Imagine if the Academy Award for Best Picture had over 300 different movies nominated …there were 318 nominees for the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Every year when nominees are announced for the Nobel Peace Prize there's inevitably uproar over some questionable nominations. And every year there are a host of articles that appear both in defense and opposition to the nominees. So why should this year be any different? Except that maybe the reaction to the nominees is as polarizing as everything else seems to be these days.

This week Red, for probably the first time, actually paid attention to the press surrounding the Nobel Peace Prize, mostly because it seemed like she couldn't avoid it. And when she asked Black what she thought about the nominations, Black basically referred Red to the Nobel Peace Prize website explaining how there's a fairly long list of people who submit nominations (deadline was February 1) and then commenting,

Being nominated may give you bragging rights … but prestige and honor come from winning.

Red thought that was it, until Black added that she found the 50-year secrecy rule very interesting.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less