Top of the morning to you. And the afternoon. And the evening. Because it's said, "On St. Paddy's Day, everyone is Irish!"

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we're not Irish, our memories of celebrating St. Patrick's Day go back to our childhoods growing up in New York – Red remembers green bagels and our mom's corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes while Black remembers wearing green so as not to get pinched.

The Irish may have observed this day as a religious holiday for over 1,000 years, but it's also a day that's celebrated across the globe by those who are Irish, of Irish descent, or merely want to celebrate because it's a "fun" holiday. (Chicago dyes its river green.)

Red carries on her mom's tradition of slow-cooking corned beef for a St. Patrick's Day dinner, but admits it's mostly because she (and now her daughters) loves homemade corned beef. And although throughout her life many people have assumed that she was Irish (it must be the red hair), she admits knowing very little about the history behind St. Patrick's Day.

Black always wondered about the tradition of wearing green to avoid being pinched, but never could get a straight answer why (remember she's old, and the internet's relatively new), so decided a green blouse or scarf was a small price to pay. Not to mention, she's always been a clothes horse, so her closet has clothing in every color.

So, however you celebrate St. Patrick's Day – as a religious holiday, with food and drink, wearing of green, thoughts of leprechauns and luck – enjoy the day. And if you need a little inspiration, check out these Irish quotes. And if you want to make green beer, check out this Betty Crocker recipe!

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less

Normally, you shred important papers before trashing them … not expensive art after selling it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red will admit that she's never been into art, except for the Tudor paintings section of the National Portrait Gallery in London, but that's because she loves Tudor history. And although she's been to plenty of art museums, they were more to "tick off" places on her tourist "to do" list than a genuine desire to see the art. That even includes the Mona Lisa at The Louvre in Paris! (When in Paris, Black was content to go to the Louvre-Rivoli Metro station as the platforms themselves were decorated with art replicas found inside the Louvre Museum.)

Black can't remember when she first became interested in contemporary art, although it went to a whole new level when her second husband asked her to acquire an investment-quality collection. In typical Black fashion, she not only researched the art market and worked with an art consultant, but became friends with several leading artists with whom she shared a mutual passion … cars and racing.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Take one famous actor, a brilliant billionaire, and mix in space travel. Sound like the start of a sci-fi movie or an example of how truth can be stranger than fiction?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red recently learned that the actor William Shatner was going to be on board the second Blue Origin's space mission (now delayed until tomorrow due to weather), she admitted that she's more interested in history than current events, so compared it to the historic initial launch on July 20, which included 82-year-old Wally Funk. However, at 90-years-old, Shatner will become the oldest person ever to take a trip to space. (Talk about two great role models of inspiration and passion not having age limits.)

Meanwhile, at the risk of alienating (pun intended) Star Trek fans, Red's only seen a few of the movies, and Black has seen none, but we both have fond memories of watching the original TV show with our dad, who loved the show. So, we can't resist (like everyone else) quoting the opening monologue and its proclamation "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Keep Reading ... Show less