Words & Banter

More Than Food & Fireworks

Photo by lukbar on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It may sound crazy, but unless Sawyer's home to celebrate the Fourth of July, I don't plan to barbeque, make any traditional July 4th themed recipes, or even go see fireworks. Yet, I'm still looking forward to Independence Day! I think it's because, unlike last year when we couldn't do much because of COVID-19, this year will be more "normal" – whatever "normal" may be. In fact, to celebrate, I might finally go back to the movies!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Everyone celebrates differently. But I think we can all relate to the conflict, fears, and even bullies of their time, that the Founding Fathers faced when they drafted the Declaration of Independence. Although I wonder how many people realize the extent of the sacrifices made by those who signed it in exchange for our country's freedom. And, as we celebrate the birth of our great nation, we should remember,
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

P.S. – On a lighter note, no matter how you choose to celebrate Independence Day, you might enjoy this wonderful video and these July 4th fun facts!

Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less