Banter Bites

The Breakfast (And Marketing) Of Champions

Wheaties may be called the "breakfast of champions," but how do you define "champion"?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Wheaties have been around 100 years, and for Red, just the "name" brings back memories of eating breakfast cereal as a kid, but Black's first thought isn't about breakfast but about how cereal's a big (and interesting) business.

Black remembered learning about the industry when getting her M.B.A. Besides the fact the product was created by accident, Wheaties is a perfect example of the power of marketing. Over the years, the choice of athletes has come under scrutiny, but the cereal has, even with the focus on eating healthier, stood the test of time.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, when we learned that Wheaties was turning 100 (along with some other fun facts), we realized neither one of us has ever eaten them. Not a single Wheatie flake. It doesn't mean that we're not familiar with them, but it's entirely due to recognizing the famous athletes (so famous that even Red usually knows who they are) featured on their boxes.

So, why no Wheaties? Well, for Red,

Growing up, I preferred the traditional breakfast cereals that all kids love. You know what I'm talking about – the ones that were full of sugar. My favorite? Without a doubt, that would be Cap'n Crunch. And even today, I'd never buy a box because I'd probably devour it in a single sitting. Ok, that may be an exaggeration; it might take two. But let's be real – a 20 oz box claims it's over 20 servings. What are they using? A teacup instead of a cereal bowl?

And Black? Well, surprisingly, she wasn't much better than Red,

I was a Kellogg's Frosted Flakes girl, as was our father, although I preferred eating mine dry and right out of the box. I guess I was into efficiency at an early age. Regardless, I have wonderful memories of the two of us bonding over cereal, which sounds like a very healthy breakfast to me.

As adults, both of us have been known to eat cereal for a late lunch and sometimes even dinner. Although we now make healthier choices. Red incorporates her favorite triple berry granola with fresh berries and Greek yogurt (thanks, Starbucks, for the parfait inspiration!) And Black will eat oatmeal (not sure if that's technically "cereal") with fresh bananas and berries late in the afternoon before going out for an evening that includes wine and alcohol. Leave it to Black to eat before going to dinner!

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less