Banter Bites

Ukraine: Was History Repeated – Or Ignored?

Just because it’s happening “over there” doesn’t mean it won’t affect us “over here” …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although Red’s a warm and fuzzy mom who loves history and Black’s a highly pragmatic businesswoman who always says “Follow the money,” when it comes to Ukraine, we’re both highly concerned about the volatile situation, but neither one of us feel like we know enough about the problem even to begin to comment on possible solutions.

Red strongly believes one of the most critical roles that history plays (although she admits her area of “expertise” is Tudor England, not Russia) is to help us learn from the past and, hopefully, not repeat mistakes. But the situation in Ukraine has made her wonder if that only made matters worse,

Why did it get to the point it did? Weren’t there were enough clues, if not military intelligence, to warn the decision-makers sooner? Especially as those “in the know” should have known the repercussions of allowing things to escalate. And what makes this even more frightening is the proliferation of nuclear weapons, which potentially could turn this into a doomsday scenario.

Red always counts on Black to set her straight when she becomes too emotional, acknowledging that it often (ok, usually) clouds her judgment. So, imagine her surprise (and disappointment) when Black’s healthy dose of pragmatism and logic provided no comfort during this uncertain time.

I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I do not even have enough information to comment intelligently. Right now, it is very easy to get to information overload, not to mention start doomscrolling. Especially since there is no shortage of people sharing their thoughts, opinions, and even differing “facts”.

Of course, we do not have a crystal ball, but you don’t need one to see the loss of life will continue to grow, and there will be a heartbreaking refugee crisis, as well as serious economic implications. But if history (and now social media) has taught us anything,

We’re all connected, even though Ukraine may be geographically far away. And people (and governments) may be judged by how we got here, but humanity will be judged by what we do now.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less