Banter Bites

Don’t Passover These Stories

You don’t have to be Jewish to enjoy the story of Passover.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the straight-A student, had the Bat Mitzvah while Black, the troublemaker, rarely went to synagogue – so any guess who knows more about Passover, one of the most widely observed Jewish holidays?

Red learned most of what she knows about Passover from “The Ten Commandments,” a Hollywood “blockbuster” movie from 1956 (older than Black!) which she has seen countless times. (Check your local listings as it’s typically aired during the Passover/Easter season.) It’s the story of Moses, including him leading the Jews’ exodus from Egypt to escape slavery and the unforgettable parting of the Red Sea.It’s the story of matzoh (a cracker-like flatbread) because the Jews didn’t have time to wait for their bread to rise. It’s the story of when G-d struck down every firstborn Egyptian male, the lamb’s blood over the doors of Jewish homes saved their children (the angel of death “passed over” those homes).

As a lover of movies (and popcorn), and a theater major in college, Red explains,

I know “epic” movies shouldn’t be where I learn about religious holidays, but this movie did provide an extremely entertaining and unforgettable explanation of the key aspects of Passover. Although I know the famous director, Cecil B DeMille, took artistic license when interpreting the Bible.

Then there’s Black, who knew what was covered by the movie but also knows the religious significance of Passover. And that it’s about the number four (who equates a religious holiday with a number?!) – four questions, four sons, four expressions of redemption, and four cups of wine. And she remembers some Passover seders (the traditional Passover feast) that felt as if they lasted four hours!

P.S. – This year, Passover, Good Friday, and Easter overlap, which makes all the holidays even more special.

What do the classic movie “Gone With The Wind,” the TV sitcom “That Girl,” and Lucille Ball have in common? At first glance, the answer is easy. They were hugely popular at the time but have stood the test of time as they continue to have fans decades later. Red, a theater major and movie buff, could explain all the “artistic” reasons why, but Black has (as always) a very different perspective.

It has to do with role models and how they can come from the most unexpected places – both real and fictional. Scarlett O’Hara, a heroine from the Civil War, was a fiercely independent woman (even by today’s standards), while Marlo Thomas portrayed “That Girl” as perhaps the first “modern woman”, one living on her own in a big city and pursuing a career vs. a family. But as Black points out to Red in “RED & BLACK … Girls Can Do Anything!,” it’s Lucille Ball that’s the ultimate badass (Black’s word, not Red’s), proving that you can be an amazing actress and comedian while simultaneously being a pioneer in the TV industry and a shrewd businesswoman.

And what better time than Women’s History Month to reflect on how women can inspire other women to do amazing things? After all, Black may not admit to being a role model, but she will admit that her racing a Ferrari has inspired countless girls over the years, and women of all ages are amused when she says, “How hard can it be? Boys do it.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by filipefrazao on iStock

Were you like Red and shocked when the actor Chadwick Boseman died at the age of 43 after battling colon cancer for years? Cancer isn’t only for older people, and recent studies show more people under 50 are getting cancer. (Doctors aren’t sure why but suspect it may be due to less physical activity, more highly processed foods, and new toxins.) That’s why cancer screenings are more important than ever!

February may be Cancer Prevention Month – but we need to do it all year! Every year. And is why we’re rerunning last year’s post …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that cancer isn’t the “death sentence” it used to be when we were growing up, but it’s still a very scary word. Especially if it’s heard “close to home”.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When we were young, the word was rarely said. And if it was, it was whispered or referred to as the “ c-word.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Kind of like when I had my two miscarriages. No one wanted even to acknowledge, let alone talk about, them. Which made it all the more difficult to get through it, although intellectually, I knew it was not uncommon.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, neither is cancer. It is the second-leading cause of death in the world, surpassed only by heart disease. But, at least, it is no longer a taboo subject.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please don’t make this about numbers. It’s about people. Which you should know. I’m sure you remember when Daddy was diagnosed with parotid gland cancer , which luckily was treatable. And I’ve had skin cancer, although I was very fortunate, it was caught early and easily treated.
Keep Reading ...Show less