Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm still smiling at you letting Sawyer drive your Mercedes G-wagen. Although I know that her dream car's a Ford F-150, I think yours is her "fantasy car".

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I knew the "long way" to drive back to your house, but after asking her if she knew the best way, it seemed easier to have her drive.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, you might have thought of it as efficient, but she thought it was exciting. And she told me that she was honored you trusted her to drive.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Did she mention that once we got back to your neighborhood, we saw a huge turtle on the road? Moving very slowly, of course, so I was not concerned it would become an unexpected road obstacle.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of all the things she might encounter in our neighborhood – cyclists, Amazon delivery trucks, dog walkers – to find a turtle in the street was probably the last thing she was expecting.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, me. I know we laugh about me needing Benadryl to visit you in the suburbs, but it is due to all the pets and children – not wildlife.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

That turtle made me think of Daddy. I'm not sure you were still living at home at the time, but do you remember when he "saved" the turtle on the road?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Daddy was driving on Wantagh Avenue, near Kwong Ming (our favorite Chinese restaurant growing up in Massapequa), when, all of a sudden, he pulled off the road and hopped out of the car.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

If I remember correctly, that road did not get much traffic.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

True, but there were still cars on the road, and it was still a very unusual thing for him to do. I was probably around ten or so and sitting in the back seat, so was a little surprised when the car stopped, and he quickly got out. But when he said, "I'll be right back," I could tell by his voice that everything was ok.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Considering that Daddy was very mild-mannered and not the sort of person to panic or to overreact, I am not sure the tone of his voice would have been a good indicator.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Regardless, I wasn't the most observant of kids, so unless the car were on fire, I probably wouldn't have thought much of any of it. So, while he walked across the road, I didn't think twice about getting out of the car to watch what he was doing. Not because I was worried, but out of curiosity.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

It is hard to imagine that same scenario today, for an assortment of reasons. Unless, of course, it was staged for YouTube or Instagram.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know, but it was a different time. Decades ago.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I can picture Daddy waving the cars to slow down while scooping up the turtle and depositing it well away from the side of the road.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Close. He disappeared on the other side of the road for a few minutes, and when he returned to the car, he told me that there was a stream, so he had carried the turtle down the bank and placed it by the water. It was a hot summer day, and he figured that the poor turtle had somehow wandered far from home and was now trying to find water. Not to mention grass and shade.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds like Daddy. Well, the conditions were similar when Sawyer and I saw the turtle in your neighborhood, but I have no idea where the local stream is located.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I wish I had been around, as I'd have paid homage to Daddy by scooping up the turtle and at least try to find it a safe place. And based on what Sawyer told me, if she sees him (or her) again, that's exactly what she plans to do.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Like father, like daughter … like granddaughter.
Photo courtesy of United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Shoes. Seemingly endless shoes. That’s all I can think about.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you cannot be talking about my closet.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Far from it! It’s an image that’s forever burned in my memory. A pile of shoes, each one representing a life lost. Each one a story onto itself. Each one proof of something we should never forget.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Normally, I would ask you to tell me what you are talking about or accuse you of being overly dramatic. But, not this time.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Walter Bibikow on Alamy

I Love Lucy. For many of us, myself included, those three words bring back memories of favorite episodes of the “I Love Lucy” show. And, although I would be hard-pressed to pick my favorites, some may reminisce that the show, which ran from 1951 – 1957, was from a simpler time and is dated. I would argue that the comic timing, the gags, and the chemistry of the characters have stood the test of time.

Maybe it is because they took frustrating situations in everyday life and then pushed them to the extreme – and made them hilarious along the way. For example, your young child wants a superhero at their birthday party. Reasonable. But for Lucy, after unsuccessfully trying to book Superman (Chris Reeves), she dons the costume in “Lucy and Superman.” A classic.

Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by klohka on iStock

As soon as Black wrote it, it became one of Red's favorite posts, so although we had to wait a year to feature it again, we've always known it would become a new Thanksgiving tradition. After all, what could be a better Turkey Day tradition than a perfect memory about a perfect turkey?

And for everyone, we want to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving that, as Black says below, is … filled with memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ... Show less
True