Unfortunately, "never forget" now applies to a home-grown American tragedy. And once you watch these videos, it will be even harder to forget.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's no question we could debate amongst ourselves (especially since Black thinks of debate as a sport) about various aspects of former President Trump's second impeachment trial.

But regardless of the end result, we're all being impacted by the videos that are being shown. Yes, they're being presented by the Democrats as a way to show the violence and chaos of January 6, but neither party can deny it's far more than courtroom positioning as it shows the very symbol of American democracy, the Capitol, being besieged. And not by foreign enemies but American insurgents.

Red started to use her theater degree to explain to Black why the new videos were so powerful, but almost immediately found herself overwhelmed by their emotional impact. Even though she had seen much of the video already, it had never been put together in quite this way. Black, as pragmatic and non-emotional as she is, has no shortage of words about the events of January 6, what led up to it, and the trial itself.

But we both agree that as we watch each new video we're struck by the power of words and images, yet we know that it's critical to remember the videos started with raw footage. And we shouldn't overlook the raw emotion being expressed by members of Congress who were there as it happened.

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less