Make it rhyme … and it will pass the test of time …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It seems that Vermont has been on Red's mind a lot lately, but this memory from her years in the very cold and very rural state isn't one that she could've predicted not only remembering but sharing with her family as "words of wisdom" in the midst of an unprecedented winter storm in Texas.

It all started when Black called Red to let her know that the widespread power outages would soon result in a water crisis (serious shortages due to damaged infrastructure, offline treatment plants, and freezing pipes), so she might want to fill her bathtubs to have a reserve of water, noting it was not drinkable without first boiling it, but could be used to "flush" the toilets.

Red had already lost power but luckily still had water, but taking her usual overly cautious (some might say paranoid) approach, she immediately started filling the bathtubs explaining to her family, "If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow, let it mellow." After the usual moans and groans, and declaring, "That's gross," Red made it clear that she wasn't kidding.

She then realized it had been decades since she had thought about that rhyme, remembering she first heard it when a kid on one of her family's trips to Vermont, yet it came back to her right away. And before she gave it any more thought, decided to share it with her sister. But rather than being grossed out or even amused, Black responded with a very Black-like comment. It may not have been what Red was expecting or even wanted, but she had to admit made a lot of sense …

So, it takes a devastating Texas winter storm with widespread power outages and loss of water to make you think about water conservation … and selective flushing?

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less

When you look at someone with a tattoo, what's your first thought?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although tattoos have been around for thousands of years, how they're perceived has changed dramatically over the last few decades; just ask Red, who when she was growing up would've made a face and responded, "Yuck," while Black would've said she found them cool and (just to annoy our mom) that she could see getting one.

Keep Reading ... Show less