Welcome! You've arrived during our soft launch … and we're thrilled you're here, but hope you'll understand that we have so much content – and not enough hours in the day (good thing Black works all the time, as she's the one loading everything). Check back as we promise to have new content in this section ASAP.

Curious to see what we've already loaded? Search on the phrase "Launch Box."

Want "Red & Black Banter" in your inbox? Sign-up on the "sticky bar" at the bottom of this page!

Photo by enviromantic for iStock

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know I shouldn’t say this, but I can’t stand N95 masks! They make me feel like a duck.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That quacks me up. Regardless, they are much more effective than cloth masks. And, FYI, they do come in different shapes.

assets.rebelmouse.io

I just wish they were more comfortable.
Keep Reading ... Show less
RED+BLACK - She's Being Sarcastic?!

How can Black be sarcastic about … a crisis??? Easy. Because sarcasm’s her default setting (Red knows it’s more realistic to expect sarcasm from her sister than compliments), and Black never passes up an opportunity to be a … well, let’s just say she never passes up the opportunity to be sarcastic. Even when talking about something as straightforward as New Year resolutions, she has to be sarcastic about her sarcasm!

Curious about the "Back Story" to our animation teasers? Red's daughter, Sawyer, told us we needed to do some very short animated "teasers" … so Black said, "Great. You want to work in video production. Take the final working versions of our animation and start creating them!" So, she did!

P.S. – For those of you who've met us or seen us at speaking engagements, we'd love to know if you think the animators have accurately captured us! (You can email us at Banter@RedandBlackBooks.com.)

FULL QUESTION: What do you think about hugging? And how do you handle hugging in the age of COVID?

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Being a warm and fuzzy person, I’ve always been a hugger, but even before the pandemic, I was aware that some people liked hugs more than others, so would “regulate” my hugs accordingly. For example, neither of my children have inherited my hugging “gene”, although sometimes they don’t get a vote, instead getting a big ole’ mom hug. But I digress (as usual).

My biggest adjustment in terms of “COVID” hugging, especially now that things have become a little “easier” (I’ve been vaccinated and had a booster), is that I simply ask people what their preference is. For some, a hug is welcome (and the human touch wanted), while others are good with a fist or elbow bump, while others prefer to keep their distance entirely. Which, to be honest, is usually people that wouldn’t have wanted a hug even before COVID, so not a big deal.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Anyone who knows me knows I am a non-hugger. Always have been. I am also that person who is always curious, so found there is science behind why people are or are not huggers. And, although I fully appreciate that hugs provide a wealth of health benefits (I was fascinated by this study), that still does not change that I find hugging can be selfish (the hugger often is the one needing a hug).

COVID, and especially the fact the omicron variant is so contagious, provides a legitimate excuse for me not to hug. However, I will make exceptions for close friends that I know need the hug – as long as I also know that they, like me, are fully vaccinated and still mask-up outside the home.