Words & Banter

Dads In School – Delivering Tough Love & Bad Jokes

Dads In School – Delivering Tough Love & Bad Jokes
Dads help curb violence at Louisiana high school

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep thinking about that Twitter link you sent me about the group of dads who came together after violence in their local high school got completely out of hand, and now work in shifts to greet students in the morning and help create a positive environment for learning.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I thought you would appreciate it. I think it is brilliant – so simple, yet so powerful.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As a warm and fuzzy single mom, I was overwhelmed by it. Kids who might act “fearless” to their peers, and even to some adults, often behave differently around their parents. Especially fathers and father figures.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You were always the obedient one, but Mom’s attempts at disciplining and lecturing me fell on deaf ears. But, it was very different with Daddy. All he had to say was that he was disappointed in me and thought I knew better. Or, give me that look of disappointment.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I never knew he’d give you a “look”, but I laughed out loud when one of the students said, "You ever heard of 'a look’?" when talking about the “power" that most dads have. It reminded me of YOUR “look” – the one that none of us want to be on the receiving end of.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it sounds like the students at Southwood High School in Shreveport, Louisiana, do not want to be on the receiving side of a “look” either as ever since the “Dad’s on Duty” arrived there have been no more incidents of violence. Although there has been a steady supply of “Dad Jokes”.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You can’t help but smile and roll your eyes at those. But it’s heartwarming how these dads came together not only for their own kids, but all the kids in the high school. It made me think how wonderful it would be if all high schools could have this.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny you say that. Ever since the initial story went viral, the organization’s founders have been approached by people all across the country who want to duplicate the success.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Imagine, if in addition to PTAs at schools, you also had “Dads on Duty”. How awesome would that be?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Very. There is a great op-ed piece written by a former PTA and PTSA president that addresses just that, and how seeing parents on school campuses provides a sense of family and a sense of security, something that has somehow gotten lost.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That all makes sense. Not to mention, it will give the “Dads on Duty” a wider audience for their jokes.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Jokes that only dads can do …
Photo by Nednappa for iStock

How you celebrate July 4th may change from year to year (Red will still enjoy a quiet holiday, but this year will be reading as it may take all summer to get through “War and Peace”), but what should never change is remembering WHY (one of Black’s favorite words) we celebrate as well as the sacrifices made to live in a free country …

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

This is going to be a very unusual July 4 th for me, with neither girl being home. Natasha always hated the fireworks, but Sawyer would insist we do all the traditional things – barbequing, lots of watermelon, and then watching the fireworks in the Texas heat and humidity. So, this year, I plan to make it a really “cool” holiday … staying in the air-conditioned house, watching a movie or one of my TV series, and celebrating my day of independence from any “mom” responsibilities with a big bucket of freshly popped popcorn!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, everyone celebrates differently. But, when I think of Independence Day, I think about the challenges our Founding Fathers faced when they drafted the Declaration of Independence , especially as they did not always agree on issues. Challenges our nation continues to face (it is a holiday, so I will not get into the increasingly divisive aspects of politics). And, I cannot help but wonder how many people realize the extent of the sacrifices made by those who signed it in exchange for our country’s freedom. Which is why, as we celebrate July 4th, we need to remember,
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Photo by nycshooter on iStock
What do you get when you cross Flag Day (June 14) with June being Effective Communication Month? Well, if you include Black in the mix, you get one of Red’s favorite memories … and a unique way to think about the importance of communicating – whether in your personal or professional life. And especially if you’re in a racecar!

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4 th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory . Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by John Gomez on iStock

There’s much debate about the role America should play in world politics and standing by our allies, and we can’t help but wonder … how many people look at history before forming their opinions? Which is why we feel so strongly about remembering D-Day (and are rerunning the post below), which is about so much more than just a day …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I still can’t believe you didn’t know what D-Day was.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

All I knew was it had to do with World War II and beaches. And, required lots of strategic planning. Remember, I am not a history buff like you.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Or a movie buff. There has been an assortment of D-Day movies, and I wouldn’t expect you to have watched the older movies, like “ The Longest Day” with John Wayne, but I figured you’d have seen “ Saving Private Ryan .”

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The Tom Hanks movie? It was a great war movie, but from what I remember, it was about the search for a particular soldier during WWII. Although I remember the opening scene showed the horrors of war. Regardless, I do not get my “history” from movies that might take literary license for the sake of storytelling, even if Steven Spielberg’s movies are mostly accurate.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That opening scene WAS D-Day.
Keep Reading ...Show less