Banter Bites

Raw Videos. Raw Emotion.

Unfortunately, "never forget" now applies to a home-grown American tragedy. And once you watch these videos, it will be even harder to forget.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's no question we could debate amongst ourselves (especially since Black thinks of debate as a sport) about various aspects of former President Trump's second impeachment trial.

But regardless of the end result, we're all being impacted by the videos that are being shown. Yes, they're being presented by the Democrats as a way to show the violence and chaos of January 6, but neither party can deny it's far more than courtroom positioning as it shows the very symbol of American democracy, the Capitol, being besieged. And not by foreign enemies but American insurgents.

Red started to use her theater degree to explain to Black why the new videos were so powerful, but almost immediately found herself overwhelmed by their emotional impact. Even though she had seen much of the video already, it had never been put together in quite this way. Black, as pragmatic and non-emotional as she is, has no shortage of words about the events of January 6, what led up to it, and the trial itself.

But we both agree that as we watch each new video we're struck by the power of words and images, yet we know that it's critical to remember the videos started with raw footage. And we shouldn't overlook the raw emotion being expressed by members of Congress who were there as it happened.

Black can’t help but think backward (more on that below), but Red always thought being told that you do things backward was an insult, not a compliment. Except, maybe, on National Backward Day, when everyone is encouraged to have a bit of fun, shake up the “normal” way of doing things, and maybe even find a better way of doing some things. Or at least to try a different perspective. And if nothing works, you can follow Black’s advice to Red and say, “Dammit, I’m mad”! Which she quickly pointed out is a palindrome – a word, sentence, verse, or number that reads the same backward or forward.

Since when does doing something backward mean you're doing it wrong?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, still that straight-A student, has always tried to do things the “right” way, which has meant looking at things in a very traditional way; while Black, who doesn’t think like most “mere mortals” (as Red's fond of telling her) looks at things in a very different, or perhaps even “backward”, way.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Empowering girls – one cookie at a time. Ok, maybe one box of cookies at a time.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s that time of year when many people’s New Year’s resolution of eating better is challenged by the arrival of Girl Scout cookies; something that poses a problem for Red, while for Black, it's an opportunity.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Two years ago, on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And the power of dreams. And as long as there's social unrest and social injustice in the United States (stop and think about the first word … as we’re supposed to be united), the more we can learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof of the power of peaceful protests.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.