Words & Banter

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream … For A Vaccine?

It was like any other weekday morning, a tumbler of hot coffee on my desk and the morning news on the TV in the background, as I brace myself as I open Outlook. Computer issues? Nope, especially now that I have a new computer. Instead, it's the daily onslaught of emails generated by Black as she seems to do her best thinking while the rest of us are sleeping.

Well, the subject line of one of her emails, "Crazy idea?", stands out and I open it to find an image of a Good Humor truck and a leading question:

Remember the Good Humor trucks that would come by every day every summer when we were growing up in New York?

Of course, I do! They were one of my favorite summer memories, and definitely the highlight of any given day, as the sound of the Good Humor truck would have me shouting to my dad and racing to the bottom of our driveway, impatiently waiting for my beloved Strawberry Shortcake ice cream pop. Often, my dad was right there beside me, sometimes to get a Chocolate Éclair bar, sometimes just to be there to enjoy my excitement. One of the luxuries of having a home office.

But, as usual, I digress. After momentarily wandering down memory lane, I continued reading. I know that Black doesn't usually reminisce, so figured that it probably something to do with the business side of ice cream. (Especially since I'm not sure she even eats ice cream as she's so committed to staying a size 2.) But I'd never have connected these dots:

Obviously, the Good Humor trucks were set up with freezers. Since the COVID-19 vaccines require refrigeration, I could not help but wonder if there could be "Good Health" trucks in neighborhoods where people do not have easy access to pharmacies, doctors, or hospitals to receive the vaccines.

Not knowing whether to laugh or roll my eyes, I just stop and think about it. And then I remember how I've known for a long time that Black's brain doesn't work the way most of ours do. Of course, this is just a "crazy idea" as her subject line indicates. Or, is it?

We know there currently are shortages of the vaccine, and challenges with distribution. But as vaccine supplies improve, wouldn't it be wonderful for communities to have the same excitement when they heard the sound of the Good Health truck as I did when I heard the Good Humor ice cream truck?

Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less