It's funny, the habits you don't even know you have … or why.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Every time Red yawns when she's wearing her mask, she laughs at herself covering her mouth, thinking why does she even bother as it's already covered and then, in the next breath, remembers that her extremely pragmatic sister does the same thing.

After all, it's really just a habit. A good habit. One we were taught as kids, although not with as interesting an explanation as the supposed "real" reason described by Thrillist (we love the "bizarre" explanations of other routine traditions, too),

You do it now because it's courteous and hygienic, but way back when, people were shielding their mouths during a sneeze or yawn for very different reasons. Ancient cultures believe that when you sneezed, you left an empty void inside that could be filled with evil spirits, and that yawning left you susceptible to demons entering through your mouth.

Of course, Black was curious about "why" (her favorite word) we yawn and was surprised to find an interesting analysis on the Library of Congress website (we know that yawning's contagious, but just the pictures of people and animals yawning, made her yawn). She also found an article with a simple table on the causes and a "yawning test".

Red's reaction?

Just the topic of yawning makes me yawn. But covering my mouth – with or without a mask – is a comforting part of the process.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less