Last year, it was a day of despair and disbelief, but also one of hope and pride … this year, the feelings of hope and pride seem to have disappeared.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: If possible, the concerns and feelings of despair and disbelief we had a year ago about the January 6 Capitol riots are even stronger today as there’s more video footage, photographs, and first-hand testimony. While there’s no denying there was bloodshed and lives lost at the Capitol, some may debate, usually influenced by their political beliefs, the ramifications of the day. But as Black alluded to when it first happened – you can’t help but question whether Democracy will prevail long-term … because last year, the world witnessed something most people would never have thought possible in the United States of America.

Today, there will be events and speeches commemorating this “Day of Infamy,” and we hope that, as the Speaker of the House stated in her Press Release about specific events at the Capitol,

These events are intended as an observance of reflection, remembrance, and recommitment, in a spirit of unity, patriotism, and prayerfulness.

Ok, let’s be clear (pun intended) … Communication is critical. Whether in your personal life or in business, not to mention communication skills are transferable between the two (Black even suggested Red hold family “business” meetings). And what better time to work on how we communicate, and maybe even have a new attitude toward vocabulary and “50-cent words” (Red loves those, but terminology scares her!?), than during Effective Communications Month.

Talking isn't the same as communicating. And hearing isn't the same as listening. Think about it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Being an effective communicator, whether in our personal lives or at work, is a critical skill but one-size-doesn't-fit-all as we each use very different methods and styles … ranging from lots of words and talking stuffed animals (Red) to bullet points and racing flags (Black).

Keep Reading ...Show less

Most workaholics can rationalize working all the time. At least to themselves.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: “Gizmos” already blurred the lines between the workweek and the weekend, but the WFH (working from home) “revolution” caused by the pandemic has destroyed the line; except for people like Black, who have always treated every day as a workday.

Keep Reading ...Show less

We all “celebrate” Memorial Day differently, but we all should remember it’s a day to honor those who gave their lives serving this country.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Memorial Day may be the unofficial start of summer, and Red remembers celebrating over the years with family get-togethers, barbeques, and pool parties; whereas Black “celebrates” most holidays by having a quiet day to work uninterrupted, but it’s important never to forget the significance of the holiday.

Keep Reading ...Show less