It was like any other weekday morning, a tumbler of hot coffee on my desk and the morning news on the TV in the background, as I brace myself as I open Outlook. Computer issues? Nope, especially now that I have a new computer. Instead, it's the daily onslaught of emails generated by Black as she seems to do her best thinking while the rest of us are sleeping.

Well, the subject line of one of her emails, "Crazy idea?", stands out and I open it to find an image of a Good Humor truck and a leading question:

Remember the Good Humor trucks that would come by every day every summer when we were growing up in New York?

Of course, I do! They were one of my favorite summer memories, and definitely the highlight of any given day, as the sound of the Good Humor truck would have me shouting to my dad and racing to the bottom of our driveway, impatiently waiting for my beloved Strawberry Shortcake ice cream pop. Often, my dad was right there beside me, sometimes to get a Chocolate Éclair bar, sometimes just to be there to enjoy my excitement. One of the luxuries of having a home office.

But, as usual, I digress. After momentarily wandering down memory lane, I continued reading. I know that Black doesn't usually reminisce, so figured that it probably something to do with the business side of ice cream. (Especially since I'm not sure she even eats ice cream as she's so committed to staying a size 2.) But I'd never have connected these dots:

Obviously, the Good Humor trucks were set up with freezers. Since the COVID-19 vaccines require refrigeration, I could not help but wonder if there could be "Good Health" trucks in neighborhoods where people do not have easy access to pharmacies, doctors, or hospitals to receive the vaccines.

Not knowing whether to laugh or roll my eyes, I just stop and think about it. And then I remember how I've known for a long time that Black's brain doesn't work the way most of ours do. Of course, this is just a "crazy idea" as her subject line indicates. Or, is it?

We know there currently are shortages of the vaccine, and challenges with distribution. But as vaccine supplies improve, wouldn't it be wonderful for communities to have the same excitement when they heard the sound of the Good Health truck as I did when I heard the Good Humor ice cream truck?

The Post Oak Hotel at Uptown Houston

Let me set the scene (keep in mind I was a theater major). The Houston area, where fur coats appear on the "ladies who lunch" when the weather dips below 50, has been hit by an unprecedented winter storm that not only brings snow and prolonged sub-freezing temperatures, but also creates statewide power outages for millions. My extremely pragmatic sister lives in a high-rise that lost power early in the storm and, thinking quickly, secures a hotel room in Houston's only five-star hotel, which just happens to be down the street from her place. Less than 24 hours later, I too lose power, but living in a house that has a fireplace, well-stocked pantry, and a gas cooktop, just hunker down. My car's parked on the driveway so I can easily access it to charge my gizmos, which also gives me the opportunity (or really, excuse) to warm up.

And it's there, while texting with Black (who, for the record, rarely texts but at that point in time it was the only form of communication that worked), that the following conversation ensues …

I know everyone's always trying to find balance in their life, but I've really been struggling with it as there always seems to be so much going on between Red & Black, Mom, the girls, the list is seemingly endless.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

And, as I am a die-hard workaholic that admits to not having a life, you think I have the answer?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Excellent point. Never mind.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

However, I do have some suggestions … if you do not mind, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Where did January go? Every day feels like Groundhog Day, but yet the months are flying by! Our January column was about "resets" instead of resolutions, so maybe we could expand on that and talk about self-improvement.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Instead of love, hearts, and Valentine's Day? Works for me.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe we can tie the two concepts together – become a better person as a Valentine's Day gift to yourself?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Instead of looking at what needs improvement, what about learning to love – and accept – yourself?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds rather arrogant, as I think it's safe to say that most of us could use some improvement.
Keep Reading ... Show less