We may have our differences, but when it comes to a disaster, we come together.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red’s daughter, a freshman at Belmont University in Nashville, let us know that tornadoes were forecast for later that day, we never could’ve imagined the magnitude of the event; and we felt helpless when in the middle of the night Sawyer let us know all the dorms had gone into “sheltering” (thank you, Belmont, for your preparedness!) as a tornado’s path was forecast to pass through campus.

But while Sawyer was lucky in that she and her classmates were ultimately safe, the next morning, no one could quite believe the utter devastation, extraordinary destruction, and countless lives that had been lost due to tornadoes that tore through six states, hitting Kentucky especially hard. The stories of heartbreak, of loss, and of heroes, will continue and it will take years to recover.

There really isn’t much more we can say except that it’s times like this is when we all want to do something, anything, to help … so we’re going to repeat what Axios editor Laurin-Whitney Gottbrath, who's based in Louisville, Kentucky, suggests:

Donate

Give blood

Be smart: Before donating to any organization you're not familiar with, check out their profiles and rankings on sites like GuideStar and Charity Navigator.

Thanksgiving dinner may be behind us, but we continue to face increased food prices this holiday season. Some of us can still manage, although it may take some adjustments in eating and shopping habits. But for many, it means “food insecurity” (which is more than just being hungry, it’s a consistent lack of food), with more and more people turning to food banks.

So, if you can, and in the spirit of holiday gift-giving, consider donating to your local food bank. It may end up being the best gift of all because helping others is good for you.(Red knows it makes her feel good and puts her in the holiday spirit, while Black “ignores” the emotional aspects and touts the science behind it.)

Food prices. What goes up must come down. Or not.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, like most of us, has been impacted by rising food prices and shortages, while Black knows that understanding “why” that’s happening doesn’t help you put food on the table.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Some things never change, like our Thanksgiving routines. But that’s ok, as Thanksgiving’s about traditions, so it seems only appropriate that we’d like to repeat what we’ve told you before …

We'll keep this simple and to-the-point … Happy Thanksgiving!

Sadie Hawkins Day started as a made-up holiday in a comic strip called Li’l Abner, but Black finds the idea of women needing a “special day” to feel empowered is … well, comical.

Comic strip or reality show: A group of bachelors participates in a foot race, and whoever's caught by the single woman in the race will become her husband.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We may be sisters, but except for growing up with the same parents in the same house in New York, that may be where the similarities end; especially in terms of dating "protocol" as Black never thought twice about asking boys (and later men) out on a date, while Red never gave it any thought, accepting the convention that boys did the asking. (She did make an exception for her senior prom but was shocked when he accepted.)

Keep Reading ...Show less