Our former website was created in 2009 (in technology years that makes it a dinosaur), and was basically an encyclopedia of Red & Black information and history. But as we were going through everything, it reminded us of how our journey has taken unexpected detours, each filled with surprises, life experiences, and stories. Lots and lots of stories! Of course, Red wanted to stop and reminisce, so Black had to keep reminding her to focus on the new website.

Finally, Black suggested that we create a new section that stood on its own so that Red could stroll down Memory Lane. And although Black prefers to look forward, even she'll admit that sometimes we should look back, but with a caveat and a car analogy …

If you decide to look back, keep it in perspective. There's a reason why windshields are so much larger than rear view mirrors.

Our plan is to provide a glimpse into some of our favorite stops on our journey recognizing that life never seems to go as planned, but that can be a good thing. Along the way, we hope you'll stop and think about your journey … and where it will take you next.

Want to be the first to receive new (and "old") content? Use the "sticky bar" at the bottom of the page to sign up!

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

The last few days have been beautiful fall weather, and I can't help but wonder – do you ever miss having your Ferrari convertible?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Although some days are perfect convertible weather, given I barely drove it the last few years I owned it, averaging less than 50 miles a year, I can honestly say, "No." In fact, I cannot even remember the last time I drove it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't help you with that, but I'll never forget the last day we taught at KIPP Houston High School, and you drove it there. You should've seen the student's faces as you were lowering the top on it.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Aneese on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks for sending me Natasha's Austin-inspired business plan. But while I know that's her future, I can't help but think about the first time I took her to Austin.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

All I remember is that it was love at first sight.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It was on our way home from taking Sawyer to camp, and I told her we were making a slight "detour". She was so excited when I pulled up to the hotel as she's always loved hotels. But that night, as we walked onto Congress Avenue Bridge and saw the thousands and thousands of bats fly out into the sunset, she was mesmerized and "in love".
Keep Reading ... Show less
Underlying photo by Alleko on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that Yom Kippur isn't exactly known as one of the "fun" Jewish holidays, but every year I can't help but laugh at what's easily my number one Yom Kippur memory.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That is what makes memories … memorable. And, finding something to laugh at on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, which is probably the most important and solemn Jewish holiday, would be memorable.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't believe you're not even curious what it is!?
Keep Reading ... Show less