Banter Bites

Celebrate Amazing Accomplishments. Full Stop.

Black often tells Red, “Ignorance is not bliss, ignorance is ignorance.” And Red never ignored Black history; it just wasn’t taught in school. (February being designated as Black History Month didn’t happen until 1976, and Red was already 14 and Black was in college.) Unfortunately, in many places, it still isn’t being taught, or not to the extent that it should be, but we’re not going to get into the politics of teaching Black history. However, we’re strong believers in lifelong learning, so if you haven’t been “taught” it … that doesn’t mean you can’t take the initiative to learn it on your own. And now’s the perfect time to start!

Black History Month begs the question, "Why aren't we celebrating all significant achievements by men and women of ALL races ALL year-round?"

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Interesting that even though Red loves history (but she admits Tudor history is her favorite), she'll be the first to admit that she knows very little about Black history.

But the fact it's Black History Month is helping to change that, as the various morning TV shows that she usually has on in the background have been running different segments on Black achievements. Red was surprised (and, in some cases, shocked) at the achievements and accomplishments – independent of the fact that they were done by Black people. When she asked Black (sorry, no pun intended) her thoughts, Black said that each year during Black History Month she reads an assortment of articles, and this year found a great article by Mashable that lets you visit exhibits online.

Regardless of how we find our information, we both agree:

There are so many notable events and people that should be celebrated in a color-blind way, but Black History Month highlights those that are even more extraordinary in that they had to overcome the obstacle of being Black in America.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less