Dads help curb violence at Louisiana high school

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep thinking about that Twitter link you sent me about the group of dads who came together after violence in their local high school got completely out of hand, and now work in shifts to greet students in the morning and help create a positive environment for learning.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I thought you would appreciate it. I think it is brilliant – so simple, yet so powerful.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

As a warm and fuzzy single mom, I was overwhelmed by it. Kids who might act “fearless” to their peers, and even to some adults, often behave differently around their parents. Especially fathers and father figures.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You were always the obedient one, but Mom’s attempts at disciplining and lecturing me fell on deaf ears. But, it was very different with Daddy. All he had to say was that he was disappointed in me and thought I knew better. Or, give me that look of disappointment.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I never knew he’d give you a “look”, but I laughed out loud when one of the students said, "You ever heard of 'a look’?" when talking about the “power" that most dads have. It reminded me of YOUR “look” – the one that none of us want to be on the receiving end of.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it sounds like the students at Southwood High School in Shreveport, Louisiana, do not want to be on the receiving side of a “look” either as ever since the “Dad’s on Duty” arrived there have been no more incidents of violence. Although there has been a steady supply of “Dad Jokes”.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

You can’t help but smile and roll your eyes at those. But it’s heartwarming how these dads came together not only for their own kids, but all the kids in the high school. It made me think how wonderful it would be if all high schools could have this.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny you say that. Ever since the initial story went viral, the organization’s founders have been approached by people all across the country who want to duplicate the success.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Imagine, if in addition to PTAs at schools, you also had “Dads on Duty”. How awesome would that be?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Very. There is a great op-ed piece written by a former PTA and PTSA president that addresses just that, and how seeing parents on school campuses provides a sense of family and a sense of security, something that has somehow gotten lost.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

That all makes sense. Not to mention, it will give the “Dads on Duty” a wider audience for their jokes.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Jokes that only dads can do …
Photo by enviromantic for iStock

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know I shouldn’t say this, but I can’t stand N95 masks! They make me feel like a duck.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That quacks me up. Regardless, they are much more effective than cloth masks. And, FYI, they do come in different shapes.

assets.rebelmouse.io

I just wish they were more comfortable.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it’s our first column of the year. A new beginning. Any “new” ideas for topics? Something other than New Year’s resolutions.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Is there a reason you do not want to talk about resolutions?

assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, yours was not to ask fewer questions.

Black (use0 assets.rebelmouse.io

That will never happen, but you are avoiding the question. Why?

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Because every year, I have a long list of things I want to do, and I start strong, but within a few months, I fall back into old habits. Sometimes it only takes weeks. It’s frustrating and disappointing.

Black (use) assets.rebelmouse.io

Next question. What is the opposite of “old?"
Keep Reading ... Show less