Words & Banter

Writing In A Book – Right Or Wrong?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I had to laugh this weekend when Sawyer asked if I still had my copy of Vogue magazine with Harry Styles on the cover. When I told her that not only did I have it, but it was still in its plastic wrapper as I hadn't read it yet, she was very happy.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides it being a historic cover, is there a reason you are telling me this?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You tell me. She asked if I could be VERY careful when I read it and to make sure not to bend any of the pages. That she wanted it to remain in pristine condition.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Like mother, like daughter. Except I thought you were only like that with books.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I am. But it did make me wonder if she inherited that trait from me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, learned it by watching you read a book, barely willing to open for fear of breaking the spine. I hope she realized that is not normal.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it is for me. But I'm bracing myself for when she starts college next year, wondering if she'll be like me and want all her textbooks to be brand new and remain pristine.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I still cannot believe you did that. It never dawned on me to tell you to buy used textbooks. Not only to save money, but if you looked for ones that were carefully highlighted and had good notes in the margins, it could save time. I only wished I knew the previous owner's final grade in the course to help me "grade" their annotation skills.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That's funny. But let's face it, you probably did it because, unlike me, you didn't want to do all the reading and studying yourself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it allowed me to focus on key points and the big picture. When and if necessary, I could go back for additional detail. It was efficient.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, you've always been a big picture and bullet-point type person.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, you have always been that "straight-A student" who takes copious notes – just never directly in a book.
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

Are you taking the Dry January challenge and not having any alcohol for the month? Or, maybe you plan to drink less (but not nothing), which makes it Damp January. Or, maybe this is the first you’ve heard of it. (If so, there’s still time to start!)

Well, nothing much has changed from our approach to Dry January last year, except the one who had started drinking more last year is continuing the trend …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK , started Dry January , where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.

It’s January, and everyone’s probably tired of reading about New Year’s resolutions.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not me. Since I never make them, I never feel the need to read about them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you don’t. So, what should we write about?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How about that we celebrate some of our favorite things in January?

So many “National Days” in January are fun (we’ve written about them over the years) and remind us of some of our favorite things. (Can you pick which are Red’s favorite holidays and which are Black’s?) And whether or not you make resolutions, it’s always important to have a sense of humor and enjoy the simpler things in life …

Answer: Red’s favorites are Bagels, Popcorn, and Hugging. Black’s are Clean Desk, Bagels, and Backward.

Wishing you Happy 2024 – with new beginnings and much more!