There are things that are hard to believe. This is probably going to be one of those.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Some stories make you wonder about people and the decisions they make ...

That was Red's first reaction when Black told her about Tessica Brown, the woman who decided to use Gorilla Glue when she ran out of the hair spray she normally used to keep her hair in place. After asking all the expected questions –what was she thinking, who would even consider using a super glue type product on their hair, was this a publicity stunt – Red couldn't help but wonder about the jokes and public ridicule Tessica was probably facing on social media.

Yes, social media can be unkind. And putting Gorilla Glue on your hair is bad enough without letting the world know about your poor judgment. Especially since it's hard to imagine that Tessica was doing it as a public service so other people wouldn't make the same stupid mistake. When Black saw the initial TikTok video trending on Twitter, she was surprised … not by the story (she admits she ceases to be surprised by what trends on Twitter), but by people's reactions.

Instead of being laughed at and mocked, people seemed very empathetic and genuinely concerned about her situation. Even if self-inflicted. Since then, many people, including professionals in the hair industry (and the Gorilla Glue company), were making suggestions and giving advice. With many people asking to be kept updated – letting Tessica know they felt they were going on her unfortunate journey with her.

Hearing these reactions made Red acknowledge that it might be human nature to make fun of someone who's done something clearly "stupid" but there's a point where you realize there's honest pain, suffering, and even fear. Maybe the outpouring of support for Tessica (who's better known as the "Gorilla Glue Girl") is because she's admitted it wasn't her finest moment, and in her honesty allowed all of us to remember that she's only human, just like all of us.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Enjoying your favorite TV show and your favorite foods at the same time … what could be better?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: What could be more basic (and nostalgic for many) than the TV dinner, although who would’ve thought something so simple could generate such different reactions from Red & Black?

Keep Reading ...Show less