Words & Banter

A Favorite Today. A Rerun Tomorrow?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember when we were kids, and all that we could watch during the summer, on the handful of TV stations that existed back then, were reruns?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course. The summer hiatus. When shows went "on vacation" and everyone anxiously awaited the return of new episodes or new shows.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I actually enjoyed the reruns. I still do. Especially if it's an episode I haven't seen before. But I'm also one of those people who will watch favorite movies over and over again.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you probably are not interested in the scientific reasoning why people love watching reruns, but they do. However, it does explain why there is so much money in syndication rights. An extreme example is the sitcom "Friends" which generated more than $1 billion for its creators and stars.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

One billion?! With a "B"?! Is that why you wanted our book, or should I say, "my crisis", to be the basis of a sitcom? And I still laugh at your description of it as a 2-pound calling card.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The reality is I viewed your crisis as a business opportunity since I thought other people could relate to what you were going through. It was only once I started researching publishing that I saw how many movies and shows were based on books. As I continued to do my research (homework never ends), it became obvious that the most successful sitcoms are relationship-based. And, there were lots of "characters" in your story.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, you saw Red & Black as a sitcom waiting to happen? Even before the book took on a life of its own?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste. But, the reality is people could relate to your situation on various levels. That is what makes successful sitcoms successful. And, makes them even better reruns. For years, sometimes decades.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Only you would analyze reruns vs. just enjoying them. It's funny, with all the cable and streaming channels, I almost feel like everything's a rerun. If you find something you like, you can watch it whenever you want, and as often as you want. Not to mention, so many of the channels have reruns of the shows we watched growing up. And everything in between.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Think about the math – if you have that many channels trying to provide content 24/7, how much content does that require? Of course, you will need reruns. It makes the reruns needed to "cover" when a show is on hiatus, especially if only for a few days or a week, seem like nothing.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't put a little thought into what they rerun. I recently turned on "The View" and completely understood them showing a rerun as I'm sure the hosts wanted a summer break, but they chose a show that I thought was no longer relevant. They've done so many great shows; I wish they'd have gone into the "archives" and found something that was either relevant or purely entertaining.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I agree, you should be selective when choosing what rerun to, well, rerun. Or, depending on the rerun, maybe provide some sort of introduction or context.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, do you think our website content could be "recycled" as reruns?! We already have hundreds of posts, and there's no way any of our new followers will go back through them all. Not to mention, we have so many favorites that I'd love for readers to have an opportunity to see them. Either again, or for the first time.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you trying to tell me you need a break from Red & Black?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Asks the woman who admits to having no other life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it is a great idea. Whether wanting a break to recharge or needing to be prepared in case something unforeseen happens. I guess we need to start identifying favorites and potential reruns.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It sounds like I just created more work for myself …

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Does that mean this post will not be one of your favorites?

When we reread the post we did two years ago (see below), we felt it was worth repeating … as even though mental health’s being discussed more, too many people still don’t want to talk about their situations because they feel ashamed and/or they don’t know “Where To Start – Mental Health In A Changing World” (the theme of this May’s Mental Health Awareness Month) or who to contact. (Remember, there’s a 988 lifeline.)

Millions of Americans face mental health issues each year, and it’s important to remember that no one has to face it alone.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I’ve only recently started listening to country music, mainly because that’s what Sawyer’s always listening to, but I already knew of the mother-daughter duo, The Judds .

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Hard not to, as it was the most successful female duo.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

What’s hard to believe is that the day before her and Wynonna’s induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame , Naomi committed suicide. As a mother, your instinct is to put your children first, so that shows the overwhelming depth of the depression she was battling.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am sure people questioned how someone who appeared to have everything, and was about to be awarded one of her industry’s highest honors, could feel so bad about herself or her life to want to end it.

As you know, I love history, but I appreciate many people don’t.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am one of those people, so not sure where you are going with this.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. So, when you first wanted to talk to me about the history of credit cards, I should have known something was up.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, at least been curious.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

How was I supposed to know it would make a difference in my life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Why else would I want to give you a “history lesson”?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by mevans on iStock
Let’s be very clear. Autism has no correlation with intelligence; it’s a developmental disability (or what Black refers to as “DIFF-abilities”). And it’s a spectrum disorder, which means each autistic person has their unique mix of abilities, challenges, and ways of seeing the world (can’t that be said of all of us?!) So, as we celebrate World Autism Acceptance Week, remember it’s more than just awareness – it’s about acceptance.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that April's Autism Awareness Month? I wasn't aware (pun intended) of it until I read our local homeowner's monthly newsletter and it caught my eye.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, last month the founding organization, the Autism Society, changed "Awareness" to "Acceptance" to foster inclusivity, as knowing about something is very different from accepting it. But I am guessing that is not the point of this call.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Although it isn't autism, it reminded me of years ago when we found out that Natasha has learning disabilities.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you mean DIFF-abilities.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, that's another thing I remember. I was focused on the negative aspects of her diagnosis until you asked me, point-blank, "Why are they called disabilities?" And proceeded to explain that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly! Imagine the world if everyone excelled at math, but flunked English. Or, a world of lawyers, but no musicians. Some people are better at social skills, while others excel at handling technical data. Why not just say that people who have different skillsets and abilities have DIFF-abilities versus making them feel like they have shortcomings?
Keep Reading ...Show less