Words & Banter

Even Thanksgiving Is … All About The Shoes

Photo courtesy of Red’s eldest daughter, Natasha

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of asking you a warm and fuzzy question, have you thought about what you’re most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I should’ve guessed that you’d take the question literally. Could you expand on that a little, or at least give me a hint?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Friends.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I should’ve guessed that too since John’s been in the hospital for the past several weeks and is one of your oldest friends.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not sure “oldest” is the kindest way to define it, but he and his wife have been my closest friends for over 35 years. To the point that John calls me his “second wife,” although he’s only been legally married once.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That’s funny, but on my recent fall foliage trip, I realized it was so much more than chasing leaves as I experienced the joy and appreciation of visiting a dear friend and her family. And while phone calls, texting, and even FaceTime are great, it’s just not the same as spending time together.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I was going to mention that when you first told me you were going to see Sawyer in Nashville and also spend some time at Amy’s in east Tennessee, but figured you already knew that friendships can easily be taken for granted … until something makes you fully appreciate them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That’s so true. Although I prefer to have a small group of friends, and most of mine I’ve known for decades – either from elementary school, college, or my years living in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, though, none of them now live near me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Friends do not require living in the same town, although that is usually how friendships begin. And, while we may not stay in touch as frequently as we want, over time, we see who our true friends are … they are the ones who are always there for us, during good times and bad. And, in my case, are brave enough to point out when they do not agree with me.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Very brave. My friends have it easier, but I count on them to give me an honest perspective no matter what, although I prefer when they agree with me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you do. And, your friends should be thankful you are so easygoing.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, at the risk of sounding corny, with Thanksgiving just days away, it’s the perfect time to be truly thankful for our dear friends.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It reminds me of the photo that Natasha sent us last year when she was celebrating “Friendsgiving” with her friends in England.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides not realizing it was an actual thing and not Natasha combining the words “friends” and “Thanksgiving,” I was expecting photos of her attempt at making sweet potatoes or other traditional Thanksgiving foods, or maybe a bunch of Brits sitting around the table with the lone American. Not a photo of everyone’s shoes in the entry hallway.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I never thought of Thanksgiving as being “all about the shoes”, but that image sums up the true meaning of the holiday.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Tell the truth; everything’s always all about the shoes for you. But, given this Thanksgiving will be the first without Mom, the image’s a wonderful reminder of the importance of friends who’ve been there for me this year. And I include you as both family and friend.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Once is enough for me. And, as the saying goes, you cannot choose your family but (like shoes) you can choose your friends. So, pick carefully, and then appreciate them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As you know, I love history, but I appreciate many people don’t.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am one of those people, so not sure where you are going with this.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. So, when you first wanted to talk to me about the history of credit cards, I should have known something was up.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, at least been curious.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

How was I supposed to know it would make a difference in my life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Why else would I want to give you a “history lesson”?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by mevans on iStock
Let’s be very clear. Autism has no correlation with intelligence; it’s a developmental disability (or what Black refers to as “DIFF-abilities”). And it’s a spectrum disorder, which means each autistic person has their unique mix of abilities, challenges, and ways of seeing the world (can’t that be said of all of us?!) So, as we celebrate World Autism Acceptance Week, remember it’s more than just awareness – it’s about acceptance.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that April's Autism Awareness Month? I wasn't aware (pun intended) of it until I read our local homeowner's monthly newsletter and it caught my eye.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, last month the founding organization, the Autism Society, changed "Awareness" to "Acceptance" to foster inclusivity, as knowing about something is very different from accepting it. But I am guessing that is not the point of this call.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Although it isn't autism, it reminded me of years ago when we found out that Natasha has learning disabilities.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you mean DIFF-abilities.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, that's another thing I remember. I was focused on the negative aspects of her diagnosis until you asked me, point-blank, "Why are they called disabilities?" And proceeded to explain that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly! Imagine the world if everyone excelled at math, but flunked English. Or, a world of lawyers, but no musicians. Some people are better at social skills, while others excel at handling technical data. Why not just say that people who have different skillsets and abilities have DIFF-abilities versus making them feel like they have shortcomings?
Keep Reading ...Show less

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less