Words & Banter

RED & BLACK … May I Help You?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Why does everything have to be such a struggle? Even a simple phone call to a doctor’s office. I don’t know whether it’s because I’m tired or getting older, but I just don’t have the time or the patience for this.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Me, neither.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you mean this conversation? Or are you agreeing with me? Which, although nice, doesn’t make sense, as you don’t even know what happened.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I listened to what you said and suspect something that should have been simple became a production. I do not need the specifics to understand the concept.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, at least you’re listening. Which is part of the problem.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, now I need more information.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I used to think that the phone systems where you call a company and get automated prompts were the worst thing imaginable, as I wanted to speak to a human. Now I’m not so sure.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, they can be very time-consuming and frustrating, but there are ways to bypass the system.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks, but the problem started once I reached a real person. I don’t think people listen anymore.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I agree with that, too. Or, maybe you do not get to the point quickly enough.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Fine. A few months ago, I got a bill for my annual physical, and it included an item I shouldn’t have been billed for. But it was during the holiday season, so I got busy with other things. About a month later, I called the office, and after spending quite a bit of time going over everything, I thought it was resolved.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Let me guess; it was not.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Not even close. I received a letter from a credit collection agency! Which led to having to start all over again with a different person in the doctor’s office. Hopefully, it has been resolved this time, and I’ll get a corrected invoice, not a second letter from the collection agency.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You do realize you could have paid the uncontested amount at the start. And, FYI, the collection process is probably another automated system the doctor’s office uses.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I was looking for sympathy, not advice, but I should’ve known better. Anyway, the whole thing is ironic. I know that I’m always saying that with everything being automated these days, I want and miss dealing with people. And then it was people that created this problem.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, technology and automation caused the problem. But, whoever handles “customer service” should have been able to fix it. This means businesses need employees who are knowledgeable, good communicators, and problem solvers.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of being old-fashioned, is it too much to want them to ask, “Can I help you?” and mean it?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

“Can” means having the ability. And, is a separate question from “May I help you?” which reflects the desire the help. Both are required.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I’ll ignore the English lesson, but that’s what Home Depot does! They hire people who are knowledgeable about the products, and they’re always happy to help. In fact, they’ve often walked me clear across the store to help me find something. I remember trying to buy a new toilet, which somehow became complicated, but the store manager went above and beyond to make everything right. Bottom line, and this may sound crazy, but they take pride in helping customers.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That started at the top. It was how the company was built. They wanted to be a big business that offered the expertise and service of a small hardware store. When the chain first started, they stacked empty boxes on high shelves to give the illusion of being bigger than they were, but provided training for their employees to make sure they could help customers with most home repairs or improvements.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Impressive, but it must be expensive to train everyone.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It is an investment. And, reflects priorities. But, not all jobs require that level of training. It is about mindset and perspective. Each employee that interacts with a customer has the power to make the experience a good one or a bad one. Customer service should be more than a stand-alone department.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember when we were “teaching” at KIPP Houston High School, and you explained to the seniors that taking pride in how you do your job, regardless of what it is, doesn’t “cost” anything and doesn’t require special training. And is a great way to stand out in today’s workforce.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When I was in corporate, I told my employees the same thing.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember when you interrupted the manager’s meeting at the table next to ours at Pappadeaux’s Seafood Kitchen to say that same thing? I bet that was the last thing they expected to hear from a customer.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I could not help myself. Although it had been years – no, make that decades – since I worked at the Strawberry Patch, one of the Pappas’ first restaurants, I still remember the manager, Steve Sims, explaining that the hostess is the first employee the customer would meet and that they set the tone for either a great start or a bad experience. Each person, no matter what their job, is an important member of the team. It has stuck with me all these years.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

What a powerful but simple lesson. However, I have a hard time picturing you working in a restaurant.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You would have an even tougher time if you saw the uniform I had to wear. Luckily, there are no pictures.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you sure? Maybe I should call their customer service.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe you should not …

Remember summer reruns on TV? Well, this month’s column is a first … it’s a “rerun” of our July 2020 column, except we added the word “CRITICAL” in the title. Because, four years later, we feel it’s very sad (and scary) that our sentiments about our country’s leaders having the strength, courage, and conviction to be independent thinkers are still relevant (maybe even more than before). So, the Fourth of July may be behind us, but Election Day will be here before you know it.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep forgetting to ask you, since Sawyer is away at camp, what did you do for July 4th?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it was a very different Fourth of July. No kids. No barbeque. No fireworks.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know most of the fireworks were cancelled, but is your barbeque grill broken?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No, this year I decided to declare my "independence" from doing a big holiday grocery shop, major prep work, and cooking outdoors in Texas heat.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I wish there were more people willing to declare their independence.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Somehow I don't think you're talking about me making an easy pasta dish in the comfort of my air-conditioned house vs. standing over a hot barbeque on a hot day.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by Nednappa for iStock

How you celebrate July 4th may change from year to year (Red will still enjoy a quiet holiday, but this year will be reading as it may take all summer to get through “War and Peace”), but what should never change is remembering WHY (one of Black’s favorite words) we celebrate as well as the sacrifices made to live in a free country …

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

This is going to be a very unusual July 4 th for me, with neither girl being home. Natasha always hated the fireworks, but Sawyer would insist we do all the traditional things – barbequing, lots of watermelon, and then watching the fireworks in the Texas heat and humidity. So, this year, I plan to make it a really “cool” holiday … staying in the air-conditioned house, watching a movie or one of my TV series, and celebrating my day of independence from any “mom” responsibilities with a big bucket of freshly popped popcorn!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, everyone celebrates differently. But, when I think of Independence Day, I think about the challenges our Founding Fathers faced when they drafted the Declaration of Independence , especially as they did not always agree on issues. Challenges our nation continues to face (it is a holiday, so I will not get into the increasingly divisive aspects of politics). And, I cannot help but wonder how many people realize the extent of the sacrifices made by those who signed it in exchange for our country’s freedom. Which is why, as we celebrate July 4th, we need to remember,
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Photo by nycshooter on iStock
What do you get when you cross Flag Day (June 14) with June being Effective Communication Month? Well, if you include Black in the mix, you get one of Red’s favorite memories … and a unique way to think about the importance of communicating – whether in your personal or professional life. And especially if you’re in a racecar!

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4 th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory . Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.
Keep Reading ...Show less