Banter Bites

Celebrating July 4th On July 5th

Admit it … didn't you enjoy having a more "normal" July 4th?!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Whether you're someone that's working today (of course, Black treats every day as a workday, so a "holiday" merely means that there's less "interference" from the outside world) or if you're fortunate enough to have the day off (Red forgot to ask Black if she considered today a "holiday" and isn't brave enough to ask at this point), it's still a day of celebration,

We hope that your Fourth of July found you enjoying some "independence" and a return to "normal traditions" (we're all trying to figure out our "new normal"), and an appreciation of the Fourth of July, which is so much More Than Food & Fireworks. Yesterday may be the day we officially celebrated our independence and freedom, but it's something we should remember today … and every day.

If you’re looking for a reason not to mow, there’s logic behind letting it grow …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: As is often the case, Red hadn’t heard of the latest trend, “No Mow May,” which is all about lawn maintenance (or the lack of it) until Black started sending her articles about it.

Keep Reading ...Show less
It’s hard to imagine one holiday celebrates … spring, women’s fertility, workers, and labor rights. But it shouldn’t surprise you that even though it dates back thousands of years, we each “dance around” different aspects of May Day.

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Spring’s supposed to be full of optimism as it represents a new beginning, with longer days, the trees and flowers blooming, the birds chirping, and a general feeling of rejuvenation. So, whose idea was it to rudely interrupt it with Tax Day? And the fact it’s April 18 this year instead of April 15 (when we ran the article below in 2021, we got two extra days) hardly makes it any less, well, … taxing.

This quote is perfect, except that we don't know who said it, "People who complain about taxes can be divided into two classes: men and women."

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's probably a safe bet (yes, the IRS even has specific rules on how to handle gambling income and losses) that no one looks forward to Tax Day, but it would be easy to make assumptions that how people approach this potentially stressful day would be impacted by how much, or how little, money they make …

Keep Reading ...Show less