Our former website was created in 2009 (in technology years that makes it a dinosaur), and was basically an encyclopedia of Red & Black information and history. But as we were going through everything, it reminded us of how our journey has taken unexpected detours, each filled with surprises, life experiences, and stories. Lots and lots of stories! Of course, Red wanted to stop and reminisce, so Black had to keep reminding her to focus on the new website.

Finally, Black suggested that we create a new section that stood on its own so that Red could stroll down Memory Lane. And although Black prefers to look forward, even she'll admit that sometimes we should look back, but with a caveat and a car analogy …

If you decide to look back, keep it in perspective. There's a reason why windshields are so much larger than rear view mirrors.

Our plan is to provide a glimpse into some of our favorite stops on our journey recognizing that life never seems to go as planned, but that can be a good thing. Along the way, we hope you'll stop and think about your journey … and where it will take you next.

Want to be the first to receive new (and "old") content? Use the "sticky bar" at the bottom of the page to sign up!

Photo by Walter Bibikow on Alamy

I Love Lucy. For many of us, myself included, those three words bring back memories of favorite episodes of the “I Love Lucy” show. And, although I would be hard-pressed to pick my favorites, some may reminisce that the show, which ran from 1951 – 1957, was from a simpler time and is dated. I would argue that the comic timing, the gags, and the chemistry of the characters have stood the test of time.

Maybe it is because they took frustrating situations in everyday life and then pushed them to the extreme – and made them hilarious along the way. For example, your young child wants a superhero at their birthday party. Reasonable. But for Lucy, after unsuccessfully trying to book Superman (Chris Reeves), she dons the costume in “Lucy and Superman.” A classic.

Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by klohka on iStock

As soon as Black wrote it, it became one of Red's favorite posts, so although we had to wait a year to feature it again, we've always known it would become a new Thanksgiving tradition. After all, what could be a better Turkey Day tradition than a perfect memory about a perfect turkey?

And for everyone, we want to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving that, as Black says below, is … filled with memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ... Show less
True
Photo by Lynda Sanchez on Unsplash

It's a running joke in my family that the only reason I go to the movies is for the popcorn. And while that isn't 100% true, it's probably close as I can't remember a time when popcorn wasn't an essential part of the experience. (I'll admit I couldn't believe it when I recently read that South Korea's banning movie popcorn in the theater!)

I can still remember seeing "Young Frankenstein" when it was first released (in 1974) at the Massapequa movie theater, which was literally at one end of an old strip shopping center. It bore no resemblance to the multiplex cinemas of today, and the concession stand offerings were very limited. It was dark and a bit dingy, and the seats were old and uncomfortable. But I didn't care because the popcorn made up for it. And while I sat through multiple showings of the movie (hey, it's still one of my favorites), I was grateful that my dad had given me enough money to get multiple popcorns as in those days, there was no such thing as the big bucket, let alone free refills.

Keep Reading ... Show less