Underlying photo by CDC on Unsplash

The coronavirus has changed everything for all of us, and the stories of the first responders and the countless heroes on the front line who are fighting this pandemic never cease to inspire us. But we wanted to do something – anything – to help. But what?

FREE For Educators

So, when educators reached out to us to see if we could provide online resources, telling us they found our print materials (and especially our book) engaging and educational, and their students found it fun and relevant, Black immediately said, "Yes." And when they asked the cost, Black (as the business half of Red & Black), replied without hesitation, "Free."

FREE For Parents

Red knows what it's like to have kids not only home from school, but bored and looking for something to do. She also knows never to tell them something's "good for them." Feedback we've gotten from parents is they've found Red & Black and our assortment of materials provides them with something they can use with their kids or, even better, do together. Plus, parents like that it's engaging and relevant yet requires no prior knowledge or advance preparation (unlike trying to help your kids with algebra).

Want More Information?

To learn more about our free, fun, and easy-to-use resources, including chapter-by-chapter PDF's of our bestselling book (intended as the basis of a sitcom when it was launched by Neiman Marcus, it was approved by the Texas State Board of Education as a textbook!), please go to the resource page we created For Educators.

Photo by nycshooter on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory. Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.

I can't believe that Sawyer's graduated from high school and will be off to college in a few months. It's so bittersweet. Especially as it seems like only yesterday you were bringing me dinner in the hospital the day she was born – it was wedding soup from my favorite Italian restaurant.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, since that has now become one of her favorite restaurants, that is where we should go to celebrate the start of her exciting new journey.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exciting is an understatement. As soon as she finished her Zoom session with the orientation team at Belmont University, she came downstairs and talked a mile a minute about all the incredible course offerings, and before I knew it, she opened her laptop and was going through everything with me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

When she showed it to me, I was impressed by the range of courses available, and it made me want to go back to college. But, I was most impressed by her enthusiasm and commitment to opening herself up to opportunities that she might not have previously considered.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know! For years, starting when we taught at KIPP Houston High School, you've told students that college was a step-along-the-way, not a destination. And the perfect opportunity to try new things.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I also said, "Homework never ends; it just is called 'research' when you get older."
Keep Reading ... Show less