It was like any other weekday morning, a tumbler of hot coffee on my desk and the morning news on the TV in the background, as I brace myself as I open Outlook. Computer issues? Nope, especially now that I have a new computer. Instead, it's the daily onslaught of emails generated by Black as she seems to do her best thinking while the rest of us are sleeping.

Well, the subject line of one of her emails, "Crazy idea?", stands out and I open it to find an image of a Good Humor truck and a leading question:

Remember the Good Humor trucks that would come by every day every summer when we were growing up in New York?

Of course, I do! They were one of my favorite summer memories, and definitely the highlight of any given day, as the sound of the Good Humor truck would have me shouting to my dad and racing to the bottom of our driveway, impatiently waiting for my beloved Strawberry Shortcake ice cream pop. Often, my dad was right there beside me, sometimes to get a Chocolate Éclair bar, sometimes just to be there to enjoy my excitement. One of the luxuries of having a home office.

But, as usual, I digress. After momentarily wandering down memory lane, I continued reading. I know that Black doesn't usually reminisce, so figured that it probably something to do with the business side of ice cream. (Especially since I'm not sure she even eats ice cream as she's so committed to staying a size 2.) But I'd never have connected these dots:

Obviously, the Good Humor trucks were set up with freezers. Since the COVID-19 vaccines require refrigeration, I could not help but wonder if there could be "Good Health" trucks in neighborhoods where people do not have easy access to pharmacies, doctors, or hospitals to receive the vaccines.

Not knowing whether to laugh or roll my eyes, I just stop and think about it. And then I remember how I've known for a long time that Black's brain doesn't work the way most of ours do. Of course, this is just a "crazy idea" as her subject line indicates. Or, is it?

We know there currently are shortages of the vaccine, and challenges with distribution. But as vaccine supplies improve, wouldn't it be wonderful for communities to have the same excitement when they heard the sound of the Good Health truck as I did when I heard the Good Humor ice cream truck?

I can’t believe it’s already May, which means hot and humid weather is just around the corner. All I can say is … ugh.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not a scientific term, but descriptive nonetheless. And, I hate to break the news to you, but the science of climate change and global warming means summers will keep getting hotter.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can remember growing up in New York and summers being hot, but not like now. Of course, it didn’t help that Mommy didn’t run the air conditioning until it got into the 90s.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Epiximages on iStock

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I appreciate that bullet points may not be the typical approach to Mother’s Day, but it seems appropriate to me …
  • Be sensitive to those people whose mothers may no longer be with us, especially given how many have been lost to COVID
  • If you have lost a mother, remember they are always with you – in your heart and in your memories
  • Remember Mother’s Day also includes all those “unofficial moms” and “mother figures” who are like second (or replacement) moms
  • And, last but not least, If you’re a mom, try to enjoy the day by doing something for yourself, as today may be the one day you can get away with it

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

This year I write about Mother’s Day with a heavy heart and still much raw emotion, as our mom passed in December. My pragmatic side (yes, that’s usually Black’s area although she did sound somewhat warm and fuzzy above) knows that she had been 94 and led a full life, but that really doesn’t make it any less sad or fill the emptiness. But I find myself, when I least expect it and triggered by the most unexpected things, finding comfort in wonderful memories. And although Black’s first bullet point hits too close to home for me, I’ll try my best to focus on the other bullets.

Wishing all moms a very Happy Mother’s Day!

At speaking engagements, Black will often ask, “Who likes math?” followed by, “Who likes money?” As you can imagine, a lot more hands go up in the air for the second question than the first. But imagine if she asked if money made them laugh. It’s probably safe to say no one would say, “Yes.” Although they’d be wrong because people laugh (and learn) at basic, but potentially life-changing, stories about Red and how, when it came to money, she was clueless and intimidated.

It could be the story of Red putting her theater degree to good use as she freaked out about vocabulary. Especially since she was a straight-A student and avid reader who prided herself on her vocabulary. (If words set her off, Black could only imagine the “scene” that would have occurred if she had asked Red this handful of questions.) But Red’s financial crisis did prompt the ever-pragmatic Black to envision the power of a sitcom with entertaining money episodes because … Money IS A Laughing Matter!

Want to read other columns? Here’s a list.