Banter Bites

You Don’t Have To Be Irish

Top of the morning to you. And the afternoon. And the evening. Because it's said, "On St. Paddy's Day, everyone is Irish!"

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we're not Irish, our memories of celebrating St. Patrick's Day go back to our childhoods growing up in New York – Red remembers green bagels and our mom's corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes while Black remembers wearing green so as not to get pinched.

The Irish may have observed this day as a religious holiday for over 1,000 years, but it's also a day that's celebrated across the globe by those who are Irish, of Irish descent, or merely want to celebrate because it's a "fun" holiday. (Chicago dyes its river green.)

Red carries on her mom's tradition of slow-cooking corned beef for a St. Patrick's Day dinner, but admits it's mostly because she (and now her daughters) loves homemade corned beef. And although throughout her life many people have assumed that she was Irish (it must be the red hair), she admits knowing very little about the history behind St. Patrick's Day.

Black always wondered about the tradition of wearing green to avoid being pinched, but never could get a straight answer why (remember she's old, and the internet's relatively new), so decided a green blouse or scarf was a small price to pay. Not to mention, she's always been a clothes horse, so her closet has clothing in every color.

So, however you celebrate St. Patrick's Day – as a religious holiday, with food and drink, wearing of green, thoughts of leprechauns and luck – enjoy the day. And if you need a little inspiration, check out these Irish quotes. And if you want to make green beer, check out this Betty Crocker recipe!

Black can’t help but think backward (more on that below), but Red always thought being told that you do things backward was an insult, not a compliment. Except, maybe, on National Backward Day, when everyone is encouraged to have a bit of fun, shake up the “normal” way of doing things, and maybe even find a better way of doing some things. Or at least to try a different perspective. And if nothing works, you can follow Black’s advice to Red and say, “Dammit, I’m mad”! Which she quickly pointed out is a palindrome – a word, sentence, verse, or number that reads the same backward or forward.

Since when does doing something backward mean you're doing it wrong?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, still that straight-A student, has always tried to do things the “right” way, which has meant looking at things in a very traditional way; while Black, who doesn’t think like most “mere mortals” (as Red's fond of telling her) looks at things in a very different, or perhaps even “backward”, way.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Empowering girls – one cookie at a time. Ok, maybe one box of cookies at a time.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s that time of year when many people’s New Year’s resolution of eating better is challenged by the arrival of Girl Scout cookies; something that poses a problem for Red, while for Black, it's an opportunity.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Two years ago, on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And the power of dreams. And as long as there's social unrest and social injustice in the United States (stop and think about the first word … as we’re supposed to be united), the more we can learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof of the power of peaceful protests.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.