Banter Bites

A Holiday Weekend To Remember

Make your Memorial Day worthy of remembrance.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's something about holiday weekends that appeal to almost everyone, but where most people, like Red, look forward to having an extra "weekend" day, we suspect that few people see it the same way that Black does.

Memorial Day weekend is more than just a holiday weekend, it's also the "unofficial" start to summer. For some, that means getting away for the weekend, whether for mini-vacations or visiting friends or family, while for others, it could be a day trip. But even if it's as simple as inviting friends or family to a barbeque or picnic, this year will be special as life's slowly starting to return to some level of normalcy (whatever that is!) for people who have been vaccinated. (Although we still need to be "smart" about it.) Which, in itself, is something to celebrate. Not that Red needed a reason,

I'm not sure yet how what I'm doing this weekend, but I may go to my local AMC movie theater for the first time in over a year, which would make this a very memorable Memorial Day weekend. Or maybe just enjoy at home a great movie that honors those in the military. Or both! But I'm looking forward to being able to leisurely spend time in the kitchen (vs. hectic weekday meal preparation) and might even try some new recipes inspired by Memorial Day.

Well, we all need breaks from the craziness of our weeks and, let's face it, many weekends are often spent catching up from the week, so can be just as exhausting as the week itself. However, it sounds like Red's weekend will (hopefully) be spent doing things she loves. And the same for Black, but maybe not as you might imagine,

I can relate to you looking forward to leisure time in the kitchen, as I am looking forward to an extra day of uninterrupted work time at my computer. In fact, the only things on my calendar this holiday weekend are to put in an appearance at a Saturday evening birthday party in the building and an "appointment" on Memorial Day at 3 p.m. to observe the national moment of remembrance. So, it sounds like we both will be doing what we love best this weekend.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less