red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I had to laugh this weekend when Sawyer asked if I still had my copy of Vogue magazine with Harry Styles on the cover. When I told her that not only did I have it, but it was still in its plastic wrapper as I hadn't read it yet, she was very happy.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides it being a historic cover, is there a reason you are telling me this?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You tell me. She asked if I could be VERY careful when I read it and to make sure not to bend any of the pages. That she wanted it to remain in pristine condition.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Like mother, like daughter. Except I thought you were only like that with books.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I am. But it did make me wonder if she inherited that trait from me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, learned it by watching you read a book, barely willing to open for fear of breaking the spine. I hope she realized that is not normal.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it is for me. But I'm bracing myself for when she starts college next year, wondering if she'll be like me and want all her textbooks to be brand new and remain pristine.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I still cannot believe you did that. It never dawned on me to tell you to buy used textbooks. Not only to save money, but if you looked for ones that were carefully highlighted and had good notes in the margins, it could save time. I only wished I knew the previous owner's final grade in the course to help me "grade" their annotation skills.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That's funny. But let's face it, you probably did it because, unlike me, you didn't want to do all the reading and studying yourself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it allowed me to focus on key points and the big picture. When and if necessary, I could go back for additional detail. It was efficient.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, you've always been a big picture and bullet-point type person.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, you have always been that "straight-A student" who takes copious notes – just never directly in a book.

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I may not celebrate Rosh Hashanah by going to temple, and now that the girls are no longer home for the holiday, I don’t prepare a seder with the traditional foods . But I know and appreciate that it’s one of the most important Jewish holidays, as it’s a time for reflection on the past and hope for the future. And this year, between world events, where I feel surrounded by so much negativity, and on the personal front, with Mom’s passing, it seems more important than ever before.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Although Rosh Hashanah is filled with traditions, like apples dipped in honey because it is believed apples have healing properties (think of the rhyme, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”), and the honey signifies the hope for a new year that will be sweet … it is still incredibly relevant. In today’s hectic world, a contemplative holiday where you stop and think about the road you have traveled over the last year (including any wrong turns) and where you would like to go in the future may be exactly what we all need.

We wish everyone who celebrates Rosh Hashanah a happy and sweet New Year. And remember, you don’t have to be Jewish to look back and reflect … and then try to do better in the future.

So, I had to smile when Sawyer came to visit us at Mom’s estate sale. And even though I had seen her only a few hours before, I gave her a hug.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, you make it rather obvious that you are warm and fuzzy. And, a hugger.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

But what made me laugh was when she greeted you by acknowledging that you weren’t a hugger. Now there’s an understatement.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, it is merely a fact.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I never realized, though, just how much both Natasha and Sawyer are like you. Although they begrudgingly let me hug them, they’d both be just as happy with a handshake. If that.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe a fist bump?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Credit: Photo by Maha1450 on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you celebrate Labor Day by just, well, laboring away on Red & Black. But that’s how you celebrate most holidays. For me, I always enjoy celebrating the last three-day weekend of the summer, although the challenge will be deciding what to do this Labor Day. Escape to a movie (ok, my passion’s the popcorn), go to Dunkin’ for a leisurely coffee (it always brings back memories of growing up in New York), read, or climb into bed and watch old episodes of Downton Abbey. Or, maybe “all of the above”!

But before you say anything, yes, I’m well aware that today’s more than a day off and a potential “cut-off” for wearing white (😊). It’s about honoring American workers and all the many contributions they’ve made and continue to make.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you love history, but do you know the history of Labor Day includes violence and a deadly railroad strike? And, was a way for politicians to “prove” they cared about workers? It is too bad people do not typically walk around thanking others for the work they do (imagine the impact if we did), but maybe you will get inspired by these Labor Day quotes.

And, in terms of me “laboring” today. Of course, I am. I look forward to the quiet time of weekends, especially long ones, to work on strategic projects needing large blocks of uninterrupted time or one of my passion projects. To you, it might appear as if I am “working”, but I am doing what makes me happy. Although tomorrow morning, you may not be happy when you find all my emails that will be waiting in your inbox.