Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I have to tell you that "Why?" is Black's favorite question. And one I used when I asked myself that same question.

I probably should mention that I started wearing a mask when COVID-19 was first announced, and even though it's been months since I've been fully vaccinated, I still wear a mask. And I socially distance as much as possible. Why? Because over the years, although I initially fought it, Black has made me realize that I need to think about why I'm doing something vs. just doing (or not doing) something. And in terms of COVID-19, even though the vaccine significantly reduces my chances of getting the virus or the highly contagious Delta variant, it's not 100% effective. And yes, I know that although cases have reached a 6-month high, the vast majority of recent hospitalizations (and deaths) are unvaccinated people. But I figure a mask's a small price to pay to protect myself from getting a milder case.

But there's more. I'm not willing to take the chance that I could possibly, unknowingly, spread the virus to our 93-year-old mom (even though she's been vaccinated). Or, for that matter, to anyone else I may come in contact with, including children.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I "do statistics" for fun but am not going to bore you with numbers. Bottom line: Even though I have been vaccinated, I want to reduce my chances of getting sick and/or spreading the virus. And, if wearing a mask (properly!) does that, I figure what is the big deal? (Not to mention, I am spending significantly less on lipstick.)

The other reason I wear a mask is because we are on the "honor system" in terms of who has been vaccinated. I know several people who refuse to be vaccinated and "in theory" are required to wear a mask, but do not. (Do not get me started.) And, although I can avoid being around them, there is no telling how many other unvaxxed and unmasked people are out there. I cannot control what they do, but what I do is totally within my control.

FULL QUESTION: What do you think about hugging? And how do you handle hugging in the age of COVID?

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Being a warm and fuzzy person, I’ve always been a hugger, but even before the pandemic, I was aware that some people liked hugs more than others, so would “regulate” my hugs accordingly. For example, neither of my children have inherited my hugging “gene”, although sometimes they don’t get a vote, instead getting a big ole’ mom hug. But I digress (as usual).

My biggest adjustment in terms of “COVID” hugging, especially now that things have become a little “easier” (I’ve been vaccinated and had a booster), is that I simply ask people what their preference is. For some, a hug is welcome (and the human touch wanted), while others are good with a fist or elbow bump, while others prefer to keep their distance entirely. Which, to be honest, is usually people that wouldn’t have wanted a hug even before COVID, so not a big deal.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Anyone who knows me knows I am a non-hugger. Always have been. I am also that person who is always curious, so found there is science behind why people are or are not huggers. And, although I fully appreciate that hugs provide a wealth of health benefits (I was fascinated by this study), that still does not change that I find hugging can be selfish (the hugger often is the one needing a hug).

COVID, and especially the fact the omicron variant is so contagious, provides a legitimate excuse for me not to hug. However, I will make exceptions for close friends that I know need the hug – as long as I also know that they, like me, are fully vaccinated and still mask-up outside the home.

FULL QUESTION: New Year … New Resolutions? What’s the best New Year’s resolution you’ve ever made? The worst?

The year was only a few minutes old when Red’s youngest daughter asked what her New Year resolution was going to be. But before Red had a chance to respond, Sawyer said one of hers was to build on last year’s goals at the gym since her “before” (January 2021) and “after” (December 2021) photos had given her the motivation to keep working at it.

Red then realized that sometimes the best resolution might not be something new, but a continued commitment to something you’re already doing. Although, in her case, her best and worst New Year resolutions hadn’t changed from when she answered the question last year (nor had Black’s attitude toward resolutions) …

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm glad you didn't ask how many New Year's resolutions I've kept! I'm going to address the worse resolution first. It's the one where I promised myself that I was going to keep on top of emails because at any given time I can have tens of thousands (yes, that's the number) of emails in my inbox! They've all been read; I just haven't figured out what to do with them. I guess figuring that out should have been the resolution. On the other hand, the best resolution was to listen to my kids more. I have a bad habit of finishing their sentences or interrupting their thoughts with thoughts of my own. Granted, I'm far from perfect at it, but I'm getting better. And making a conscious effort to let them complete their thoughts before I talk has really improved our conversations, for both them and me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy question … because I do not make New Year's resolutions. I see goals and resolutions as ongoing efforts that start when you identify an objective – not because it is January 1 st. Some may be small and achieved fairly quickly, while others may take a lifetime. The key is finding a way to remember them and realizing you may hit roadblocks, detours, and/or delays … but there are many roads that will take you to the same destination.

FULL QUESTION: I get so confused by all the different Nobel Prizes, so what exactly is Nobel Prize Day?

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

As a former straight-A student and lover of history, I’m almost afraid to admit this, but I only recently learned that the award ceremony for Nobel Prizes occurs every year on December 10, even though the winners for the six different categories are announced in October (list of this year’s winners). And except for the Nobel Peace Prize, which to me is the “biggie”, I couldn’t have named any of the other categories (Chemistry, Physics, Literature, Physiology or Medicine, and Economics). Or the fact those five are presented in Sweden while, for some reason, the Peace Prize is awarded in Norway.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I find it funny that Red did not try to use the fact she loves Tudor history, and Alfred Nobel, who established the Nobel Prize, was Swedish as her “excuse” for not knowing more about the prize. Nobel, the inventor of dynamite, left a controversial last will and testament that used the bulk of his wealth to establish the Nobel Prizes. (It is ironic that money earned by developing and manufacturing explosives and munitions would fund a “peace” prize.) Talk about a way to get remembered. But, so is being honored with a Nobel Prize.