Words & Banter

RED & BLACK … A Monarch For Mere Mortals?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, Prince Charles is now officially King Charles III, and it should be very interesting to see how his reign will be vs. the decades of speculating.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, the moment Queen Elizabeth II died, he automatically became King. Regardless, he has been preparing for the role his entire life.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but there’s something about the pomp and pageantry of a coronation that makes it seem like it’s the beginning of his reign. Not to mention, it’s a rare event as the last one in England was his mother’s in 1952.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The rarity is a monarch ruling for 70 years. Obviously, the next coronation will be in much less than 70 years. If there even is one.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah, there was talk about how the Monarchy should end with Queen Elizabeth. But the idea wasn’t anything new as I remember there was talk of that when I lived in England decades ago.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I can understand why people are questioning whether the Monarchy, with its “old-fashioned” traditions and beliefs, is still relevant. And, having apparent “issues” in terms of race relations certainly does not help.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Are you referring to the story about someone wondering what color Prince Harry and Meghan’s unborn baby would be? Or, more recently, when one of Queen Elizabeth’s long-time ladies in waiting, Lady Susan Hussey, made an embarrassing social gaffe when asking a Black director of a charity where she was “really” from.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Neither specifically, but both in general. The “old guard” comes from a generation that grew up when overt racism was more accepted and institutionalized, and probably internalized those attitudes.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

True. Plus, the Royal Family, or The Firm, which is how the family and institution refers to itself, is very isolated from the real world, so has less exposure to people from different racial and ethnic backgrounds.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is not surprising, but who nicknames themselves? The Firm sounds like a Netflix series, but less refined than “The Crown.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

The Firm” is one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies and is based on the John Grisham novel of the same name. But it has nothing to do with British history. Anyway, as you know, I love Tudor history. However, I’m not an expert on the British Monarchy or the current Royal Family, although I think they serve an important purpose.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

They do when it comes to money. It is a business with over a thousand people working for it, which may explain the nickname. I remember reading a Forbes article that stated the amount of money they bring in (primarily due to tourism) is estimated to contribute $2.7 billion a year to the U.K. economy (pre-pandemic), making the $550 million cost of running it a wise investment.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Wow! Those are huge numbers, but I was referring to the invaluable role the Royal Family played in getting a nation to pull together, and stay together, as they fought not one, but two, World Wars.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

But, that was a long time ago. How is that relevant today?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Sometimes the mere existence of a well-established institution, and its pomp and circumstance, can remind people that they’re a part of something bigger than themselves. That there’s a history that binds you. In this case, as a country. Don’t believe me? Look at the outpouring of grief when Queen Elizabeth II died. The British people put their differences aside and came together in their praise that she was more than a queen; she was a symbol of her country.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but that was a reflection of her 70 years of representing the country. They were honoring the past, which is very different from supporting the Monarchy’s future. Especially given all the drama within the Royal Family, not only going back to Princess Diana, but in terms of Prince Harry and Meghan, and the scandals around King Charles’ brother, Prince Andrew.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

There have always been royal “scandals” or less-than-acceptable behavior. But it does seem worse today.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is it worse? Or, is it because it was much easier to do damage control before the internet and social media? Regardless, the Monarch was always looked upon as a role model and was supposed to represent values worth emulating – love of country, public service, respect, integrity, grace, discretion, tradition …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That’s certainly what Queen Elizabeth II represented. And even King Charles’ sister, Princess Anne, who’s one of the hardest working royals although not given nearly enough recognition.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It is not an easy job, and not one you choose … you are born into it. Obviously, some people are better suited for the role. Or, do a better job preparing. King Charles, the oldest individual to ascend to the throne, has had plenty of time to think about how to honor something as old and established as the Monarchy while still making it relevant in today’s world.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, he has been at the forefront of so many important issues, whether climate change, the environment, conservationism, that used to be considered quirky,but are now mainstream and recognized as critical issues.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

He does have a unique background, and a history of strong opinions, which may make one of his greatest challenges finding the balance between being head of state, where he is required to remain neutral on political matters, and still addressing the important issues facing society.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Given the situation with Prince Harry and Meghan, I’ll be curious how he may shine a much-needed light on mental health and racism. Regardless, he definitely has his royal plate full, and I wish him all the best

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Agree. And, it will be interesting to see what happens to The Firm now that it is under new management.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by filipefrazao on iStock

Were you like Red and shocked when the actor Chadwick Boseman died at the age of 43 after battling colon cancer for years? Cancer isn’t only for older people, and recent studies show more people under 50 are getting cancer. (Doctors aren’t sure why but suspect it may be due to less physical activity, more highly processed foods, and new toxins.) That’s why cancer screenings are more important than ever!

February may be Cancer Prevention Month – but we need to do it all year! Every year. And is why we’re rerunning last year’s post …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that cancer isn’t the “death sentence” it used to be when we were growing up, but it’s still a very scary word. Especially if it’s heard “close to home”.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When we were young, the word was rarely said. And if it was, it was whispered or referred to as the “ c-word.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Kind of like when I had my two miscarriages. No one wanted even to acknowledge, let alone talk about, them. Which made it all the more difficult to get through it, although intellectually, I knew it was not uncommon.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, neither is cancer. It is the second-leading cause of death in the world, surpassed only by heart disease. But, at least, it is no longer a taboo subject.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please don’t make this about numbers. It’s about people. Which you should know. I’m sure you remember when Daddy was diagnosed with parotid gland cancer , which luckily was treatable. And I’ve had skin cancer, although I was very fortunate, it was caught early and easily treated.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by farakos on iStock

Even though Red’sthe warm and fuzzy one and Black’s extremely pragmatic, we both think of hearts on Valentine’s Day. Just not in quite the same way …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Happy Valentine’s Day. And before you say anything, yes, I know you don’t celebrate holidays, so just humor me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

But, I do “celebrate” February being American Heart Month since heart disease is the leading cause of death – for both men and women.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, that’s one way to turn a “fun” holiday into a real downer. Today’s supposed to be about letting people you love and care about know that you’re thinking of them. Think Hallmark cards, squishy teddy bears, chocolate hearts.
Keep Reading ...Show less