Is it the history, the traditions, or the 500 miles of racing? Whatever the reason, every year the Indy 500 is one of the famous and memorable races of all time.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red knows next to nothing about the Indianapolis 500 race, unlike her sister, Black (who prefers to call it the Indy 500), who knows far more than most people would care to, but Sunday's race was about more than history (Helio Castroneves became the fourth driver to win four times), tradition (including the drinking of milk), and interesting facts.

Whether you're a race fan or not, it only took a passing glance at the fans in the stands to realize that maybe, just maybe, things are starting to return to a sense of normalcy. Even with the venue restricted to 40% of capacity, the Indy 500's the world's largest sporting event since the start of the pandemic. Roger Penske, who bought the racetrack a few months before the pandemic shut down everything, summed it up best,

We're just excited to be opening up America.

Well, Red had no idea who owned the track, but she did know that inside the oval track where the Indianapolis 500 is raced, there's a road course (where drivers make both right and left turns). But, she only knew that because Black raced there with the Ferrari Challenge,

Even after all these years, I'm always amazed and proud of how you were the first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis. And I'm not the only one. Whenever you mention it at speaking engagements, it always gets people's attention, especially girls. Plus, I love how you use the track map to teach about racing, or so people think.

Well, Black, as always, is non-plussed by her achievement. However, she couldn't help but be impressed with how the Paretta team, which features almost all women, went from hoping to qualify (great NPR piece) to making history by racing in the Indy 500 known as the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing," although the race ended for them when the brakes locked on their final pit stop,

The women of the Paretta team – the owner, Beth Paretta, the driver, Simona de Silvestro, and four of the seven over-the-wall pit crew members, the two spotters, two of the engineers, and the entire front office at Paretta Autosport – are the most in motorsports history. Besides adding to the great history of the Indy 500, it is more proof that, as I always tell girls, "Women can do anything!"

This name comes with a warning ...

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Yes, climate’s a “hot” topic, but summer has only started (marked by the summer solstice), and Red’s already whining about the heat, while Black considersthe logic of naming heat waves. (Really! But it’s not her idea.)

Keep Reading ...Show less

Ok, let’s be clear (pun intended) … Communication is critical. Whether in your personal life or in business, not to mention communication skills are transferable between the two (Black even suggested Red hold family “business” meetings). And what better time to work on how we communicate, and maybe even have a new attitude toward vocabulary and “50-cent words” (Red loves those, but terminology scares her!?), than during Effective Communications Month.

Talking isn't the same as communicating. And hearing isn't the same as listening. Think about it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Being an effective communicator, whether in our personal lives or at work, is a critical skill but one-size-doesn't-fit-all as we each use very different methods and styles … ranging from lots of words and talking stuffed animals (Red) to bullet points and racing flags (Black).

Keep Reading ...Show less

Most workaholics can rationalize working all the time. At least to themselves.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: “Gizmos” already blurred the lines between the workweek and the weekend, but the WFH (working from home) “revolution” caused by the pandemic has destroyed the line; except for people like Black, who have always treated every day as a workday.

Keep Reading ...Show less