Girl Scout cookies – boxes filled with happiness, memories, and community service. (We’ll forget the calories.)

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up with Girl Scout cookies, although while Red always indulged without thinking for a single second about anything except for how good they were, Black was always focused on the business side, thinking of them as an edible commodity.

We’d always have an assortment of Girl Scout cookies in the house as everyone had their favorites – Dad loved them all, Mom was happy with anything that had chocolate, Red’s was Shortbread (also known as the Trefoil) which was the closest to the original Girl Scout cookie, and Black, well even back then she didn’t have a sweet tooth. But she’s always wanted to try the new flavors, even if she only ate one cookie. (Talk about willpower! But she’d probably call it market research.)

And now the 2022 Girl Scout cookie season is here. However, some things never change, with Black more interested in the business aspects, especially in the face of the pandemic,

What a great idea to make the cookies available through DoorDash, and I love that the local troop gets the credit for the sales. And, while I am fascinated by the analysis of “most searched for” flavors by state, I am not surprised that even Girl Scout cookies face supply chain issues.

Red, ever the traditionalist, will continue to be (happily) guilt-tripped into buying from Girl Scouts as they set up tables at seemingly every grocery store she goes to. Although this year she feels like she may be on a scavenger hunt,

My family loves brownies, so the new Adventurefuls, a brownie-based cookie with a center of caramel-flavored cream, sounds wonderful. Except for the fact there’s apparently a shortage of them. And while it won’t be the end of the world, I can’t deny that I’ll be disappointed if I don’t get to try them this year.

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less