Banter Bites

Scouting Out The Best Cookies

Girl Scout cookies – boxes filled with happiness, memories, and community service. (We’ll forget the calories.)

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up with Girl Scout cookies, although while Red always indulged without thinking for a single second about anything except for how good they were, Black was always focused on the business side, thinking of them as an edible commodity.

We’d always have an assortment of Girl Scout cookies in the house as everyone had their favorites – Dad loved them all, Mom was happy with anything that had chocolate, Red’s was Shortbread (also known as the Trefoil) which was the closest to the original Girl Scout cookie, and Black, well even back then she didn’t have a sweet tooth. But she’s always wanted to try the new flavors, even if she only ate one cookie. (Talk about willpower! But she’d probably call it market research.)

And now the 2022 Girl Scout cookie season is here. However, some things never change, with Black more interested in the business aspects, especially in the face of the pandemic,

What a great idea to make the cookies available through DoorDash, and I love that the local troop gets the credit for the sales. And, while I am fascinated by the analysis of “most searched for” flavors by state, I am not surprised that even Girl Scout cookies face supply chain issues.

Red, ever the traditionalist, will continue to be (happily) guilt-tripped into buying from Girl Scouts as they set up tables at seemingly every grocery store she goes to. Although this year she feels like she may be on a scavenger hunt,

My family loves brownies, so the new Adventurefuls, a brownie-based cookie with a center of caramel-flavored cream, sounds wonderful. Except for the fact there’s apparently a shortage of them. And while it won’t be the end of the world, I can’t deny that I’ll be disappointed if I don’t get to try them this year.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less