We're so excited! Today's the soft launch of our website, which we've created in response to requests from fans (including educators) for more Red & Black content.

We'll be posting new content every day, and over the next ten days will be introducing all our different sections. However, each section already has an overview of what to expect.

Of course, the logical place to start is who are Red & Black. We also want to mention we've posted our most recent Banter Bites. We started posting them to our Twitter and Facebook pages back in March, and will be loading all of them on this site. Why? Readers are telling us they're a fun and quick read, as well as relevant to their day-to-day lives. Please be patient with us, though, as it may take us a little while to get all of them posted.

What's in store for tomorrow? Our Words & Banter section ... which seems so appropriate since we never have a shortage of Words ... or sisterly Banter!

Stay tuned ... much more to come!

Photo by Rabbitti for iStock

It’s #GivingTuesday, and although it’s always a good time to think of others, remember all the people who are continuing to deal with the aftermath of natural disasters long after the headlines have been forgotten.

And even though Black believes charitable giving can be “secretive”, she also knows there’s science proving helping others is good for you. (Warning: she likes to recommend the book “Wonder Drug: 7 Scientifically Proven Ways That Serving Others Is the Best Medicine for Yourself.“)

P.S. – Wherever you may choose to donate, beware of potential scammers. So, if in doubt – check them out! (Black likes GuideStar and Charity Navigator.)

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know today’s Giving Tuesday, but what I always find so amazing is how you treat every day as “Giving Tuesday."

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

What makes you say that? I do not donate to an organization or charity every day.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You’re always so literal. I meant that the spirit of “giving to others”, whether donating or providing support in some way, seems to be part of your daily life.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you are exaggerating.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo courtesy of Red’s eldest daughter, Natasha

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of asking you a warm and fuzzy question, have you thought about what you’re most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I should’ve guessed that you’d take the question literally. Could you expand on that a little, or at least give me a hint?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by htomas for iStock

When Red was a child, toilets represented more than a place to go when, well, you had to go. Much to Black’s amusement, Red saw cleaning them as a reward. (Really! Check out Red's post below.) But neither of us realized that billions of people don’t have access to toilets. And if it weren’t for today being World Toilet Day, we never would have known the magnitude of the associated health and safety issues – or the connection between sanitation and groundwater.

RED: What can I tell you? When I was a kid, one of my all-time favorite things to do was … clean the toilet. Yes, you read that correctly. And it wasn’t because I was a germophobe or a clean freak. I just loved being able to sit on the floor, using as much Bon Ami (I’ve no idea why I remember the brand) cleaning powder as I wanted. And the best part? All those bubbles!

It kept me entertained for hours. Not to mention, my mom was thrilled because it kept me “contained” and out of her hair. So much so that if I was very good and behaved myself, she might even give me “special permission” to clean the toilet in my parent’s bathroom. Of course, Black, being five years older and understanding the situation, found it all extremely amusing. Even now, decades later, she still gives me grief about it,

Keep Reading ...Show less