What do the Liberty Bell, spaghetti, and April Fools' Day have in common?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Even if you don't "celebrate" April Fools' Day, hopefully, you're careful not to be taken in … yet, for some reason, Red's always on "high alert" when it comes to her sister, Black.

When Red thinks of pranks, she thinks of teasing someone or trying to "fool" them in some minor way, nothing elaborate or serious. More the kind of harmless, juvenile pranks that kids might do to each other.

She never really thought that a prank could require significant planning until Black suggested it could, so decided to do a little digging and discovered some incredibly complex, but also amusing and very clever pranks, or rather, as the article called them, the 15 best April Fools' Day hoaxes. Even though it was from 2012, many of them could still happen today, and Red struggled with whether her favorite was the one about the Liberty Bell or the spaghetti story (it's hard to imagine the BBC pranking people).

Red could only imagine the pranks Black might have played but when questioned whether she'd confess to any, Black told her about this week's Volkswagen prank that didn't go well, and then gave her a history lesson instead.

Did you know back in the days of the Roman Empire and the Julian Calendar (named after Julius Caesar), the New Year used to start around April 1, and it was centuries before it was changed to January 1? Well, many people did not "get the news" and continued to celebrate on the original date, and people who considered themselves "in the know" made fun of those people and referred to them as April Fools.

Well, that explanation made sense to Red. But the more she thought about it, the more she began to question whether Black was playing a simple prank on her, so had to check out the history of April Fools' Day.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less