Words & Banter

Writing In A Book – Right Or Wrong?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I had to laugh this weekend when Sawyer asked if I still had my copy of Vogue magazine with Harry Styles on the cover. When I told her that not only did I have it, but it was still in its plastic wrapper as I hadn't read it yet, she was very happy.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides it being a historic cover, is there a reason you are telling me this?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You tell me. She asked if I could be VERY careful when I read it and to make sure not to bend any of the pages. That she wanted it to remain in pristine condition.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Like mother, like daughter. Except I thought you were only like that with books.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I am. But it did make me wonder if she inherited that trait from me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, learned it by watching you read a book, barely willing to open for fear of breaking the spine. I hope she realized that is not normal.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it is for me. But I'm bracing myself for when she starts college next year, wondering if she'll be like me and want all her textbooks to be brand new and remain pristine.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I still cannot believe you did that. It never dawned on me to tell you to buy used textbooks. Not only to save money, but if you looked for ones that were carefully highlighted and had good notes in the margins, it could save time. I only wished I knew the previous owner's final grade in the course to help me "grade" their annotation skills.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That's funny. But let's face it, you probably did it because, unlike me, you didn't want to do all the reading and studying yourself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it allowed me to focus on key points and the big picture. When and if necessary, I could go back for additional detail. It was efficient.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, you've always been a big picture and bullet-point type person.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, you have always been that "straight-A student" who takes copious notes – just never directly in a book.
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less