Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember when we were kids, and all that we could watch during the summer, on the handful of TV stations that existed back then, were reruns?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course. The summer hiatus. When shows went "on vacation" and everyone anxiously awaited the return of new episodes or new shows.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I actually enjoyed the reruns. I still do. Especially if it's an episode I haven't seen before. But I'm also one of those people who will watch favorite movies over and over again.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you probably are not interested in the scientific reasoning why people love watching reruns, but they do. However, it does explain why there is so much money in syndication rights. An extreme example is the sitcom "Friends" which generated more than $1 billion for its creators and stars.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

One billion?! With a "B"?! Is that why you wanted our book, or should I say, "my crisis", to be the basis of a sitcom? And I still laugh at your description of it as a 2-pound calling card.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The reality is I viewed your crisis as a business opportunity since I thought other people could relate to what you were going through. It was only once I started researching publishing that I saw how many movies and shows were based on books. As I continued to do my research (homework never ends), it became obvious that the most successful sitcoms are relationship-based. And, there were lots of "characters" in your story.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, you saw Red & Black as a sitcom waiting to happen? Even before the book took on a life of its own?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste. But, the reality is people could relate to your situation on various levels. That is what makes successful sitcoms successful. And, makes them even better reruns. For years, sometimes decades.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Only you would analyze reruns vs. just enjoying them. It's funny, with all the cable and streaming channels, I almost feel like everything's a rerun. If you find something you like, you can watch it whenever you want, and as often as you want. Not to mention, so many of the channels have reruns of the shows we watched growing up. And everything in between.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Think about the math – if you have that many channels trying to provide content 24/7, how much content does that require? Of course, you will need reruns. It makes the reruns needed to "cover" when a show is on hiatus, especially if only for a few days or a week, seem like nothing.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't put a little thought into what they rerun. I recently turned on "The View" and completely understood them showing a rerun as I'm sure the hosts wanted a summer break, but they chose a show that I thought was no longer relevant. They've done so many great shows; I wish they'd have gone into the "archives" and found something that was either relevant or purely entertaining.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I agree, you should be selective when choosing what rerun to, well, rerun. Or, depending on the rerun, maybe provide some sort of introduction or context.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, do you think our website content could be "recycled" as reruns?! We already have hundreds of posts, and there's no way any of our new followers will go back through them all. Not to mention, we have so many favorites that I'd love for readers to have an opportunity to see them. Either again, or for the first time.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you trying to tell me you need a break from Red & Black?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Asks the woman who admits to having no other life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it is a great idea. Whether wanting a break to recharge or needing to be prepared in case something unforeseen happens. I guess we need to start identifying favorites and potential reruns.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It sounds like I just created more work for myself …

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Does that mean this post will not be one of your favorites?
Image by osbkin on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I love history and understand that “Lincoln freed the slaves,” but the Civil War was about more than slavery. It was about preserving the Union, and about states’ rights (some things never change) and westward expansion. However, once President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the war between the states would be forever remembered as a war to end slavery. Although I’ll admit that I’d never of Juneteenth until I moved to Texas. And I was surprised to learn it took two and half years after the Emancipation Proclamation for slaves in Texas to be set free, but that explains why Juneteenth’s celebrated as the end of slavery in the United States. And why it was declared a federal holiday in 2021.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Change is never as simple as issuing proclamations. Especially since slavery represented systemic racism, inequality, and inhumanity. Real change requires words and actions, and a change in mindset. Celebrating the end of slavery is noble, but it should also serve as a reminder of where we are and how far we still have to go. Ending racism is not as simple as saying it is wrong but recognizing that it still exists is an important start.
Image by Kenishirotie on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Father’s Day , when I think of Daddy, I think about alligators and turtles. I know that might sound crazy, especially as there are so many wonderful memories, but those stand out. As does the fact that every day, he taught me about unconditional love and was always there for me. And even though he passed away over 20 years ago, the memories are as strong, both emotionally and “visually”, as if it was just yesterday. And for that, I’m so grateful.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you are probably expecting me to talk about how Father’s Day is, in many ways, a form of “equal rights" since Mother’s Day was already in existence , or maybe the business aspects of it being a “ retail holiday ”. Instead, at the risk of sounding warm and fuzzy, I will just say that dads always have a very special place in the hearts of their “little girls” … no matter how old those “girls” become.

Wishing all dads a very Happy Father’s Day!

Photo by nycshooter on iStock
It seems most appropriate that Flag Day falls during Effective Communication Month, or at least it does to Black, who years ago had suggested Red use race flags as a fun (and “safe”) way to communicate with her teenage daughter. From that point on, Red never looked at the “Stars & Stripes” the same way again … because she learned flags might be one of the most straightforward and effective ways to communicate – whether feelings of pride and support, messages to racecar drivers, or even to indicate your moods.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4 th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory . Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.
Keep Reading ...Show less