited the return of new episodes or new shows.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I actually enjoyed the reruns. I still do. Especially if it's an episode I haven't seen before. But I'm also one of those people who will watch favorite movies over and over again.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you probably are not interested in the scientific reasoning why people love watching reruns, but they do. However, it does explain why there is so much money in syndication rights. An extreme example is the sitcom "Friends" which generated more than $1 billion for its creators and stars.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

One billion?! With a "B"?! Is that why you wanted our book, or should I say, "my crisis", to be the basis of a sitcom? And I still laugh at your description of it as a 2-pound calling card.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The reality is I viewed your crisis as a business opportunity since I thought other people could relate to what you were going through. It was only once I started researching publishing that I saw how many movies and shows were based on books. As I continued to do my research (homework never ends), it became obvious that the most successful sitcoms are relationship-based. And, there were lots of "characters" in your story.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, you saw Red & Black as a sitcom waiting to happen? Even before the book took on a life of its own?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste. But, the reality is people could relate to your situation on various levels. That is what makes successful sitcoms successful. And, makes them even better reruns. For years, sometimes decades.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Only you would analyze reruns vs. just enjoying them. It's funny, with all the cable and streaming channels, I almost feel like everything's a rerun. If you find something you like, you can watch it whenever you want, and as often as you want. Not to mention, so many of the channels have reruns of the shows we watched growing up. And everything in between.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Think about the math – if you have that many channels trying to provide content 24/7, how much content does that require? Of course, you will need reruns. It makes the reruns needed to "cover" when a show is on hiatus, especially if only for a few days or a week, seem like nothing.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't put a little thought into what they rerun. I recently turned on "The View" and completely understood them showing a rerun as I'm sure the hosts wanted a summer break, but they chose a show that I thought was no longer relevant. They've done so many great shows; I wish they'd have gone into the "archives" and found something that was either relevant or purely entertaining.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I agree, you should be selective when choosing what rerun to, well, rerun. Or, depending on the rerun, maybe provide some sort of introduction or context.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, do you think our website content could be "recycled" as reruns?! We already have hundreds of posts, and there's no way any of our new followers will go back through them all. Not to mention, we have so many favorites that I'd love for readers to have an opportunity to see them. Either again, or for the first time.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you trying to tell me you need a break from Red & Black?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Asks the woman who admits to having no other life?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it is a great idea. Whether wanting a break to recharge or needing to be prepared in case something unforeseen happens. I guess we need to start identifying favorites and potential reruns.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It sounds like I just created more work for myself …

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Does that mean this post will not be one of your favorites?
Photo by enviromantic for iStock

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know I shouldn’t say this, but I can’t stand N95 masks! They make me feel like a duck.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That quacks me up. Regardless, they are much more effective than cloth masks. And, FYI, they do come in different shapes.

assets.rebelmouse.io

I just wish they were more comfortable.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it’s our first column of the year. A new beginning. Any “new” ideas for topics? Something other than New Year’s resolutions.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Is there a reason you do not want to talk about resolutions?

assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, yours was not to ask fewer questions.

Black (use0 assets.rebelmouse.io

That will never happen, but you are avoiding the question. Why?

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Because every year, I have a long list of things I want to do, and I start strong, but within a few months, I fall back into old habits. Sometimes it only takes weeks. It’s frustrating and disappointing.

Black (use) assets.rebelmouse.io

Next question. What is the opposite of “old?"
Keep Reading ... Show less