Banter Bites

Ukraine: Was History Repeated – Or Ignored?

Just because it’s happening “over there” doesn’t mean it won’t affect us “over here” …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although Red’s a warm and fuzzy mom who loves history and Black’s a highly pragmatic businesswoman who always says “Follow the money,” when it comes to Ukraine, we’re both highly concerned about the volatile situation, but neither one of us feel like we know enough about the problem even to begin to comment on possible solutions.

Red strongly believes one of the most critical roles that history plays (although she admits her area of “expertise” is Tudor England, not Russia) is to help us learn from the past and, hopefully, not repeat mistakes. But the situation in Ukraine has made her wonder if that only made matters worse,

Why did it get to the point it did? Weren’t there were enough clues, if not military intelligence, to warn the decision-makers sooner? Especially as those “in the know” should have known the repercussions of allowing things to escalate. And what makes this even more frightening is the proliferation of nuclear weapons, which potentially could turn this into a doomsday scenario.

Red always counts on Black to set her straight when she becomes too emotional, acknowledging that it often (ok, usually) clouds her judgment. So, imagine her surprise (and disappointment) when Black’s healthy dose of pragmatism and logic provided no comfort during this uncertain time.

I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I do not even have enough information to comment intelligently. Right now, it is very easy to get to information overload, not to mention start doomscrolling. Especially since there is no shortage of people sharing their thoughts, opinions, and even differing “facts”.

Of course, we do not have a crystal ball, but you don’t need one to see the loss of life will continue to grow, and there will be a heartbreaking refugee crisis, as well as serious economic implications. But if history (and now social media) has taught us anything,

We’re all connected, even though Ukraine may be geographically far away. And people (and governments) may be judged by how we got here, but humanity will be judged by what we do now.

Black can’t help but think backward (more on that below), but Red always thought being told that you do things backward was an insult, not a compliment. Except, maybe, on National Backward Day, when everyone is encouraged to have a bit of fun, shake up the “normal” way of doing things, and maybe even find a better way of doing some things. Or at least to try a different perspective. And if nothing works, you can follow Black’s advice to Red and say, “Dammit, I’m mad”! Which she quickly pointed out is a palindrome – a word, sentence, verse, or number that reads the same backward or forward.

Since when does doing something backward mean you're doing it wrong?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, still that straight-A student, has always tried to do things the “right” way, which has meant looking at things in a very traditional way; while Black, who doesn’t think like most “mere mortals” (as Red's fond of telling her) looks at things in a very different, or perhaps even “backward”, way.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Empowering girls – one cookie at a time. Ok, maybe one box of cookies at a time.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s that time of year when many people’s New Year’s resolution of eating better is challenged by the arrival of Girl Scout cookies; something that poses a problem for Red, while for Black, it's an opportunity.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Two years ago, on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And the power of dreams. And as long as there's social unrest and social injustice in the United States (stop and think about the first word … as we’re supposed to be united), the more we can learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof of the power of peaceful protests.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.