Wheaties may be called the "breakfast of champions," but how do you define "champion"?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Wheaties have been around 100 years, and for Red, just the "name" brings back memories of eating breakfast cereal as a kid, but Black's first thought isn't about breakfast but about how cereal's a big (and interesting) business.

Black remembered learning about the industry when getting her M.B.A. Besides the fact the product was created by accident, Wheaties is a perfect example of the power of marketing. Over the years, the choice of athletes has come under scrutiny, but the cereal has, even with the focus on eating healthier, stood the test of time.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, when we learned that Wheaties was turning 100 (along with some other fun facts), we realized neither one of us has ever eaten them. Not a single Wheatie flake. It doesn't mean that we're not familiar with them, but it's entirely due to recognizing the famous athletes (so famous that even Red usually knows who they are) featured on their boxes.

So, why no Wheaties? Well, for Red,

Growing up, I preferred the traditional breakfast cereals that all kids love. You know what I'm talking about – the ones that were full of sugar. My favorite? Without a doubt, that would be Cap'n Crunch. And even today, I'd never buy a box because I'd probably devour it in a single sitting. Ok, that may be an exaggeration; it might take two. But let's be real – a 20 oz box claims it's over 20 servings. What are they using? A teacup instead of a cereal bowl?

And Black? Well, surprisingly, she wasn't much better than Red,

I was a Kellogg's Frosted Flakes girl, as was our father, although I preferred eating mine dry and right out of the box. I guess I was into efficiency at an early age. Regardless, I have wonderful memories of the two of us bonding over cereal, which sounds like a very healthy breakfast to me.

As adults, both of us have been known to eat cereal for a late lunch and sometimes even dinner. Although we now make healthier choices. Red incorporates her favorite triple berry granola with fresh berries and Greek yogurt (thanks, Starbucks, for the parfait inspiration!) And Black will eat oatmeal (not sure if that's technically "cereal") with fresh bananas and berries late in the afternoon before going out for an evening that includes wine and alcohol. Leave it to Black to eat before going to dinner!

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less