Banter Bites

Scouting Out The Best Cookies

Girl Scout cookies – boxes filled with happiness, memories, and community service. (We’ll forget the calories.)

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up with Girl Scout cookies, although while Red always indulged without thinking for a single second about anything except for how good they were, Black was always focused on the business side, thinking of them as an edible commodity.

We’d always have an assortment of Girl Scout cookies in the house as everyone had their favorites – Dad loved them all, Mom was happy with anything that had chocolate, Red’s was Shortbread (also known as the Trefoil) which was the closest to the original Girl Scout cookie, and Black, well even back then she didn’t have a sweet tooth. But she’s always wanted to try the new flavors, even if she only ate one cookie. (Talk about willpower! But she’d probably call it market research.)

And now the 2022 Girl Scout cookie season is here. However, some things never change, with Black more interested in the business aspects, especially in the face of the pandemic,

What a great idea to make the cookies available through DoorDash, and I love that the local troop gets the credit for the sales. And, while I am fascinated by the analysis of “most searched for” flavors by state, I am not surprised that even Girl Scout cookies face supply chain issues.

Red, ever the traditionalist, will continue to be (happily) guilt-tripped into buying from Girl Scouts as they set up tables at seemingly every grocery store she goes to. Although this year she feels like she may be on a scavenger hunt,

My family loves brownies, so the new Adventurefuls, a brownie-based cookie with a center of caramel-flavored cream, sounds wonderful. Except for the fact there’s apparently a shortage of them. And while it won’t be the end of the world, I can’t deny that I’ll be disappointed if I don’t get to try them this year.

Black can’t help but think backward (more on that below), but Red always thought being told that you do things backward was an insult, not a compliment. Except, maybe, on National Backward Day, when everyone is encouraged to have a bit of fun, shake up the “normal” way of doing things, and maybe even find a better way of doing some things. Or at least to try a different perspective. And if nothing works, you can follow Black’s advice to Red and say, “Dammit, I’m mad”! Which she quickly pointed out is a palindrome – a word, sentence, verse, or number that reads the same backward or forward.

Since when does doing something backward mean you're doing it wrong?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, still that straight-A student, has always tried to do things the “right” way, which has meant looking at things in a very traditional way; while Black, who doesn’t think like most “mere mortals” (as Red's fond of telling her) looks at things in a very different, or perhaps even “backward”, way.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Empowering girls – one cookie at a time. Ok, maybe one box of cookies at a time.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s that time of year when many people’s New Year’s resolution of eating better is challenged by the arrival of Girl Scout cookies; something that poses a problem for Red, while for Black, it's an opportunity.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Two years ago, on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And the power of dreams. And as long as there's social unrest and social injustice in the United States (stop and think about the first word … as we’re supposed to be united), the more we can learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof of the power of peaceful protests.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.