Girl Scout cookies – boxes filled with happiness, memories, and community service. (We’ll forget the calories.)

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up with Girl Scout cookies, although while Red always indulged without thinking for a single second about anything except for how good they were, Black was always focused on the business side, thinking of them as an edible commodity.

We’d always have an assortment of Girl Scout cookies in the house as everyone had their favorites – Dad loved them all, Mom was happy with anything that had chocolate, Red’s was Shortbread (also known as the Trefoil) which was the closest to the original Girl Scout cookie, and Black, well even back then she didn’t have a sweet tooth. But she’s always wanted to try the new flavors, even if she only ate one cookie. (Talk about willpower! But she’d probably call it market research.)

And now the 2022 Girl Scout cookie season is here. However, some things never change, with Black more interested in the business aspects, especially in the face of the pandemic,

What a great idea to make the cookies available through DoorDash, and I love that the local troop gets the credit for the sales. And, while I am fascinated by the analysis of “most searched for” flavors by state, I am not surprised that even Girl Scout cookies face supply chain issues.

Red, ever the traditionalist, will continue to be (happily) guilt-tripped into buying from Girl Scouts as they set up tables at seemingly every grocery store she goes to. Although this year she feels like she may be on a scavenger hunt,

My family loves brownies, so the new Adventurefuls, a brownie-based cookie with a center of caramel-flavored cream, sounds wonderful. Except for the fact there’s apparently a shortage of them. And while it won’t be the end of the world, I can’t deny that I’ll be disappointed if I don’t get to try them this year.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less