Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I have to tell you that "Why?" is Black's favorite question. And one I used when I asked myself that same question.

I probably should mention that I started wearing a mask when COVID-19 was first announced, and even though it's been months since I've been fully vaccinated, I still wear a mask. And I socially distance as much as possible. Why? Because over the years, although I initially fought it, Black has made me realize that I need to think about why I'm doing something vs. just doing (or not doing) something. And in terms of COVID-19, even though the vaccine significantly reduces my chances of getting the virus or the highly contagious Delta variant, it's not 100% effective. And yes, I know that although cases have reached a 6-month high, the vast majority of recent hospitalizations (and deaths) are unvaccinated people. But I figure a mask's a small price to pay to protect myself from getting a milder case.

But there's more. I'm not willing to take the chance that I could possibly, unknowingly, spread the virus to our 93-year-old mom (even though she's been vaccinated). Or, for that matter, to anyone else I may come in contact with, including children.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I "do statistics" for fun but am not going to bore you with numbers. Bottom line: Even though I have been vaccinated, I want to reduce my chances of getting sick and/or spreading the virus. And, if wearing a mask (properly!) does that, I figure what is the big deal? (Not to mention, I am spending significantly less on lipstick.)

The other reason I wear a mask is because we are on the "honor system" in terms of who has been vaccinated. I know several people who refuse to be vaccinated and "in theory" are required to wear a mask, but do not. (Do not get me started.) And, although I can avoid being around them, there is no telling how many other unvaxxed and unmasked people are out there. I cannot control what they do, but what I do is totally within my control.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, before I saw this question, I had absolutely no idea what "greenwashing" was. I mean, not a clue. So Black sent me two good "overview" articles (American Scientific and UL) that helped me understand it's when a company makes an unsubstantiated claim to try and convince us that its products are environmentally "friendly" when they're not. Obviously, they're taking advantage of the fact most of us want to do whatever we can to help protect the environment and support businesses that do (although sometimes it's difficult if the products are significantly more expensive).

I'll admit, though, that once I began reading various claims about sustainability and "supposed" benefits, it became very confusing. And, in general, the topic gives me a headache, which is why I had to laugh when Black sent me a statement issued by Advil about its sustainability efforts.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I first became aware of "greenwashing" years ago when I stayed at a hotel that asked me to help "save the planet" by not having the sheets changed daily and reusing my towels instead of tossing them on the floor after a single use. Maybe I am cynical, but my initial reaction was they wanted me to help them "save money" since they would have less laundry to do. And, as I looked around my room and the hotel, I saw numerous ways they could be "green" – but were not, thereby supporting my initial impression. (Curious how consumers react to hotels that greenwash?)

Nowadays, many companies are rebranding themselves as well as renaming and repackaging products to demonstrate their "commitment" to the environment. But, just because they make a claim does not make it so. However, determining who is green versus "greenwashing" can be done, it just takes a little time and effort.

FULL QUESTION: Given all these natural disasters, what would you grab if you had to evacuate your home?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it really depends on how much time I have. For example, it wasn't a natural disaster, but several years ago, a gas line at my house was accidentally cut when foundation work was being done. All I did was run in, grab my daughter and dogs, the cars keys, and got the "you know what" out of there. You hear stories of people taking photos, computers, and perhaps a beloved stuffed animal, but in that moment, all I cared about was saving the lives of my loved ones.

A few years prior, when Hurricane Harvey was quickly intensifying and heading toward Texas, I had about six hours after getting a mandatory evacuation notice to get out of the house. So, at that point, I was able to not only pack my bags but gather important documents and a few sentimental items (and move things to the second floor in case the first floor flooded). Granted, it was all in an incredible rush/panic, but I still had those few precious hours. Now, copies of all my important papers are in a binder, ready to grab. And I created a master "evacuation checklist" based on this hurricane checklist (as that's the most "common" natural disaster in Texas) if I'm lucky enough to have time to pack.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Given natural disasters do not always give you lead time, everyone should have an evacuation checklist. I based mine on this evacuation list (but, the Ready Campaign has lots of great planning tools) as well as experience, since Hurricane Harvey resulted in a mandatory evacuation of my high-rise. (The basement, where all the building's mechanical equipment is located, flooded and left the building without power and uninhabitable for almost two months.)

I have always had digital copies of key documents on my primary computer (a laptop that I would grab), but now I also have them on two portable hard drives – one in a safety deposit box and the other in my "evacuation time capsule". And, what I mean by that is … imagine you were going to lose everything in your home – determine what items would you want to "save" (whether for sentimental or practical reasons) and put them in a small piece of luggage or carry bag. The interesting thing is when you do that, you will most likely find the items you consider irreplaceable are not the most expensive ones (those become your insurance company's problem, anyway.)

We saved this question as we thought it was perfect for National TV Dinner Day. Yes, believe it or not, it's a real thing.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Oh, yes, definitely! As a kid, I LOVED TV dinners. My favorite was the fried chicken. I remember them having four compartments – a meat, two veggies, and dessert. Usually apple cobbler. But as long as there were mashed potatoes, I was happy.

For me, the compartments were perfect because, as weird as it might sound (and as much grief as Black gives me about this), I used to have a "thing" about different food touching. Not to mention, I had a habit of eating the food on my plate one item at a time. But I have to admit, they may be called TV dinners, but I used to love to eat them at any time of day. Or night!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, I remember them. They are an example of brilliant marketing. In 1953, frozen meals were not a new idea, they just had never gained traction. However, television was a new phenomenon. Meanwhile, Swanson, the frozen food company, had greatly overestimated demand for Thanksgiving turkeys that year, and the story goes that in desperation, they put out a call for ideas to its employees. A salesman suggested turning the turkeys into frozen dinners using three-compartment aluminum-foil trays similar to what airlines used for in-flight food service. Regardless of who came up with the idea, tying frozen meals and TV together was brilliant, and TV dinners quickly became a huge market.