We may have our differences, but when it comes to a disaster, we come together.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red’s daughter, a freshman at Belmont University in Nashville, let us know that tornadoes were forecast for later that day, we never could’ve imagined the magnitude of the event; and we felt helpless when in the middle of the night Sawyer let us know all the dorms had gone into “sheltering” (thank you, Belmont, for your preparedness!) as a tornado’s path was forecast to pass through campus.

But while Sawyer was lucky in that she and her classmates were ultimately safe, the next morning, no one could quite believe the utter devastation, extraordinary destruction, and countless lives that had been lost due to tornadoes that tore through six states, hitting Kentucky especially hard. The stories of heartbreak, of loss, and of heroes, will continue and it will take years to recover.

There really isn’t much more we can say except that it’s times like this is when we all want to do something, anything, to help … so we’re going to repeat what Axios editor Laurin-Whitney Gottbrath, who's based in Louisville, Kentucky, suggests:

Donate

Give blood

Be smart: Before donating to any organization you're not familiar with, check out their profiles and rankings on sites like GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

Last year on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Today, in these divisive times, we can all learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof that peaceful protests can achieve social justice.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.

National holidays aren’t the time to count calories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We both agree that happiness has a hole in it, although one of us may only eat one bagel a year while the other tries to keep it to only one bagel when she does indulge.

Keep Reading ... Show less

A day to clean up your desk?! It will take way more than a day …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: No one is immune from piles of paper, not even Black, the master of organization, but there’s a huge difference between a desk with a few small piles and some scattered papers (although her laptop’s keyboard needs serious cleaning) and Red’s “workroom” that usually looks like a tornado hit it.

Which is why Red rolled her eyes when Black mentioned today’s National Clean Your Desk Day, as it’d take her significantly more than a day to “clean up this mess,” but then she remembered Black’s advice on how to keep her piles (and piles) of paper under control and felt inspired. Red admits often feeling like she’s drowning in paper, but that’s because she lets the piles get out of control before reminding herself of Black’s very easy, straightforward approach to turning her mountains of paper into small manageable hills. And, significantly reducing stress along the way, because as Black points out,

Sometimes, it is more important to know what you are ignoring than it is to deal with everything in the piles.