Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

So, how do you plan to explain the Words & Banter section? On the surface, it may appear as a hodge-podge of items. About an assortment of topics. Things that don't fit nice and neatly in specific categories.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you describing this section? Or, life?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I should've known that you'd answer my question with a question.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

How long have I been your sister? By now, you should be used to it.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

True. Just like you should be used to my blah-blah-blah.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Which explains why we never have a shortage of Words … or sisterly Banter.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That, and the fact you always seem to have a different point of view or perspective on any given topic.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

We are sisters – not clones.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, sometimes I think you're a Vulcan. Anyway, should we mention that we expect the Words & Banter section to have something new almost every day? And that it's where our monthly newspaper columns will appear?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You just did.

Want to be the first to see new content? Register on the "sticky bar" at the bottom of the page.

Rendering by porcorex on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Based on the "hints" in your Ghosting post, it sounds like your recent "romance" wasn't quite a Lady GaGa "bad romance", but, well, a frustrating one.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Interesting comparison, as years ago Gaga revealed that she is drawn to bad romances, but is not sure if she goes after them or they find her. Regardless, my "relationship" ended in the dating stage and never really became a romance. Either when I dated him almost 30 years ago, or recently. Although, this time, I thought it had potential.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I was amazed that you were even willing to "rekindle" the relationship as you're not exactly a believer in "recycling" relationships, as I think you once phrased it. In fact, I thought you were pretty adamant about the concept of not repeating your mistakes.

It started when Black sent Red a LinkedIn post about Louis Armstrong, asking her to "connect the dots" (one of Black's favorite things to do). Red knew that he was one of the most distinctive and talented jazz musicians in American history, but it was a complete surprise to learn that he had such a strong connection to a Jewish couple that immigrated from Lithuania and that he wore a Star of David for most of his life to honor them. That alone made it a "truth is stranger than fiction" story. The fact it's also a touching story about kindness and love makes this, at least for Red, even better than fiction.

Black, who prefers the pragmatic aspects of Armstrong's unusual journey – from being an impoverished black boy to an extraordinary career as a musician, singer, and composer – and sees it as a story of overcoming barriers, realizing your potential, and finding freedom (and she discloses an interesting connection between Armstrong and Independence Day).

Our July column, "RED & BLACK … The Sound Of Freedom," connects all those dots and is about so much more than surprising facts about Louis Armstrong. It's also about the power of music, inspiration, and hope, not to mention a very different way of looking at freedom.

Everyone laughs and wants to hear the story when I mention that I was recently "ghosted" by someone I had dated. What I find interesting is that ghosting has become so prevalent in today's society (and is not restricted to dating) that there is a term to describe the sudden "disappearance" of someone who wants to avoid all future contact with you.

Going back decades, I know there have been first dates that, at the time, I thought went well. But, after getting the "I'll call you" line … I never did. As a teenager, I can remember anxiously waiting for the phone (a landline tethered to the wall – and yes, I am that old) to ring, not wanting to go out and possibly miss the call. And, being very disappointed by the silence. Now, I cannot even remember who they were.

Keep Reading ... Show less