Wheaties may be called the "breakfast of champions," but how do you define "champion"?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Wheaties have been around 100 years, and for Red, just the "name" brings back memories of eating breakfast cereal as a kid, but Black's first thought isn't about breakfast but about how cereal's a big (and interesting) business.

Black remembered learning about the industry when getting her M.B.A. Besides the fact the product was created by accident, Wheaties is a perfect example of the power of marketing. Over the years, the choice of athletes has come under scrutiny, but the cereal has, even with the focus on eating healthier, stood the test of time.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, when we learned that Wheaties was turning 100 (along with some other fun facts), we realized neither one of us has ever eaten them. Not a single Wheatie flake. It doesn't mean that we're not familiar with them, but it's entirely due to recognizing the famous athletes (so famous that even Red usually knows who they are) featured on their boxes.

So, why no Wheaties? Well, for Red,

Growing up, I preferred the traditional breakfast cereals that all kids love. You know what I'm talking about – the ones that were full of sugar. My favorite? Without a doubt, that would be Cap'n Crunch. And even today, I'd never buy a box because I'd probably devour it in a single sitting. Ok, that may be an exaggeration; it might take two. But let's be real – a 20 oz box claims it's over 20 servings. What are they using? A teacup instead of a cereal bowl?

And Black? Well, surprisingly, she wasn't much better than Red,

I was a Kellogg's Frosted Flakes girl, as was our father, although I preferred eating mine dry and right out of the box. I guess I was into efficiency at an early age. Regardless, I have wonderful memories of the two of us bonding over cereal, which sounds like a very healthy breakfast to me.

As adults, both of us have been known to eat cereal for a late lunch and sometimes even dinner. Although we now make healthier choices. Red incorporates her favorite triple berry granola with fresh berries and Greek yogurt (thanks, Starbucks, for the parfait inspiration!) And Black will eat oatmeal (not sure if that's technically "cereal") with fresh bananas and berries late in the afternoon before going out for an evening that includes wine and alcohol. Leave it to Black to eat before going to dinner!

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less