red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I had to laugh this weekend when Sawyer asked if I still had my copy of Vogue magazine with Harry Styles on the cover. When I told her that not only did I have it, but it was still in its plastic wrapper as I hadn't read it yet, she was very happy.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides it being a historic cover, is there a reason you are telling me this?

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

You tell me. She asked if I could be VERY careful when I read it and to make sure not to bend any of the pages. That she wanted it to remain in pristine condition.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Like mother, like daughter. Except I thought you were only like that with books.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I am. But it did make me wonder if she inherited that trait from me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, learned it by watching you read a book, barely willing to open for fear of breaking the spine. I hope she realized that is not normal.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it is for me. But I'm bracing myself for when she starts college next year, wondering if she'll be like me and want all her textbooks to be brand new and remain pristine.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I still cannot believe you did that. It never dawned on me to tell you to buy used textbooks. Not only to save money, but if you looked for ones that were carefully highlighted and had good notes in the margins, it could save time. I only wished I knew the previous owner's final grade in the course to help me "grade" their annotation skills.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

That's funny. But let's face it, you probably did it because, unlike me, you didn't want to do all the reading and studying yourself.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it allowed me to focus on key points and the big picture. When and if necessary, I could go back for additional detail. It was efficient.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, you've always been a big picture and bullet-point type person.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

And, you have always been that "straight-A student" who takes copious notes – just never directly in a book.
Photo by mevans on iStock

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that April's Autism Awareness Month? I wasn't aware (pun intended) of it until I read our local homeowner's monthly newsletter and it caught my eye.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, last month the founding organization, the Autism Society, changed "Awareness" to "Acceptance" to foster inclusivity, as knowing about something is very different from accepting it. But I am guessing that is not the point of this call.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Although it isn't autism, it reminded me of years ago when we found out that Natasha has learning disabilities.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you mean DIFF-abilities.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, that's another thing I remember. I was focused on the negative aspects of her diagnosis until you asked me, point-blank, "Why are they called disabilities?" And proceeded to explain that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly! Imagine the world if everyone excelled at math, but flunked English. Or, a world of lawyers, but no musicians. Some people are better at social skills, while others excel at handling technical data. Why not just say that people who have different skillsets and abilities have DIFF-abilities versus making them feel like they have shortcomings?

Well, the Oprah interview with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle was over a month ago, but I still see plenty of articles about it. It's really "stirred up" things in the Royal Family.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, I guess it put "a bee in the royal bonnet." Although, I would not believe everything you read. Right after the interview, I read several articles suggesting the monarchy should end with Queen Elizabeth. I cannot imagine that happening.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Oh, that isn't anything new. It's been going on for a long time; there was even talk of it when I lived in England decades ago. All the interview did was further encourage those who are already advocating it.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, but as I said in our Banter Bite, Talk About Getting The Royal Treatment, the Royal Family does seem to have "issues" in terms of race relations and dealing with mental illness. I can understand why people are questioning whether the monarchy, with its "old-fashioned" traditions and beliefs, is still relevant.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

But it's not like that's the only place those issues exist. Just pick up a newspaper, turn on the news – it's everywhere! Unfortunately, the Oprah interview put a very public face on it – The Royal Family, or The Firm, which is how the family and institution refers to itself.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Who nicknames themselves The Firm? It sounds like a Netflix series, but with less class than " The Crown."
Keep Reading ... Show less