Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember when we were kids, and all that we could watch during the summer, on the handful of TV stations that existed back then, were reruns?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course. The summer hiatus. When shows went "on vacation" and everyone anxiously awaited the return of new episodes or new shows.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I actually enjoyed the reruns. I still do. Especially if it's an episode I haven't seen before. But I'm also one of those people who will watch favorite movies over and over again.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you probably are not interested in the scientific reasoning why people love watching reruns, but they do. However, it does explain why there is so much money in syndication rights. An extreme example is the sitcom "Friends" which generated more than $1 billion for its creators and stars.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

One billion?! With a "B"?! Is that why you wanted our book, or should I say, "my crisis", to be the basis of a sitcom? And I still laugh at your description of it as a 2-pound calling card.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The reality is I viewed your crisis as a business opportunity since I thought other people could relate to what you were going through. It was only once I started researching publishing that I saw how many movies and shows were based on books. As I continued to do my research (homework never ends), it became obvious that the most successful sitcoms are relationship-based. And, there were lots of "characters" in your story.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, you saw Red & Black as a sitcom waiting to happen? Even before the book took on a life of its own?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste. But, the reality is people could relate to your situation on various levels. That is what makes successful sitcoms successful. And, makes them even better reruns. For years, sometimes decades.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Only you would analyze reruns vs. just enjoying them. It's funny, with all the cable and streaming channels, I almost feel like everything's a rerun. If you find something you like, you can watch it whenever you want, and as often as you want. Not to mention, so many of the channels have reruns of the shows we watched growing up. And everything in between.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Think about the math – if you have that many channels trying to provide content 24/7, how much content does that require? Of course, you will need reruns. It makes the reruns needed to "cover" when a show is on hiatus, especially if only for a few days or a week, seem like nothing.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't put a little thought into what they rerun. I recently turned on "The View" and completely understood them showing a rerun as I'm sure the hosts wanted a summer break, but they chose a show that I thought was no longer relevant. They've done so many great shows; I wish they'd have gone into the "archives" and found something that was either relevant or purely entertaining.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I agree, you should be selective when choosing what rerun to, well, rerun. Or, depending on the rerun, maybe provide some sort of introduction or context.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, do you think our website content could be "recycled" as reruns?! We already have hundreds of posts, and there's no way any of our new followers will go back through them all. Not to mention, we have so many favorites that I'd love for readers to have an opportunity to see them. Either again, or for the first time.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you trying to tell me you need a break from Red & Black?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Asks the woman who admits to having no other life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it is a great idea. Whether wanting a break to recharge or needing to be prepared in case something unforeseen happens. I guess we need to start identifying favorites and potential reruns.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It sounds like I just created more work for myself …

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Does that mean this post will not be one of your favorites?
Photo by Rabbitti for iStock

It’s #GivingTuesday, and although it’s always a good time to think of others, remember all the people who are continuing to deal with the aftermath of natural disasters long after the headlines have been forgotten.

And even though Black believes charitable giving can be “secretive”, she also knows there’s science proving helping others is good for you. (Warning: she likes to recommend the book “Wonder Drug: 7 Scientifically Proven Ways That Serving Others Is the Best Medicine for Yourself.“)

P.S. – Wherever you may choose to donate, beware of potential scammers. So, if in doubt – check them out! (Black likes GuideStar and Charity Navigator.)

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know today’s Giving Tuesday, but what I always find so amazing is how you treat every day as “Giving Tuesday."

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

What makes you say that? I do not donate to an organization or charity every day.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You’re always so literal. I meant that the spirit of “giving to others”, whether donating or providing support in some way, seems to be part of your daily life.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you are exaggerating.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo courtesy of Red’s eldest daughter, Natasha

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of asking you a warm and fuzzy question, have you thought about what you’re most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I should’ve guessed that you’d take the question literally. Could you expand on that a little, or at least give me a hint?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by htomas for iStock

When Red was a child, toilets represented more than a place to go when, well, you had to go. Much to Black’s amusement, Red saw cleaning them as a reward. (Really! Check out Red's post below.) But neither of us realized that billions of people don’t have access to toilets. And if it weren’t for today being World Toilet Day, we never would have known the magnitude of the associated health and safety issues – or the connection between sanitation and groundwater.

RED: What can I tell you? When I was a kid, one of my all-time favorite things to do was … clean the toilet. Yes, you read that correctly. And it wasn’t because I was a germophobe or a clean freak. I just loved being able to sit on the floor, using as much Bon Ami (I’ve no idea why I remember the brand) cleaning powder as I wanted. And the best part? All those bubbles!

It kept me entertained for hours. Not to mention, my mom was thrilled because it kept me “contained” and out of her hair. So much so that if I was very good and behaved myself, she might even give me “special permission” to clean the toilet in my parent’s bathroom. Of course, Black, being five years older and understanding the situation, found it all extremely amusing. Even now, decades later, she still gives me grief about it,

Keep Reading ...Show less