None of us knows everything, so we shouldn't pretend to have all the answers.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It was the first full day of the new administration and the first time Dr. Anthony Fauci appeared at a White House press briefing in a long time. Earlier in the day President Biden had announced his COVID-19 strategy, which included a wide range of aggressive and immediate actions. Red, who tends to have the news on in the afternoon, couldn't help but take a brief pause from Red & Black (don't tell Black!) to listen to what the doctor had to say. Especially as Red's such a huge fan of his that Black had bought her a Dr. Fauci bobblehead which now sits on her desk.

After listening to his usual measured, thorough, and thoughtful answers, she was about to focus again on work when she heard a reporter ask a question that he didn't have an answer for, and that's when Dr. Fauci's response grabbed her full attention, "One of the new things in this administration is, if you don't know the answer, don't guess. Just say you don't know the answer." After thinking to herself how that was an incredibly honest and direct answer, she then laughed, thinking that his mother would've been so proud of him.

Black prefers to read her news and early in the morning had seen a summary of the presidential actions, so when Red mentioned Dr. Fauci's statement (Black knows she often has the television on while working), she hadn't yet read about the White House's afternoon briefing and that specific quote. She, too, is a fan of Dr. Fauci, not only for his expertise but for his blunt language and explanations. When she read AP's "Fauci unleashed: Doc takes 'liberating' turn at center stage," she realized that Dr. Fauci was sharing more than COVID-19 knowledge, he was sharing lessons that are important in business – and in life. Admitting when you don't know the answer, conflict management, and how to choose your words carefully.

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?