Top of the morning to you. And the afternoon. And the evening. Because it's said, "On St. Paddy's Day, everyone is Irish!"

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we're not Irish, our memories of celebrating St. Patrick's Day go back to our childhoods growing up in New York – Red remembers green bagels and our mom's corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes while Black remembers wearing green so as not to get pinched.

The Irish may have observed this day as a religious holiday for over 1,000 years, but it's also a day that's celebrated across the globe by those who are Irish, of Irish descent, or merely want to celebrate because it's a "fun" holiday. (Chicago dyes its river green.)

Red carries on her mom's tradition of slow-cooking corned beef for a St. Patrick's Day dinner, but admits it's mostly because she (and now her daughters) loves homemade corned beef. And although throughout her life many people have assumed that she was Irish (it must be the red hair), she admits knowing very little about the history behind St. Patrick's Day.

Black always wondered about the tradition of wearing green to avoid being pinched, but never could get a straight answer why (remember she's old, and the internet's relatively new), so decided a green blouse or scarf was a small price to pay. Not to mention, she's always been a clothes horse, so her closet has clothing in every color.

So, however you celebrate St. Patrick's Day – as a religious holiday, with food and drink, wearing of green, thoughts of leprechauns and luck – enjoy the day. And if you need a little inspiration, check out these Irish quotes. And if you want to make green beer, check out this Betty Crocker recipe!

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less