Is it the history, the traditions, or the 500 miles of racing? Whatever the reason, every year the Indy 500 is one of the famous and memorable races of all time.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red knows next to nothing about the Indianapolis 500 race, unlike her sister, Black (who prefers to call it the Indy 500), who knows far more than most people would care to, but Sunday's race was about more than history (Helio Castroneves became the fourth driver to win four times), tradition (including the drinking of milk), and interesting facts.

Whether you're a race fan or not, it only took a passing glance at the fans in the stands to realize that maybe, just maybe, things are starting to return to a sense of normalcy. Even with the venue restricted to 40% of capacity, the Indy 500's the world's largest sporting event since the start of the pandemic. Roger Penske, who bought the racetrack a few months before the pandemic shut down everything, summed it up best,

We're just excited to be opening up America.

Well, Red had no idea who owned the track, but she did know that inside the oval track where the Indianapolis 500 is raced, there's a road course (where drivers make both right and left turns). But, she only knew that because Black raced there with the Ferrari Challenge,

Even after all these years, I'm always amazed and proud of how you were the first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis. And I'm not the only one. Whenever you mention it at speaking engagements, it always gets people's attention, especially girls. Plus, I love how you use the track map to teach about racing, or so people think.

Well, Black, as always, is non-plussed by her achievement. However, she couldn't help but be impressed with how the Paretta team, which features almost all women, went from hoping to qualify (great NPR piece) to making history by racing in the Indy 500 known as the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing," although the race ended for them when the brakes locked on their final pit stop,

The women of the Paretta team – the owner, Beth Paretta, the driver, Simona de Silvestro, and four of the seven over-the-wall pit crew members, the two spotters, two of the engineers, and the entire front office at Paretta Autosport – are the most in motorsports history. Besides adding to the great history of the Indy 500, it is more proof that, as I always tell girls, "Women can do anything!"

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less