Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember when we were kids, and all that we could watch during the summer, on the handful of TV stations that existed back then, were reruns?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course. The summer hiatus. When shows went "on vacation" and everyone anxiously awaited the return of new episodes or new shows.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I actually enjoyed the reruns. I still do. Especially if it's an episode I haven't seen before. But I'm also one of those people who will watch favorite movies over and over again.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you probably are not interested in the scientific reasoning why people love watching reruns, but they do. However, it does explain why there is so much money in syndication rights. An extreme example is the sitcom "Friends" which generated more than $1 billion for its creators and stars.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

One billion?! With a "B"?! Is that why you wanted our book, or should I say, "my crisis", to be the basis of a sitcom? And I still laugh at your description of it as a 2-pound calling card.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The reality is I viewed your crisis as a business opportunity since I thought other people could relate to what you were going through. It was only once I started researching publishing that I saw how many movies and shows were based on books. As I continued to do my research (homework never ends), it became obvious that the most successful sitcoms are relationship-based. And, there were lots of "characters" in your story.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, you saw Red & Black as a sitcom waiting to happen? Even before the book took on a life of its own?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste. But, the reality is people could relate to your situation on various levels. That is what makes successful sitcoms successful. And, makes them even better reruns. For years, sometimes decades.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Only you would analyze reruns vs. just enjoying them. It's funny, with all the cable and streaming channels, I almost feel like everything's a rerun. If you find something you like, you can watch it whenever you want, and as often as you want. Not to mention, so many of the channels have reruns of the shows we watched growing up. And everything in between.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Think about the math – if you have that many channels trying to provide content 24/7, how much content does that require? Of course, you will need reruns. It makes the reruns needed to "cover" when a show is on hiatus, especially if only for a few days or a week, seem like nothing.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't put a little thought into what they rerun. I recently turned on "The View" and completely understood them showing a rerun as I'm sure the hosts wanted a summer break, but they chose a show that I thought was no longer relevant. They've done so many great shows; I wish they'd have gone into the "archives" and found something that was either relevant or purely entertaining.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I agree, you should be selective when choosing what rerun to, well, rerun. Or, depending on the rerun, maybe provide some sort of introduction or context.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, do you think our website content could be "recycled" as reruns?! We already have hundreds of posts, and there's no way any of our new followers will go back through them all. Not to mention, we have so many favorites that I'd love for readers to have an opportunity to see them. Either again, or for the first time.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you trying to tell me you need a break from Red & Black?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Asks the woman who admits to having no other life?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it is a great idea. Whether wanting a break to recharge or needing to be prepared in case something unforeseen happens. I guess we need to start identifying favorites and potential reruns.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It sounds like I just created more work for myself …

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Does that mean this post will not be one of your favorites?

Quick! Define literacy (without Google or Siri's help). Ok, finished? We bet that you may have stopped at the ability to read and write. Which, technically, isn't wrong. It just isn't completely right, either. Which is what Red found out when she discovered, much to her surprise, that it includes such critical areas as financial, digital, and health literacy.

Red even admitted to Black that she didn't understand all those terms, although she had another concern … was Black going to use her as a poster child for her lack of literacy skills in this month's column, "RED & BLACK … A Blueprint For Life?!"

P.S. – This month's column is in honor of September being Adult & Family Literacy Month.

Underlying photo by mphillips007 on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't believe how quickly the year's flying by. And that tomorrow's already the fall equinox.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I cannot believe that you know that but did not know when Rosh Hashanah fell this year.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I got the dates mixed up. And I'll admit I had to look up the fall equinox date because it also varies slightly from year to year.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, the equinox is not a day, but rather an exact moment – when the Sun crosses the Equator.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Picky, picky, picky. But if I remember correctly, although science class was decades ago, on the equinox, we have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not exactly, but close enough. But, why are we even talking about this?
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Spauln on iStock

Initially, I just chalked this up to being "old" and accepting the fact I remember telephones before they were "smart" (and will admit they can make me feel "less-than-smart"). I am old enough to remember rotary dial phones (see the image above) where you had to place a finger in the hole associated with the number, then rotate the dial round to the end-stop and let the dial return under its own power. I will not go into the science behind it, but it was extremely reliable – although very hard on your manicure.

But, this is not about the history of telephones or the associated technology that has improved to the point computers that once required a large, air-conditioned room can now fit in your back pocket or handbag. This is not about us all (regardless of age) needing to be digitally literate. It is not about the fact the older we are, the larger the screen size we prefer, although we might claim it is a function of what we are used to versus admitting to declining vision as we age.

Rather, this is about a recent experience that first made me feel old. Then roll my eyes. And then open my eyes to an opportunity.

Keep Reading ... Show less